Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

As a new student, I can understand the desire to wear a skirt to class - it's flowy, it's fun, it's glittery, etc... Wanting to look like you think a belly dancer should look like is part of the initial attraction to the dance.

BUT - yeah, you can't see the legs.

My instructor prefers leggings or yoga pants that are tight enough so that she can see how much the knee and hip is bending, they must also not drag on the floor so that she can see what our feet and ankles are doing. We also wear coin belts, which go a long way towards satisfying that 'glittery urge', and also hide those lumpy hips and buns that the leggings do such a good job of emphasizing. I have never found that interfere with hearing the instructor or the music though. For us beginners, she doesn't insist so much on being able to see the abdomen, since most of us beginners can't isolate our abdominal muscles much yet. Once my classes start up again in a couple of weeks, I will need to wear my tighter tops so that I can get more feedback (I am starting to 'get it' with those muscles).

If you have a lot of students that want to wear skirts, maybe have the last 5-10 minutes of class as a 'skirt alowed' time? Just for the fun of wearing it? Or maybe allow them for the warm-up?

BP

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a meeting of rec center teachers last night where we were encouraged to wear official rec center shirts when teaching our classes. When asked if anyone had a special preference for style, I asked for a rec center hip scarf. Do you know they didn't have a single one? They didn't have a rec center gi for the karate teachers, either. Blatant discrimination.

Post Thanks / Like

No socks! lol. Pretty much the same as every one else. Leggings of some manner and a fitted top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I stipulate no jeans, sweatshirts or hide-it-all tee shirts, and prefer my students wear something that allows me to see their legs and torsos. If they turn up in skirts, I have them tuck the skirts into their hip scarves. I also do not allow students to wear socks or shoes, which seems to upset some people more than the idea of showing their tummies, but the possibility of someone slipping and falling in socks is too great, and shoes are too confining unless the student has a problem with her feet. I had one woman dance in boots for a year because of a foot injury.

I really love that sooner or later even the students who initially show up in tee shirts hanging to their knees become comfortable enough with themselves and their sister students to tuck up their shirts under their bras. Tummy exposure equals personal empowerment!
    Yyyyyyyyyyeah...last year, my teacher found out the danger of wearing socks in class when her feet went out from under her and she fell flat on her patoose. Lucklily she wasn't hurt, and she laughed so hard she could hardly get up, but yeah, we learned from her example.

She is now in her second year of teaching, and I'm watching her grow as a teacher. She's rather easygoing about what to wear to class (of course, no street clothes or shoes). The beginner students show up in yoga or jogging pants and T-shirts, but as Shanazel said, some of the students ease up as time goes on, and they eventually drop the long T-shirts for cropped tops or sports bras. Those of us that were with her last year drooled over costumes, so we've all bought beginner costumes either online, or have gotten crafty and made our own. As for the skirts, we don't normally wear skirts unless we're learning a "skirt dance" (well, we've only learned one so far). Most of us have either bought or made our own 10-yard skirt, and our teacher has an extra skirt or two to borrow during class for the ones who don't have one yet (she usually provides extra coin hip scarves and veils to beginners, too). She encourages those who buy or make new costumes to wear them to class to "test drive" them to make sure they fit and move properly (or stay put properly) while dancing. She helps us out a lot when it comes to costuming ideas, because most of us have ventured out into student performing.

I think it's time for me to go to bed; I've just corrected THREE typos...
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 12-31-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: starting to make t---AHHH!! I'm making typos in my "Reason for Editing"!! -_-;

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer them to wear leggings/yoga pants, as others have mentioned, so I can see their form, when new ladies join I explain this. If they feel more comfortable in a skirt I can understand that, it's less revealing but we can still tell if something is going wrong under there... that sounds a bit odd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12