General belly dance tips

Ludmilla

Yasmine -- Thanks so much! The sources you mention sound good, too -- I really appreciate that you were able to write this in such a way that I can follow it, and really get somewhere w/ this! Happy twirling, too -- (there is something just so satisfying about this -- twirling... what is it) -- Now if I can add the back bend... Ludy :)

You're welcome Ludmilla!:)
Additional tips I would like to add:
Level changes-Level changes can add variation to very basic moves. Up on the toes(releve) or bending your knees (plie). When in plie, make sure you keep your spine lengthened to avoid bending forward. And in releve, maintain focus on using your core muscles. In each case only go as low or as high as your body permits to maintain posture and movement intergrity.
Direction changes-Changing direction can also add variation to moves. Dancers can use the clock method. The clock method is pretending you are standing in the middle of the clock where 12:00 is in front, 3:00 is always to your right, 6:00 is always behind you and 9:00 is always to your left. You can travel forward, sideays and to the back based on the "clock". Of course you can move each body part or travel according to the clock method, and you can do diagonal moves to 11:00, 1:00. 5;00 and 7:00.
Happy Dancing
Yasmine

Ludmilla

Hi Yasmine! These are great moves to try!! -- Level changes and directional changes would add so much to a "simple" cane routine... What great suggestions!!! I really like the way you describe these -- very clear to follow -- Thanks so much!
Guess I am now wanting to ask: Is there a particular song, music type or rhythm that would go well w/ a routine like this? (I am trying to think -- are cane routines snappy and rhythmic? I tend to think so, but can't think of a particular song or music that would be really suited) -- I usually like to dance to Egyptian pop tunes. I realize more of a classical Saidi would seem best...?
Also, since you mentioned the Nourhan Sharif Saidi DVD, I had heard (or read in a review perhaps) that that particular DVD was not so good, due to production quality, and possible other issues for instance... Is that true in your view? I had looked at it before but decided against it as those types of issues w/ DVD can make them difficult to follow no matter how great the content is..... Thought I would ask, since you mentioned that one............ Have a great day -- Ludy

Hi Ludmilla, I'm glad you are enjoying this thread. IMO, cand dances reflect on the folkloric aspect of bellydance. The top stars in Egypt often included a "downhome" folkloric number in their snazzy routines. I would recommend learning and understanding the Saidi rhythm which has a snappy tempo(4/4), before trying to fuse the can work with Arabic pop. This way you can increase your knowledge of the dance and be a well-rounded dancer. I love the Saidi beat which is similar to the beledi rhythm.
As far as specific music, it's best to follow your ear and pick something that appeals to you. For startes I can recommend the following CD's that have good Saidi beats
1)Rhythm of the Dance-By Solace(Jeremiah Soto). An excellent compilation of 11 basic Arabic rhythms.Track # is called Saidi and it's 3:17. In fact Solace's CD's often feature the rhythm on the cover.
2)Best of Baladi and Saidi-By Hossam Ramzy. Again another very excellent CD.There are 8 Saidi tracks and 5 Baladi tracks in a 2 CD compilation. Hossam's compositions are a bit more tradirional sounding than Soalce, but it;s good to train your ear to the music.
3)Essential Bellydance-Neena nd Venna are listed on the cover but they didn't create the music. They compiled the music and the musicians are listed on the back cover. Track #16 is Mazamir Holiday(Saidia cane dance) and it's 3:15 long.
You can order the CD"s directyl from the websites are check out Dahlal's music section.
As far as Nouran's video, I felt it was excellent not only in the material presented but also in the clear way movements are explained. Her video is best suited for intermediate and above. The production quality is very good, Nourhan stand against a blue backdrop so every move is seen clearly. She also shows you different angles including her feet. She explains how to hold the cane, move it thru space and of course twirl. She also demonstrates short combos from Yousry's choreographies and short drills. I bought it 6mos ago and I'm still learning from it. It's definitely worth the money. Of course, also have your teacher help you too.
Happy Twirling
Yasmine

Ludmilla

Yasmine -- I will check out those Saidi rythms and CD's you mentioned! Yes, I really agree, in fact I was delving into cane moves exactly to round out my "repertoire' as it were......and do want wider knowledge.
On the Nourhan Sharif video, just to confirm, you are suggesting the Saidi DVD, right? (She has a more 'basic' one that I've heard is good, but for what we are talking about, you are referring to the Saidi vid/DVD, right? ) If that's it, I would definitely get it as it is right what I am wanting to focus on right now and since the negative comments I'd read somewhere were a bit overblown, it sounds like. Ludy :)

Last edited:
Yes, the video I'm referring to is "Rakset Assaya:An Introduction to Egyptian Saidi Technique". Let us know how your choreography turns out, maybe a youtube video?:)
Yasmine