General belly dance tips

Jamil

Would people like to list some of their own personal tips in reference to performing, prop work, keeping fit, or anything else associated to us (performing) belly dancers?

I will list a few of mine if this post picks up! :)

Okay Jamil I'll start. If anyone is thinking about performing, first tip I would like to give is start getting serious about an exercise program geared toward increasing strength and endurance. A dancer needs strong arms for veil work, cane and sword routines. In addition working on flexibility will help with floorwork(if so desired). Another tip would be to develop a business plan for your profession i.e contracts, appropriate venues and of wages. Salome has a good article about dancing professionally. that's all I have for now, when I think of a few more tips, I'll come back.
Yasmine

Madeline

I highly recommend taking ballet and modern dance classes. Both will get you in great shape, and they really will make a difference in your bellydance technique! :D

miss_shimmy

practise

practise makes perfect,watch lots of other dancers and do a little callanetics to make your body extra strong.

hugs

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Gabi

practise makes perfect,watch lots of other dancers and do a little callanetics to make your body extra strong.

hugs

miss shimmy

Hey Miss Shimmy, you've mentioned this callanetics several times, can you say more? Do you find it advantageous over the usual squats and such?

I recommend physical and mental therapy and lots of advil:eek:

Jamil

kool kool

nice posts ladies!
thanx for that

my tips that i had in mind were a little more simpler then those good tips just mentioned

some good things i have learnt along the way:
  • when practicing with the cane, place a rubber elastic band at the bottom of it so that it does not slip out of your hand.
  • with the sword, balance it on your finger til you find the balancing point, then mark it with a pencil. after that paint a 2.5 cm line out from the point with clear Nail polish and dust it with sand. this will create fricktion making it difficult to slip off your head.
  • alternatively, rub a candle on that region and the wax will provide some friction.
  • while spinning, if you get dizzy. do a quick spin in the opposite direction and your focus will get back to 'normal.' not bothered explaining the biology behind it, but it works.:D
  • trouble spinning? no worry! lightly dust your feet with talcom powder before your next performance, and away you go! (assuming you are not dancing on carpet ofcorse)
  • after your next performance, when your costume is drenched. take it off after your last show and wrap it all up in a towel/s. it will absorb the sweat, save you drycleaning it every week and prolong the life of your costume.
  • Keep your advertising up, by attaching a small accessible pocket to the inside of your pants/dress that you can keep business cards in. that way if someone is interested in you while your dancing, you can premote yourself without having to go back to the changeroom!
i hope they helped, i have many more... but i also have a mind blank!
will post more when i remember!

-Jamil-

Hi Everyone , here are some tips that help me
Lift arms from the torso of your body instead of the shoulders. you can prevent fatigue and maintain a lifted look. Also, it makes overhead movements with the veil easier.
To create great hip lock accents contract/clench the glute and thigh muscles. The same applies for tight looking chest pops and locks when you contract your diaphragm and upper back muscles.
If you need a quick tummy cover, use a pair of pantyhose that matches your skin tone. cut off the legs and pull it up, turn the seams to the sides and you are done!(However this trick is usually good for one or two performances until your real tummy cover arrives!:rolleyes: )
Tired of doing endless hip accents to drum solos, try this hip-hop inspired combination: Lift one shoulder up on the vertical plane(shoulder shrug) slide your head to meet the shoulder. Drop your shoulder as you bring the head back to center. Repeat on the opposite side. While practicing this move, you may keep your hands on your hips. Keep your head level and slightly forward to prevent neck pain.This is one of my favorite moves and looks great as you hit each dramatic drum accent! Hey we can call it Yasmine's Head Lock:D
To maintain objects on your head such as a sword or cane, it helps to bring your head forward just slightly with your shoulders back and down to prevent excessive movements from the lower body from travelling up and tipping theor swaying the object. Movements closer to the head like shoulder and chest accens are more likely to sway the object than movements further away. when turning ,turn with the body first and than the head.

So Jamil how was that?
Yasmine

Mariesaffron

General belly dance tips

I do a lot of Balancing, as of matter of fact it is my specialty; I has never try the one for the sword, about the nail polish and sand but a hear it from Princess Farhana, and Neon have a good one for balancing the candle try, look at her web site, to balance I do my hair in a way that look held up but loose so the try stay in center with a litlle support by my own hair. for the sword I roll a veil and place it around my head, a little rub with a glued stick helps the sword to stay in place, it really take away the slippery efect.

Amulya

There is one thing you will hear many dancers say:
"pins are a dancers best friend". Always keep pins with you when you go out performing, in case something goes wrong with the costume, you can save it:)

miss_shimmy

hi

Hey Miss Shimmy, you've mentioned this callanetics several times, can you say more? Do you find it advantageous over the usual squats and such?

for me and my experiance yes I do.

Callanetics is a series of small, gentle, precise motions consistently applied that activate the body's largest most powerful muscles to quickly tighten hips, buttocks, inner and outer thighs; flatten the tummy; lift the bust and firm underarms and tone the entire body. It will also dramatically improve your posture. You will feel the difference after one hour and most people actually see a difference after two hours. By following the simple 60 minute Callanetics workout twice a week, the body you always dreamed about is only hours away.

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gabi

for me and my experiance yes I do.

Callanetics is a series of small, gentle, precise motions consistently applied that activate the body's largest most powerful muscles to quickly tighten hips, buttocks, inner and outer thighs; flatten the tummy; lift the bust and firm underarms and tone the entire body. It will also dramatically improve your posture. You will feel the difference after one hour and most people actually see a difference after two hours. By following the simple 60 minute Callanetics workout twice a week, the body you always dreamed about is only hours away.

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Miss Shimmy - I'll google it up and check it out :)

Aniseteph

I like Callanetics too. It was big in the late 80's/early 90's, post Jane Fonda and all that aerobics :eek:.
Does amazing things for saggy bits with none of all that jumping up and down. I must dust off my old video and have another go...

miss_shimmy

:)

Does amazing things for saggy bits with none of all that jumping up and down. I must dust off my old video and have another go...

he he he,you are certainly right there...gone with the goosh!

Thanks Miss Shimmy - I'll google it up and check it out

good luck with that Gabi,I do 2 hours a week.

tried the talc on the feet for dancing last night,was wonderful!!!!!

miss shimmy

Ludmilla

nice posts ladies!
thanx for that

my tips that i had in mind were a little more simpler then those good tips just mentioned

some good things i have learnt along the way:
  • when practicing with the cane, place a rubber elastic band at the bottom of it so that it does not slip out of your hand.
    -Jamil-

• Great tips -- question: w/ the cane - the elastic is good, works well. COuld someone explain how to hold the cane when doing the (great looking) move of whirling the cane in front of you in a figure 8 (Esp looks awesome when doing a back bend and whirling the cane above your chest, out in front of you). But how to hold it in your hand. regular twirling has a method to it for handling, this other twirl though, not sure whether to grab it (looks bad of course), or try between two fingers.....:confused:

Hi Ludmilla, the general way to hold the cane is the hook side pointing toward ceiling. Grasp the cane about 2 in from the bottom between the thumb and forefinger. Now stop. Before you actually start to twirl the cane...focus on your arms. In Saidi cane dances the opposite arm crosses over beneath the chest and the hand rests on your side under the twirling hand. The arm holding the cane is relaxed, the shoulder is down and there is very little tension in the arm, because the wrists will be doing the true twirling motion.
Now back to twirling. Close your fingers lightly around the cane for support, like a veil do not grip it tightly. Loosen the fingers so the hook end of the cane falls forward in front of you, as this happens the wrist should follow the cane and your arm remains relaxed. Before the cane hits the floor,you will find that the cane will nestle in the crook of your thumb(the thumb will curl around it) for stability. Then twirl your wrist up and the cane will follow . As the cane returns to the original position allow the rest of your fingers to loosely grab the cane. This how I learned it, but if ny forum members know of a better technique, I'll be glad to hear your input. I hpoe this helps.
Yasmine

Oops i forgot

Hi again Ludmilla, for the figure 8 twirl, you would use the same handling method, but this time the arm will create a swooping arc in front of the body in a horizontal pattern(think infinity symbol).So instead of the hook side pointing toward the ceiling, the hook end will point to each side of the body. Like anything else it will take practice, so try doing it standing still before you try the backbend.
Yasmine

elle21

Great tips -- question: w/ the cane - the elastic is good, works well. COuld someone explain how to hold the cane when doing the (great looking) move of whirling the cane in front of you in a figure 8 (Esp looks awesome when doing a back bend and whirling the cane above your chest, out in front of you). But how to hold it in your hand. regular twirling has a method to it for handling, this other twirl though, not sure whether to grab it (looks bad of course), or try between two fingers.....:confused:

hey Ludmilla,

If you already sussed it, please ignore me but the trick that had me stumped for ages with this move is that you have to hold the stick the other way up from how you would normally twirl it: so if you're holding your arm out in front of you, the stick points down towards the ground. When I first tried it I was trying to contort my wrists in impossible directions!

Ludmilla

Hi Yasmine and Elle21!! Yasmine - thanks for explaining very clearly! This really helps, and Elle, too.

Yasmine - as far as for the Fig 8 move (in front of you) -- try as I might, I end up wanting to (maybe from reflexes, or fear it will fly out of my hand) grab it like a fishing pole or like a conductor holding a baton...... I can do it swimmingly if I have it where the end of the cane is sitting couched right in the palm of my hand, or, if I hold the entire lowest 4 inches of the cane (as a fist closing around that bottom end of the cane) - but I feel none of these are close to what you are explaining. The 'regular twirl' between thumb and forefinger, in crook of thumb makes perfect sense, is secure, and twirls freely. Again, for this fig 8/twirl move, are the rest of the fingers really not supposed to close around the cane? (If they do, it's fairly easy, rotating the wrist, but I feel there must be a graceful way that is correct for this). And when I do that my entire hand can be seen directing the cane (hardly a very accomplished looking move at that point, then)
Or, are you saying that the motion is in the arm creating the figure 8 shape rather than by twirling the cane w/ the wrist motion to create the figure 8....? And if the motion is created by the arm, then yes, it would make sense that the cane can be held in the same 'rather loose' thumb/forefinger method as usually....:confused: again......
However, it is starting to really make sense, where you say "down" -- that is, w/ my thumb (of my right hand) nearest to me, where cane can be held w/ the thumb/forefinger, similar to the 'normal' method of holding it, just 'reversed', and then using the lower arm (forearm) to create the motion (it's more a forearm motion than wrist, to create the fig 8...)? Is that more the right idea? This sounds funny, but creating the fig 8 that way, (part wrist and forearm motion, fingers remain pretty still, just loose enough to allow the cane to swerve...) reminds me so much of a drum majorette twirling a baton, that look..... But it seems fairly smooth looking and feeling, so if that's it, great. Yasmine, is that it, or not yet...?
-- Ludy -

Last edited:
Hi Ludmilla, Yay! Yes by George,I've think you've got it!(insert British accent)
The figure 8 twirl is directed more by the arm than the wrists.And again you are right, the position of the cane in your hand remains the same as for regular twirling. And you are right again, where your fear of losing the cane /reflexes will cause you to grab it tightly thereby losing the 'flow" of movement.
Do you know how long I practiced that move? But I kept practicing until the movement becomes second nature. Next time ask your teacher to watch and give you pointers, as this is hard to do in front of a mirror. additional resources.www.nourhansharif.com and her husband Yousry have an excellent video re:Saidi technique. And www.ketisharif.com(not related) has useful pictures posted on her website re:cane and Saidi technique.
Happy Twirling
Yasmine

Last edited by a moderator: