Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Seriously, was disco ever incorporated into middle eastern pop music? An Egyptian version of Boogie Shoes, originally by the Bee Gees for example? It wasn't a phenomenon restricted to the US and UK.
    Boogie Shoes was KC and the Sunshine Band, not BeeGees.

Disco was certainly popular on the European continent in the 1970's. The aesthetic they went for wasn't BeeGees and KC & the Sunshine Band, though. Their tastes ran more similar to Donna Summer. I have fond memories of boogying down to European artists Boney M and Baccara.

I have a nice recording of the Arabic-language song "Ana Ayza Ayesh", which is an Arabic-language version of "I Will Survive". You should have seen my students' faces when I slipped that into my classroom drills!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess I established my lack of disco expertise with that instance of mistaken identity. I confess I have never even heard of KC and the Sunshine Band, though my dance teacher used Boogie Shoes for a jazz routine when I was in graduate school. I will now slip slowly away and listen to some old Jean Redpath albums...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Oh I know the non-original disco one and you guys have now dragged it out of the (distressingly large and unerasable) section of my brain devoted to crap 70's songs, and it's going round and round... aaargh. Not the Animals version, oh no, has to be that cheesy 70's riff...

Sharing time!

Sorry Eshta, we have gone completely off topic.
    Well I've been educated as I only knew the Nina Simone version (which I think I prefer if that's allowed )

Btw, the dancers in the background, what kind of bellydance style was that?? They had bellies showing, and there was definitely hip movement, so I simply won't accept that is wasn't BD Obviously the one with the flower in her hair was doing a fine flamenco, but the others... It must be BD!

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet
    I have a nice recording of the Arabic-language song "Ana Ayza Ayesh", which is an Arabic-language version of "I Will Survive". You should have seen my students' faces when I slipped that into my classroom drills!
    I so want to hear that!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    Btw, the dancers in the background, what kind of bellydance style was that?? They had bellies showing, and there was definitely hip movement, so I simply won't accept that is wasn't BD Obviously the one with the flower in her hair was doing a fine flamenco, but the others... It must be BD!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Off Topic...

Here's some "disco arab" and a Bellydance(?) version of "I will survive"
    Wish there were more..
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Disco Arab - what on earth....? Sounds like 100% sub-Boney M eurodisco to me.

The Arabic'ed up I Will Survive, on the other hand - You could have great fun emoting to that... I want it!!!!

O-M-G it's goes into Boney M's Rasputin.... I am in disco cheesy retro belly dance fusion heaven here, that's made my day PLEEEESE anyone know what this track is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    O-M-G it's goes into Boney M's Rasputin.... I am in disco cheesy retro belly dance fusion heaven here, that's made my day PLEEEESE anyone know what this track is?
    I don't know what track it is, but now I have going through my brain:

Rah rah Rasputin, lover of the Russian queen!
    He was a cat that really was gone!
    Rah rah Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine!
    It was a shame how he carried on!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion of classroom music...

Post Thanks / Like

from the youtube blurb

Improvising to a song I like that is an arabic adaptation of "I will Survive". The album is by Jihad Abdel, I don't know the real name of the song.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently, I was working with my Level 2 students on stage presence skills. I had 5 songs in a row on my iPod that were all Arabic pop music, and all centered around the theme of "Get out of my life, you worthless man!" These included Sobry Alil by Sherine, Boussi Ba'a by Sherin, Harramt Ahebbak by Warda, Ah wa Noss by Nancy Ajram, and Ana Ayza Ayesh (I Will Survive).

Our class proceeded along fine, with the students getting what I wanted them to do, until we got to Ana Ayza Ayesh. They completely lost the mood, and complained to me that even though it was in Arabic, they just couldn't get motivated to belly dance to it!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Whaa???

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Well, I guess I established my lack of disco expertise with that instance of mistaken identity. I confess I have never even heard of KC and the Sunshine Band, though my dance teacher used Boogie Shoes for a jazz routine when I was in graduate school. I will now slip slowly away and listen to some old Jean Redpath albums...
    oO;; Never heard of KC and the Sunshine Band??? You don't remember the hit songs, "That's the Way (I Like It)," and "Shake Your Booty"?

Oo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast