Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65
  1. #51
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Seriously, was disco ever incorporated into middle eastern pop music? An Egyptian version of Boogie Shoes, originally by the Bee Gees for example? It wasn't a phenomenon restricted to the US and UK.
    Boogie Shoes was KC and the Sunshine Band, not BeeGees.

    Disco was certainly popular on the European continent in the 1970's. The aesthetic they went for wasn't BeeGees and KC & the Sunshine Band, though. Their tastes ran more similar to Donna Summer. I have fond memories of boogying down to European artists Boney M and Baccara.

    I have a nice recording of the Arabic-language song "Ana Ayza Ayesh", which is an Arabic-language version of "I Will Survive". You should have seen my students' faces when I slipped that into my classroom drills!

  2. #52
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I guess I established my lack of disco expertise with that instance of mistaken identity. I confess I have never even heard of KC and the Sunshine Band, though my dance teacher used Boogie Shoes for a jazz routine when I was in graduate school. I will now slip slowly away and listen to some old Jean Redpath albums...

  3. #53
    V.I.P. karena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The North, UK
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Oh I know the non-original disco one and you guys have now dragged it out of the (distressingly large and unerasable) section of my brain devoted to crap 70's songs, and it's going round and round... aaargh. Not the Animals version, oh no, has to be that cheesy 70's riff...

    Sharing time!



    Sorry Eshta, we have gone completely off topic.
    Well I've been educated as I only knew the Nina Simone version (which I think I prefer if that's allowed )

    Btw, the dancers in the background, what kind of bellydance style was that?? They had bellies showing, and there was definitely hip movement, so I simply won't accept that is wasn't BD Obviously the one with the flower in her hair was doing a fine flamenco, but the others... It must be BD!

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet
    I have a nice recording of the Arabic-language song "Ana Ayza Ayesh", which is an Arabic-language version of "I Will Survive". You should have seen my students' faces when I slipped that into my classroom drills!
    I so want to hear that!!

  4. #54
    Premium Member Aniseteph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    4,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    Btw, the dancers in the background, what kind of bellydance style was that?? They had bellies showing, and there was definitely hip movement, so I simply won't accept that is wasn't BD Obviously the one with the flower in her hair was doing a fine flamenco, but the others... It must be BD!

  5. #55
    Super Moderator gisela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Still Off Topic...





    Here's some "disco arab" and a Bellydance(?) version of "I will survive"
    Wish there were more..
    immer glimmer

  6. #56
    Premium Member Aniseteph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    4,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Disco Arab - what on earth....? Sounds like 100% sub-Boney M eurodisco to me.

    The Arabic'ed up I Will Survive, on the other hand - You could have great fun emoting to that... I want it!!!!

    O-M-G it's goes into Boney M's Rasputin.... I am in disco cheesy retro belly dance fusion heaven here, that's made my day PLEEEESE anyone know what this track is?

  7. #57
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    O-M-G it's goes into Boney M's Rasputin.... I am in disco cheesy retro belly dance fusion heaven here, that's made my day PLEEEESE anyone know what this track is?
    I don't know what track it is, but now I have going through my brain:

    Rah rah Rasputin, lover of the Russian queen!
    He was a cat that really was gone!
    Rah rah Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine!
    It was a shame how he carried on!

    We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion of classroom music...

  8. #58
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    from the youtube blurb

    Improvising to a song I like that is an arabic adaptation of "I will Survive". The album is by Jihad Abdel, I don't know the real name of the song.

  9. #59
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Recently, I was working with my Level 2 students on stage presence skills. I had 5 songs in a row on my iPod that were all Arabic pop music, and all centered around the theme of "Get out of my life, you worthless man!" These included Sobry Alil by Sherine, Boussi Ba'a by Sherin, Harramt Ahebbak by Warda, Ah wa Noss by Nancy Ajram, and Ana Ayza Ayesh (I Will Survive).

    Our class proceeded along fine, with the students getting what I wanted them to do, until we got to Ana Ayza Ayesh. They completely lost the mood, and complained to me that even though it was in Arabic, they just couldn't get motivated to belly dance to it!

  10. #60
    Moderator Farasha Hanem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the heartland of the USA
    Posts
    4,805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Whaa???

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Well, I guess I established my lack of disco expertise with that instance of mistaken identity. I confess I have never even heard of KC and the Sunshine Band, though my dance teacher used Boogie Shoes for a jazz routine when I was in graduate school. I will now slip slowly away and listen to some old Jean Redpath albums...
    oO;; Never heard of KC and the Sunshine Band??? You don't remember the hit songs, "That's the Way (I Like It)," and "Shake Your Booty"?

    Oo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •