Teaching Egyptian through non-Egyptian methods...!

Shanazel

That's right, blame it on the Americans and Saturday Night Fever. :rolleyes: I'll have you know that I still possess a bumper sticker that says, "Disco is to music as Etch-A-Sketch is to Art." I am clean, I tell you, clean!

How about Morris Dancing? You could be to Morris dancing what Tarik is to bellydance, hmm?

jenc

No, that would be worse, trust me. (anyway I always think of your classic 1970's disco as American ;))

Oh no I was there in the Uk doing the real thing from 1967 onwards. I always got admiring comments - more recently from women half my age 0 unyil more lately it became more look at Granny go.

I was then mortified - but along came BD to save me.

BUT this is why I worry about my improv - what if I'm still doing disco but now ME disco!!!

Aniseteph

That's right, blame it on the Americans and Saturday Night Fever. :rolleyes: I'll have you know that I still possess a bumper sticker that says, "Disco is to music as Etch-A-Sketch is to Art." I am clean, I tell you, clean!

How about Morris Dancing? You could be to Morris dancing what Tarik is to bellydance, hmm?

Oooh, I had an Etch-A-Sketch.

Hmm, Morris dancing... naah, can't drink that much Real Ale. I am not built for all that hopping, and I would not be allowed to move my hips, he he he... ;). Nope, it's too late, I already know way more about belly dance than I ever want to know about Morris, you are stuck with me! :dance:

Shanazel

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to accept you as you are.:D

You have to drink lots of ale to be a morris dancer? I'm surprised it hasn't caught on in more places.:think:

Shanazel

Aaaaaand we have veered off topic again, ladies and jellyspoons.

Seriously, was disco ever incorporated into middle eastern pop music? An Egyptian version of Boogie Shoes, originally by the Bee Gees for example? I met a man from Norway who thought discos were God's finest gift to society and once overheard a number of girls from Hong Kong talking about disco fever, so I know it wasn't a phenomenon restricted to the US and UK (although I guess strictly speaking, Hong Kong was UK back then).

jenc

I had a ME version of Oh Lord , please don't let me be misunderstood... at least that was what I worked out they were supposed to be singing (in fractured english) I also had another one that seemed to incorporate riffs from Shaft so it's entirely possible

Eshta

I had a ME version of Oh Lord , please don't let me be misunderstood... at least that was what I worked out they were supposed to be singing (in fractured english) I also had another one that seemed to incorporate riffs from Shaft so it's entirely possible

Oh, isn't that by Alabina, the 'please don't let me be misunderstood' song? Ahem, have to confess that I don't know the original...:shok: eek!

Caroline_afifi

Yes, I remember the Shaft version!!

Carmena Burana I tried to get again a few yearsago. It was doing the rounds about 15 years ago when someone brought it back from Cairo where it was a hit. I asked around in Cairo to see if anyone had it but it disapeared years ago it seems.

'Love Story' is the yukiest!!

See, how do you begin to make sense of all this?

I try not to make much sense of pop music, which was the point I was making in the first place. I take it for what it is.

Aniseteph

Oh, isn't that by Alabina, the 'please don't let me be misunderstood' song? Ahem, have to confess that I don't know the original... eek!

Oh I know the non-original disco one and you guys have now dragged it out of the (distressingly large and unerasable) section of my brain devoted to crap 70's songs, and it's going round and round... aaargh. Not the Animals version, oh no, has to be that cheesy 70's riff...

Sharing time!

Sorry Eshta, we have gone completely off topic. :redface:

Last edited:

shiradotnet

Seriously, was disco ever incorporated into middle eastern pop music? An Egyptian version of Boogie Shoes, originally by the Bee Gees for example? It wasn't a phenomenon restricted to the US and UK.

Boogie Shoes was KC and the Sunshine Band, not BeeGees.

Disco was certainly popular on the European continent in the 1970's. The aesthetic they went for wasn't BeeGees and KC & the Sunshine Band, though. Their tastes ran more similar to Donna Summer. I have fond memories of boogying down to European artists Boney M and Baccara.

I have a nice recording of the Arabic-language song "Ana Ayza Ayesh", which is an Arabic-language version of "I Will Survive". You should have seen my students' faces when I slipped that into my classroom drills!

Shanazel

:lol: Well, I guess I established my lack of disco expertise with that instance of mistaken identity. I confess I have never even heard of KC and the Sunshine Band, though my dance teacher used Boogie Shoes for a jazz routine when I was in graduate school. I will now slip slowly away and listen to some old Jean Redpath albums...

karena

Oh I know the non-original disco one and you guys have now dragged it out of the (distressingly large and unerasable) section of my brain devoted to crap 70's songs, and it's going round and round... aaargh. Not the Animals version, oh no, has to be that cheesy 70's riff...

Sharing time!

Sorry Eshta, we have gone completely off topic. :redface:

Well I've been educated as I only knew the Nina Simone version (which I think I prefer if that's allowed ;))

Btw, the dancers in the background, what kind of bellydance style was that?? They had bellies showing, and there was definitely hip movement, so I simply won't accept that is wasn't BD ;) Obviously the one with the flower in her hair was doing a fine flamenco, but the others... It must be BD!

shiradotnet said:
I have a nice recording of the Arabic-language song "Ana Ayza Ayesh", which is an Arabic-language version of "I Will Survive". You should have seen my students' faces when I slipped that into my classroom drills!

I so want to hear that!!

Aniseteph

Btw, the dancers in the background, what kind of bellydance style was that?? They had bellies showing, and there was definitely hip movement, so I simply won't accept that is wasn't BD ;) Obviously the one with the flower in her hair was doing a fine flamenco, but the others... It must be BD!

:lol:

gisela

Super Moderator
Still Off Topic...

Here's some "disco arab" and a Bellydance(?) version of "I will survive"
Wish there were more..

Aniseteph

Disco Arab - what on earth....? Sounds like 100% sub-Boney M eurodisco to me.

The Arabic'ed up I Will Survive, on the other hand - :lol: :cool: :dance: You could have great fun emoting to that... I want it!!!!

O-M-G it's goes into Boney M's Rasputin.... I am in disco cheesy retro belly dance fusion heaven here, that's made my day PLEEEESE anyone know what this track is?

shiradotnet

O-M-G it's goes into Boney M's Rasputin.... I am in disco cheesy retro belly dance fusion heaven here, that's made my day PLEEEESE anyone know what this track is?

I don't know what track it is, but now I have going through my brain:

Rah rah Rasputin, lover of the Russian queen!
He was a cat that really was gone!
Rah rah Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine!
It was a shame how he carried on!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion of classroom music... :lol:

jenc

from the youtube blurb

Improvising to a song I like that is an arabic adaptation of "I will Survive". The album is by Jihad Abdel, I don't know the real name of the song.

shiradotnet

Recently, I was working with my Level 2 students on stage presence skills. I had 5 songs in a row on my iPod that were all Arabic pop music, and all centered around the theme of "Get out of my life, you worthless man!" These included Sobry Alil by Sherine, Boussi Ba'a by Sherin, Harramt Ahebbak by Warda, Ah wa Noss by Nancy Ajram, and Ana Ayza Ayesh (I Will Survive).

Our class proceeded along fine, with the students getting what I wanted them to do, until we got to Ana Ayza Ayesh. They completely lost the mood, and complained to me that even though it was in Arabic, they just couldn't get motivated to belly dance to it!

Farasha Hanem

Whaa???

:lol: Well, I guess I established my lack of disco expertise with that instance of mistaken identity. I confess I have never even heard of KC and the Sunshine Band, though my dance teacher used Boogie Shoes for a jazz routine when I was in graduate school. I will now slip slowly away and listen to some old Jean Redpath albums...

oO;; Never heard of KC and the Sunshine Band??? :shok: You don't remember the hit songs, "That's the Way (I Like It)," and "Shake Your Booty"? :shok:

Oo