Thanks for the clarification, Marya. One of the many things I love about bellydance is the ability to find a way of originating a movement that works for our individual bodies and preference! There’s never really one “correct” way to approach an isolation

I tend to prefer a more core-oriented approach for all those great reasons that Shira mentioned. I’ve noticed that when I use my core, I enjoy the possibilities and ease of foot patterns/travelling. I’m also a big proponent of using the learning tool of association. I use the basic foundation isolation of an Up Hip on a Flat/Ball foot stance to introduce lifts, drops, and timing variations of each. One of my favorite preparatory exercises to graduate into a Flat/Ball foot stance is to have students keep steady alternating Up Hips while shifting weight to the R, staying on the R, then shifting to L, then staying on the L and repeating for a few cycles. One of my students fondly called this the “Peg-Leg Drill” and the name stuck! Once students have a good handle on the one-legged version, we take it to one side and increase the range to give the movement a more asymmetrical feel.

For core originated movements, I feel as if I’m putting less force on my joints if I can use the contraction of my muscles to stop the range of motion instead of tossing my hip to the side and allowing how far my tendons/muscles can stretch before they stop the movement from going any farther, then my body feels much better the next day. I also feel that the more developed and strong my core muscles are, the better postural support I’ll have as well as a more efficient use of my muscle energy.

Keep us posted on the progress of your students! Take care, ~Zanbaka