Belly dance songs??!!?

Aisha Azar

Ahab, etc.

Dear Jane,
There is one really glaring cultural thing wrong with that video. Most of the Arabs I know would not be caught dead drinking Coke. They drink Bebsi!!
Regards,
A'isha

shiradotnet

Dear Jenc,
And who can forget the Pelvis singing that song from Harem Scarum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my favorite contribution to the thread!
Regards,
A'isha

Actually, that Elvis rendition of "Little Egypt" isn't in Harum Scarum. It's in Roustabout.

I think I'm sorry that a piece of my brain is occupied with that knowledge!

Aisha Azar

Correction

Actually, that Elvis rendition of "Little Egypt" isn't in Harum Scarum. It's in Roustabout.

I think I'm sorry that a piece of my brain is occupied with that knowledge!

Dear Shira,
Thanks for the correction. It has been years since I have actually seen any of the old Elvis movies. They were a great way to wile away a rainy afternoon while beading a costume in the late 1970s/early 80s. Most of them took no brains at all to follow even when you were only looking at the tv screen once every 20 minutes or so.
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

Addictive, by Truth Hurts. It actually has samples of a hindi song called Kaaliyon Ka Chaman, but when it came out everybody just *had* to start "bellydancing" to it....

And ofcourse even the kiss kiss version by Holly Valance. Nooooo:shok:

shiradotnet

So many comedy belly dance numbers to do, decisions decisions....

Every now and then I just can't resist pulling out the shamrocks and performing to "The Irish Belly Dancer."

Now I've got it running through my head:

"That lovely Nellie Kelly, how she shakes her belly, the queen of belly dance from Ireland..."

Caroline_afifi

Dear Jenc,
And who can forget the Pelvis singing that song from Harem Scarum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is my favorite contribution to the thread!
Regards,
A'isha

:lol: I actually used the 'Coasters' version of this song in a theatre production I did 10 years back called 'Forbidden Fruit' it was about how the West drew on Oriental themes.

I actually prefer Elvis version.

Marya

what an idle youth you lot must have had. While I was memorizing the periodic chart of the elements you were listening to the radio. I don't know any of these songs.

Marya

shiradotnet

There is a rap song called "Belly Dancin' Dina." (Man, you shoulda seen her!) The musicians are the Jungle Brothers. The lyrics are NOT for the faint of heart: "I got hard, hard, harder by the yard..."

I bought it on CD on Amazon several years ago. I think the CD is out of print now, but I've heard that one of the online music-selling sites has it, if anyone feels an uncontrollable urge to add it to their collection...

Shanazel

what an idle youth you lot must have had. While I was memorizing the periodic chart of the elements you were listening to the radio. I don't know any of these songs.

Marya

How could you memorize the periodic table without the accompaniment of bad music? :think: I required multiple infusions of John Denver songs to get me through inorganic chemistry. For organic, I required the hard stuff: White Rabbit by the Jefferson Airplane seemed appropriate. ;)

Marya

How could you memorize the periodic table without the accompaniment of bad music? :think: I required multiple infusions of John Denver songs to get me through inorganic chemistry. For organic, I required the hard stuff: White Rabbit by the Jefferson Airplane seemed appropriate. ;)

I am one of those people who requires isolation and quiet to study. How did I end up a belly dancer:think:

Marya

Marya

This is how you can memorize the periodic table (but, to quote the great Eric Morecambe, "not necessarily in the right order")
YouTube - Tom Lehrer CHEMISTRY element song

(I know a distressing amount of this song. :redface:)

:lol: But the song doesn't have them in the same order as the chart! Of course the chart I memorized was much smaller that today's. I managed to avoid chemistry in college so I am talking about high school chemistry here. catchy tune.

Marya

Aniseteph

Me, too. And now it is going around in my head just as I was going to go to bed- thanks tons. :(

Eeek, sorry! (I'm trying to remember if I owed you from the thread that went disco, but I don't think I did. Deep shame. If it's any consolation my penance is that the first lines of that German one Shira posted have lodged in my brain. :wall:).

Shanazel

I never understood why some teachers demanded that students memorize the periodic table- it's not like copies of it aren't easily available for reference.

I forgive you, Aniseteph.