"Happy Birthday" in Arabic!

shiradotnet

So, I know that people often sing "Sana Helwah Ya Gameel" to the tune of the happy birthday song at birthday parties.

I heard this sung at a birthday party in Egypt for a 16-year-old girl. How widespread is the use of this song in Egypt? Is it limited to families of a certain social class, or is it pretty widespread across all social classes? Is it sung for both adults and children, or just children?

Are the songs "Inzal Ya Gameel" by Walid Toufic or "Koulli Sana Wi-Inta Tayyeb Ya Habibi" by Gawaher ever used as birthday songs in Egypt?

Does anyone know where I could get a recording of "Sana Helwah Ya Gameel" or "Yala Halan Balan"? Was either ever recorded by a famous singer?

Aisha Azar

Happy Birthday in Arabic

So, I know that people often sing "Sana Helwah Ya Gameel" to the tune of the happy birthday song at birthday parties.

I heard this sung at a birthday party in Egypt for a 16-year-old girl. How widespread is the use of this song in Egypt? Is it limited to families of a certain social class, or is it pretty widespread across all social classes? Is it sung for both adults and children, or just children?

Are the songs "Inzal Ya Gameel" by Walid Toufic or "Koulli Sana Wi-Inta Tayyeb Ya Habibi" by Gawaher ever used as birthday songs in Egypt?

Does anyone know where I could get a recording of "Sana Helwah Ya Gameel" or "Yala Halan Balan"? Was either ever recorded by a famous singer?

Dear Shira,
Although I have a version of Sena Helwa ya Gameel, I do not know who the singer is because there is nothing on it that gives me a clue. The tape was in a bag of tapes given to me by someone who was going home. It is a late 80s version. You might try the people at Rashid Sales Co. They seem to know their music pretty well and are very friendly.
PS: When I have been to Egyptian birthday parties, Arabic is usually sung and it is Sena Helwa ya Gameel. It seems to me that while I was in Egypt, I witnessed people singing it to someone, too, but I can not recall the exact circumstances since I did not attend a birthday party while I was there. In any case, it seems like only recently have people been doing the birthday thing in the Middle East. Most of the older Saudis I have known do not know when their birthday is. One of my first dance teachers was from Jordan and did not know when she was born, but she decided her birthday was in July, so we honored that. I knew a guy from Qatar who refused to give anyone birthday presents because he did not know when his own birthday was and could not get any presents himself.
Regards,
A'isha

shiradotnet

"Birthday Parties are Un-Islamic," says Saudi Cleric

See this link for the news story: Daily News Egypt - Full Article

Here's an interesting quote from one of the clerics:

"It's not permissible to take part in them," he said. "Birthday parties are an innovation ... and people are in no need of innovations."

And here's a quote I found highly enteratining from a woman:

"I don't like it when someone tells me happy birthday. It's like a reminder that I'm getting closer to death."

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Birthdays, etc.

See this link for the news story: Daily News Egypt - Full Article

Here's an interesting quote from one of the clerics:

"It's not permissible to take part in them," he said. "Birthday parties are an innovation ... and people are in no need of innovations."

And here's a quote I found highly enteratining from a woman:

"I don't like it when someone tells me happy birthday. It's like a reminder that I'm getting closer to death."

Dear Shira,
Very interesting and not surprising considering that it is a western innovation.
Regards,
A'isha

karena

I was once at a party with Arabic-speaking people and English-speaking people. It was someone's (English-speaking) birthday and the Arabic happy birthday was playing for them. Then the Arabic-speaking people started singing it in English. It was such a lovely cross-cultural moment. Made me all warm and fuzzy :D