competition

alosha

i'm going to be doing a solo in a bd competition in a few months :dance:, but am not sure what i should put in my routine.

i'd planned on using a few moves that i love, (mayas, snake arms, shimmy)but i'm not sure what the judges look for in the novice category. is it more about stage presence than prowess?

any tips would be greatly appreciated

da Sage

i'm going to be doing a solo in a bd competition in a few months :dance:, but am not sure what i should put in my routine.

i'd planned on using a few moves that i love, (mayas, snake arms, shimmy)but i'm not sure what the judges look for in the novice category. is it more about stage presence than prowess?

I have yet to enter a competition, but I'd say just create the best dance that you can. Be sure you can do every move flawlessly in rehearsal.

Stage presence is key in any performance, but I think judges may focus more on stage presence than complexity in the novice category.

Phoebedances

Not speaking as a judge, but more as someone who loves to watch good dancing. :)

1) I think it is a balance between charisma and technique that creates a good dance. So, do plan what you are going to do, but try to have fun and smile when you are practicing it and it will be easier when you do it for others.

2) You probably do have favorite moves in your dance vocabulary and that is great, but let the music dictate your combinations and where you put those moves and don't force a move that doesn't go with the music.

Good Luck!

Amri_

I agree with Phoebe. U should do what U feel like. The dance should come from your soul. this is the main thing you should payatention to. I've seen some dance contests where it was seen that the dancer was concentrated either on being classy or vise verse- on trying to impress the judges with smn unique. And it was seen because the dancer didn't feel much what she was doing. That's why the only thing I advice is to be yourself:) The most impressive thing definately;)

Vivi_Mahaila

Hi Alosha!
When I had my only and first competition, I was here too! =)

I did learn one thing with the competition:
-You don't have to dance using the hard movements...I try this and it didn't work! I was very, very nervous to make my hard dance. The girl who wins chose a veeery easy music! And she danced with only simple movements (and her dance was beautiful)! Sincerely, I saw many dancers in this same competition who could make much more...but the simple but "perfectly" executed won the hearts of the judges that day.
I went mad, but the winner was smarter!

And I agree with the girls, you should use the movements and the music you love...because it will make you become more confident and relaxed, things you will need a lot!

If you want to see the dance of the winner of the competition I went, here you go: YouTube - Isadora Gonçalves no Terceiro Festival Ventremania de Dança

Byee and good luck!

alosha

thank you so much! i am quite excited. i have a wonderful teacher helping with the choreography!