Aziza

Sara

You know that song Aziza? Whats it about?

It's driving me crazy, lol. One of the first dancers I saw danced to this and I love it, but no idea what it means.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks
Sara

Demelza

hello all !!
thought I'd better make an apperance up here. Seem to be spending alot of my time in that 'off topic' thread for some reason !! (does that make me sad?)....any way, just wanted to say that i have seen this clip on another thread on this forum and i saved it because I like it so much. I love the bit when that guy looks at his mate and raises one eyebrow !! (is it that one?)....oopps better watch the whole thing through again. anyway I love it. thanks Kiadorinxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maria_Aya

If I'm wrong, or dont remember something, plssss Aisha correct me.
Azziza was composed from Farid el Atrash for Samia Gamal (Samia is the one that dance in the video clip) (an oud musician told me so).
Farid el Atrash the famous Drouz composer that worked in Egypt, created master pieces. He appear in many films with Samia Gamal (it was common secrete that they were together for more than 20 years).
They didnt married because Farid el Atrash was a prince of Drouz and he had to marry drouz woman only.
The part of the relationship is double checked, the part of the Azziza is not, so keep it in mind.

Maria Aya

Michelle

since we are on this topic, I myself have heard quite a few versions of this song by different artists..... do any of you have a favorite (other than the original)?

Kiraze

Thanks for the correction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew I had that not double checked
Thanks thanks thanks
:)
That history between Farid and Samya is interesting though... and kinda sad.

Anyway I was wondering whether the lyrics in Arabic and Turkish are similar... this song has been so popular in Turkey for so long time that the origin has been forgotten and many versions have got interesting Turkish spices (and Turkish lyrics). One quite recent version that is dear to me because of associating this song with wonderful summer on Aegean coast is by singer Atilla Tas and also Oojami´s techno-version is fun.

Maria_Aya

I got it in 3 different instrumental versions, the one seems quite old, the other something like 20 years ago, and the third have a "turkish essence".
Love them all, but never have heard the lyrics.

Maria Aya:)

elle21

since we are on this topic, I myself have heard quite a few versions of this song by different artists..... do any of you have a favorite (other than the original)?

I don't know if it's a favourite, but the definitive version of it, in my head, is Hossam Ramzy's. It was one of the first songs we used in my first class and probably the one I've heard most frequently, and forms a 'benchmark' against which I always compare other versions!

Loved the clip though, fascinating to see the original!