Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "It's like stripping, right?"

How many times have you heard that or something similar to that when talking about belly dance to other people? I actually wrote a paper for my Comp 1 class about belly dance.

Personally, I've heard too many times and I actually get tired from educating people all the time, and yet if I don't...well, we all know what happens.

I'm just curious to know how often other dancers hear that phrase or get people making assumptions like that of belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't hear it as often as I used to, but I do still hear it now and then, and I'm tired of it. I'm glad the public is better educated than they used to be, but we still have a long road ahead of us.

It doesn't help matters when certain belly dancers think it would be appropriate to include burlesque workshops as part of belly dance festivals, or to do fusions of belly dance and burlesque in their performances, or to feature burlesque performances in what are otherwise entirely belly dance shows.

(I don't have a problem with belly dance and burlesque being on the same stage when that stage features a diverse collection of acts such as fire-eating, comedy skits, clowns, etc. I'm not hating on burlesque, just want people to treat it as being separate from belly dance in the same way you would treat the polka as separate from belly dance.)

Post Thanks / Like

or how about when strippers dress in coins and a scarf and "belly dance" for their male spectators?

i just hope that when we take the time to explain to the misinformed that the next time they hear a poor assumption made on belly dance that they will pass on the knowledge we instilled on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stripping

Quote Originally Posted by eden eyes View Post
    How many times have you heard that or something similar to that when talking about belly dance to other people? I actually wrote a paper for my Comp 1 class about belly dance.

Personally, I've heard too many times and I actually get tired from educating people all the time, and yet if I don't...well, we all know what happens.

I'm just curious to know how often other dancers hear that phrase or get people making assumptions like that of belly dance.

Dear Eden,
    I have heard it once from an American. I have been approached many times when I worked in clubs, by Arab guys who think that belly dancer and prostitute are synonyms for each other. This is a prevalent attitude within the culture, in my own experience, more than in the West.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eden eyes View Post

I've never had the dance connected with 'stripping' when talking to other people. The most I've encountered is 'oriental sterotypes'.. harem women dancing it for the Sultans attention etc. The biggest issue is that people don't view it as a 'repectable/ proper' dance in the same way as they do ballet, Irish dancing, Kathak, Flamenco etc. It definitly has a lower status to those art forms and people do assosiate it with something daring or slightly erotic. I've had the odd comment like: 'ohh.. you dark hourse..' from people which is just stupid.
    Sita

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I don't hear it as often as I used to, but I do still hear it now and then, and I'm tired of it. I'm glad the public is better educated than they used to be, but we still have a long road ahead of us.

It doesn't help matters when certain belly dancers think it would be appropriate to include burlesque workshops as part of belly dance festivals, or to do fusions of belly dance and burlesque in their performances, or to feature burlesque performances in what are otherwise entirely belly dance shows.

(I don't have a problem with belly dance and burlesque being on the same stage when that stage features a diverse collection of acts such as fire-eating, comedy skits, clowns, etc. I'm not hating on burlesque, just want people to treat it as being separate from belly dance in the same way you would treat the polka as separate from belly dance.)

I agree I personally like Burlesque but I have the same issue when mixing it with belly dance.
    Sita

Post Thanks / Like

i get tired of the 'i bet your husband really likes that you bellydance *wink *wink'

i just wanna say well, actually, he's quite sick of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    i get tired of the 'i bet your husband really likes that you bellydance *wink *wink'

i just wanna say well, actually, he's quite sick of it.
    LMAO! I will treasure that one...

Maybe they should have a support group for belly dance widowers, a sadly misunderstood group...

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a VERY small handful of overt inferences from various sorts that Oriental dance is smutty and low class. It’s been years though. Oriental dance has been happening in the Willamette Valley for a long time - from Portland to Ashland - the public has seen plenty of dancing so it isn‘t an unknown so much with the imagination taking over.

Post Thanks / Like

From time to time, various people try to make silly jokes and say:
    Bellydance is just before stripping.
    And I reply very serious:
    No, its just before jogging !! :P

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast