Thread: Teaching? Me?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching? Me?

Hi Ladies!

I have been dancing for almost 2 years now, and am just 17 years old.
    I have a friend in Australia (I am from South Africa) who did a dance and posted it on YouTube, with her permission, I copied the dance, used her music but added my own style to it.
    Our studio is changing, and this year, those who do solo dances are invited to teach them at their own little "workshop" in the holidays.

I was just hoping those of you who are instructors can give me tips on teaching? I will be teaching a group of my fellow students.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Hi Ladies!

I have been dancing for almost 2 years now, and am just 17 years old.
    I have a friend in Australia (I am from South Africa) who did a dance and posted it on YouTube, with her permission, I copied the dance, used her music but added my own style to it.
    Our studio is changing, and this year, those who do solo dances are invited to teach them at their own little "workshop" in the holidays.

I was just hoping those of you who are instructors can give me tips on teaching? I will be teaching a group of my fellow students.

Dear Azrael,
    I do a seminar on teaching people to teach, so you will know that this is part of what I do. My main thought would be that you should remember that, though it is your routine, when you are teaching it, it is all about the students. On my website I have an article called, "The Student/ Instructor Relationship in Middle Eastern Dance". It is in the library. You might find it helpful. Though it does not teach you how to break down movement, it does discuss the importance of Student Awareness. It stresses awareness of every person in the class as an individual. There is another article in there called, "Multiple Intelligences", about different learning styles. (Raqs Azar)
    Best wishes and I hope it turns out to be a great experience for you. You may be a budding Future Fabulous Instructor!!
    Regards,
    A'isha