Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: dance for free?

Post Thanks / Like

Default dance for free?

so a couple girls in the troupe want to be paid to do performances. which i think would be really cool. but no one in town really knows us, we can't afford to advertise. personally, i would like to perform whether i get paid well or not. we need to get our name out there before we start charging what we deserve, right?

so my question is: can we 'donate' performances for a while, then start charging? with no other troupes around, we have no cost-comparison. what do we charge?

personally, i like performing and want others to learn this art and see it as much as possible, and would do it for gas money and some food. so do we do community gigs for free, then charge for private events?

Post Thanks / Like

If you charge for your performances, you need to be ready. one or 2 years sn't enough

Post Thanks / Like

that's what i was thinking. i don't want to represent us in a bad way. i want to be fantastic when i start getting paid. otherwise people won't want to pay us again...

like i said, i'd dance for free forever....i just want the opportunity to dance

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Alosha,

There are venues where it's set up to dance for the experience of performing and not for money. That's a really important intermediary period. You get to develop in so many ways, in a supportive environment. If someone pays for a service they don't, usually, expect that you are still cutting your teeth.

Here in Corvallis, there is a guild, who set up a once weekly performance for guild members at a popular deli. There's actually a small stage, lighting and a sound guy and MC. This has been going close to twenty years now I think. Students and hobbyists perform and the occasional professional dancer and it's well attended by the community. Is there something like that in the Dalles? Also, retirement homes can be a good outlet. Charity events? There is an article about creating these kinds of venues here Hobbyist Circuit

Post Thanks / Like

thanks! i guess if i search, the others will follow? there's a tribal group in hood river that do a bunch of free events, so i'm sure i can find the same thing here. just not sure if i'll be stuck dancing alone...

we walk in the parade, and do a performance for relay for life, and for a street-fest here, i'll look into getting something else started.

wasn't sure if it was bad to dance for free...

Post Thanks / Like

It is always bad to dance for pay and deliver something not ready.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone. this will make it easier for me to argue my case to the troupe

Post Thanks / Like

I think when you dance for free because you aren't good enough to charge, you should clearly state that you are a student troupe or amateur groupe. Unless it's at that kind of venue Salome is talking about.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

what about dancing for free because you live in a culturally devoid town and its the only way you CAN dance in public...

but i am now working to get some sort of a performance or culture night or something going on here.

guess we could always do a dance recital! doesn't that bring back memories of childhood!

Post Thanks / Like

Well yeah if you are good enough to call yourself professional troupe then you should of course do that, but it sounded kinda like you thought you weren't good enough to charge money. In that case I think it would be bad for all parts not to announce yourselves as a an amateur/intermediate-whatever troupe.
    Hmm just went back and read again. Maybe I misunderstood or read something into it that wasn't there, sorry about that.
    Maybe there are some culture-days or some event or activity night at the library or arts center where you could donate some performances to get your name out and practice performing together? Apart from the hafla stuff etc (in case there are such things where you live). Be sure to have flyers or business cards to hand out. Doesn't have to be so expensive if you print them yourselves.
    immer glimmer

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast