Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: dance for free?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alosha,see the videoclip was helping a bit!...what i think is that for sure you are not ready to perform,paid or not.....
    If you would be my student i wil for sure talk you out of it....
    I think its best for you to keep on learning for some time to come even if you have to travel far,its ok you have to do that if you are realy serieus about dancing
    You have a lot of work to do before you can go and perform if you want people to take your dancing serieus
    even if you would go for free people will remember your name and face so if they would look again for a dancer after 1 or 2 years they will say ,,no, i know that dancer i have seen her before,, and you will not be in a position to explain that in the mean time you have been taking classes and are now better...Please be patient for your own good practise as much you can find a teacher that is good and helpfull,till you learn at least 1 good routine from 20 minutes so you could start with that while you are still practising,i mean a real good proffesional routine,not a wishy washy one....it seems you are realy serieus about the whole thing so you have to show people that you are serieus about it otherwise people will not take you serieus....please dont go and perform yet, go and spend time training ,performing now it wil be a waste of time ,training will be not a waste of time...and i am telling you as a friend....goodluck dear

Post Thanks / Like

as far as not performing for two years, how am i supposed to get the stage presence i need, as well as feedback?
    By studying with a teacher and performing in student recitals under the direction of a teacher. By practicing for yourself, and occasionally for your friends/family. Then later, by performing in more public places under the direct tutelage of a teacher. A teacher, or peers when you get to a more advanced level, are really the only sources of meaningful feedback. Performing in public is not going to get you any feedback. Your mother, your boyfriend, and endless guys/restaurant owners/whoever that want to get in your pants will likely always tell you that you are great. This is not feedback.

as long as i don't promote myself as being a pro and say that i am a student, why cant i perform?
    Because a performer with inadequate skill lowers the public's opinion of belly dance. It leaves people thinking that belly dance is no big deal, anyone can do it, it is boring, nothing special, offensive, embarrassing, etc. and those people will not go out of their way to attend another event with belly dancing in the future. They may even avoid such events. Thus amateur performances for the general public erode any kind of value that professional dancers could try to build in your community in the future (including YOU if/when you get there -- you could be slitting your own throat).

I also drove 4 hr round trips at times to get access to teachers. Study more and enjoy growing as a dancer.

Post Thanks / Like

what about beginner level competitions? i'm getting so much useful information from this thread! it really sucks not having a teacher, someone who should have taught me all of this....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    what about beginner level competitions? i'm getting so much useful information from this thread! it really sucks not having a teacher, someone who should have taught me all of this....
    I have to say, I am curious about beginner level competitions too. I worry that maybe I have studied too long to compete as a beginner, but I'm definitely not professional level. Does anyone have any advice on this?

And what about students who have had a break in their studies....I would want to bill myself as having studied for the shorter time, not the longer one.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm using the time i've actually been dancing..which is 10 months. there's a competition in july, bellydancer USA, and there's a up to 2years beginner category. i am planning on doing a solo there for feedback from the judges. also the troupe will be competing as well. to me it seems like a good opportunity to learn...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    i'm using the time i've actually been dancing..which is 10 months. there's a competition in july, bellydancer USA, and there's a up to 2years beginner category. i am planning on doing a solo there for feedback from the judges. also the troupe will be competing as well. to me it seems like a good opportunity to learn...
    Hmm...I would assume that in a beginner level competition, you'd be up against dancers who are being carefully groomed, coached, and polished by a teacher.

I have no first hand experience with competitions; however, from what I understand they usually cost money to enter in addition to the travel costs involved. You could use that entrance fee and travel money for some private lessons, which would be a much better opportunity to learn.

Also there are quite a few weeklong intensives/camps that would be good too. Oasis dance camp, Mendocino dance camp, Shareen el Safy's weeklong, Morocco's weeklong, Yousri Sharif's weeklong just to name some off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like

good point, it's $35 to enter...

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford both then you could have it as a goal for your work. I have seen great improvement in some of my friends who signed up for competitions. Although... as preparation many had a series of private lessons, workshops and choreography- and stage makeup feedback. If you haven't had a teacher in a while I think you could get just as much feedback as in a competition situation or even more just by taking some classes. My friends have sometimes been frustrated with the critique at comps as they maybe don't agree or don't understand and weren't able to discuss at length with the judges. With a private tutor you could really get to the core of the issues.
    Last edited by gisela; 01-27-2009 at 01:37 AM.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

so i think i'll talk to the teacher i'm going to take a lesson from and see what she thinks about competing. my reason for wanting to do it was to give me something to work towards, since i have no student show. and from what i've heard from my friends, the judges are quite helpful in the beginner category - work on arms, isolations, smile, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally relate to that. I'm having the hardest time getting anywhere (with anything) right now because I don't really have a goal at the moment.
    immer glimmer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast