Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: dance for free?

Post Thanks / Like

That is very noble of you - and it will be so good for your dancing. How about picking a song and working with that for several weeks mapping out a choreo (with gaps) Film yourself doing different things to same bits of music, and same thing to different bits of music, then sit down and critique.

IOM you also need to work on having "live" arms. Make sure that your shoulders are down, elbows bent, arms totally relaxed. Avoid having your arms out to the side too much, it is so easy to look like a chicken......... and this is not an egyptian stance.

For travelling steps, I use Jenna Belly dance Basics and Beyond . There are long sections of basic drills and tuition that I still used regurlarly at your stage, then there are 3 mini routines to dance along to, which are not performance pieces, but are for you to practice moves and variations. (I'm Jenpercy). I still used this especially the travelling steps one.

PS gave you rep
    Last edited by jenc; 01-29-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend this link that I got from Bhuz on how to choreo
    Bellydance: How to create a choreography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    we've done a show at a nursing home here. i am looking forward to doing it again.

thank you again to everyone who has been so helpful. i am going to let the more experienced girls do the majority of the performances, and definitely not do more improvisational dancing until i have more experience under my belt. i also don't want them to get a bad reputation because i am so far behind them in the solo department. so i just wont do it right now.
    Alosha,

I really appreciate your ability to take some pretty tough critiques and to take them in the spirit they were offered, without getting irate with the posters.

It really is tough not to have a teacher nearby that is teaching at your level.

Keep up the good work.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I recommend this link that I got from Bhuz on how to choreo
    Bellydance: How to create a choreography
    This is a good article, in fact this almost exactly how I come up with my loose choreographies.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    That is very noble of you - and it will be so good for your dancing. How about picking a song and working with that for several weeks mapping out a choreo (with gaps) Film yourself doing different things to same bits of music, and same thing to different bits of music, then sit down and critique.

IOM you also need to work on having "live" arms. Make sure that your shoulders are down, elbows bent, arms totally relaxed. Avoid having your arms out to the side too much, it is so easy to look like a chicken......... and this is not an egyptian stance.

For travelling steps, I use Jenna Belly dance Basics and Beyond . There are long sections of basic drills and tuition that I still used regurlarly at your stage, then there are 3 mini routines to dance along to, which are not performance pieces, but are for you to practice moves and variations. (I'm Jenpercy). I still used this especially the travelling steps one.

PS gave you rep
    i just got four new cds and am in the process of picking out some music to do a choreo to. and i video EVERTHING, so i think the process could work.
    i'll keep everyone posted.

i am quite a pro at the chicken stance though! i got a blanca's sensual bellydance video, and i really like how she explains the softer movements. looking forward to getting a chance to do it. (i like to watch a video all the way through before i do it so i kinda know what to expect)

and i'll check out the video and article! thanks all

and thanks for the rep! though i believe all the helpful advice is far more important.
    Last edited by alosha; 01-29-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: tyop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    Alosha,

I really appreciate your ability to take some pretty tough critiques and to take them in the spirit they were offered, without getting irate with the posters.

It really is tough not to have a teacher nearby that is teaching at your level.

Keep up the good work.

Marya
    i really appreciate people being honest, as i really want to portray this dance as an art, and show my love for it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this thread would go a bit awry at one point, but much respect to you Alosha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    I thought this thread would go a bit awry at one point, but much respect to you Alosha
    thank you. it really means a lot.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    personally, i like performing and want others to learn this art and see it as much as possible, and would do it for gas money and some food. so do we do community gigs for free, then charge for private events?
    Charity gigs and community gigs are ok to do for free but you should be entitled to expenses. Most charity and community based gigs have funding and will pay other performers. Don't undermine yourself by offering freebies to all and sundry.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456