Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Jenc,

I remember going to classes years and years ago that did the same thing every week and used the same music year in year out.

You could almost run the class yourself after 6 months because it never moved on or changed, it became very boring and predictable.

In contrast i went to someone else who used to keep things so fresh, it moved at such a pace you never learned anything.

I have never taught a beginners class because I cant work out how to deal with new people coming week after week and balancing them with ones who have been coming year after year.

I now teach classes for people who go to other classes for their foundations.
    I work with people who want to be pushed and move onto the next level.

I admire anyone who teaches week in week out to a constantly changeing class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Thanks guys.... I am not allowed in advanced anyway....... I have been turned down twice, second time only last month. 2 dancers were allowed to go up when we finished beginners, but I was not allowed as I could not cope with learning choreo from that particular teacher (I was amazed to find out later that I was fairl average in picking things up.)

i don't really want to go up either. It's all about learning choreos that aren't in my style, and I understand you are expected to know things that weren't taught at lower levels.

Thanks for saying I am a capable dancer, Eshta. If that is based on my posts, I wish I danced as well as I understand about dancing!!

I will be looking for someone to travel to. Thanks

PS we have been asked by the teacher to prepare a short excerpt to show her. This without ever having done any exploratory work or exposure to music in class.

I said that I wasn't too worried as I knew something about how to use music because I've always been an amateur dancer. She replied "Just because you know how to mover, doesn't mean you know anything about ME music!!!!!! I've been studying 14 years and I've been told I really understand it"
    My comment on your dance ability is based on having seen you dance at Saqarah for maybe 5 minutes or so, but it was enough that I got the feeling that you could 'feel' the music, move to it, and not from having learnt 'combinations' that fit.

What does your teacher expect that you and the rest of the class bar the two who made it to the 'advanced' class do? The gap kinda baffles me, are you supposed to simply repeat the beginner term again?

Choreographies can be a useful teaching tool but they wouldn't define my beginners and my improvers (if I had an improvers class).

I think there always comes a natural point when you are ready to break from a teacher, and it sounds like you are at that point already.

It was also my experience that the weekly class format didn't work for me any more. I then went through a phase of attending workshops and that was ok but I realised I needed the intensity and depth that private classes offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those kind words. It is hard to maintain self-belief when your teacher thinks that you must be not very good by definition.

I am now in class called Level 1 which is 2nd year. Up to now, I think most people left after beginners. Teacher had an attitude that beginners don't want to learn technique, they only want to learn one dance. So what you learntwas just what was necessary to do your dance. If a step wasn't in your choreo you didn't learn it. So at the end of this you don't understand weight changes, transitions, music or anything.

Now several of the very nice girls that I am now dancing with are absolute beginners, even if they have done the first class, although some of them haven't. However, the first dance we learnt was a very fast and tricky drum solo. We seem to hav left that one and are now doing one that bores me to tears. However, I am inspired when drilling steps to add arms at a different speed as a challenge. I haven't given up on the class as it is a local ed class and I paid the year in advance. I also haven't identified anyone to teach me the sort of dance I want to do.

I guess I need to attend workshops nearby and then sound out teachers. Unless any of you out there have suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post

I am now in class called Level 1 which is 2nd year. Up to now, I think most people left after beginners. Teacher had an attitude that beginners don't want to learn technique, they only want to learn one dance. So what you learntwas just what was necessary to do your dance. If a step wasn't in your choreo you didn't learn it. So at the end of this you don't understand weight changes, transitions, music or anything.
    the first lady i took classes from did the same thing. a bunch of waltz steps with a shimmy and a bit of veil. time for you to move on. if you have the resources, i think taking a private lesson and then working on what you learn would work better than being with a teacher who doesn't teach you what you want to learn. good luck, and i look forward to hearing of your progress!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance classes

Dear Gang,
    I think that no matter how fantastic one's teacher is, that dancers benefit from study with a variety of people if that is possible. I have tried to treat the learning of dance like I would treat any other subject of study, in that I think it was first necessary to study different styles to know where I wanted to go. I started with Egyptian belly dance, but studied other styles for awhile, too. Then after about 8 years I narrowed into Egyptian belly dance as I seemed to have a talent for that style. I studied that and folkloric dances exclusively. I eventually found that I had talent for specific folkloric and "fakeloric" styles as well.
    I find that it is important to study with a different people even when we are narrowed into a specific style. Just as when we study college level math or history, etc., no one teacher can give anyone everything. We all have our specific ways of looking at any given aspect of the dance, and we all have specific teaching skills that we excel in or are not so good at. After getting the fundamentals, I think students benefit from studying with a variety of instructors.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12