how to wear the hair

eden eyes

i read somewhere that dancers often choose some kind of hairstyle for performing other than what they normally do.

i almost always wear my hair down. it is long, blonde, wavy and thick. i want to keep my hair down for when i perform, but i don't want to be repetitive. any hair style ideas?

(i would prefer nothing like a ponytail :))

Jane

You could curl the ends. It sounds like you have nice hair and don't have to do much if you don't want to.

perhaps try different ways of braiding, leaving some hair down loose, and various sizes of braids. Curlying, waving, headbands/tiaras and such will all make for different looks. Don't be afraid to try pony tails and buns and various other up-do's, they can make for classy or vintage looks :]

eden eyes

i've always wanted to curl the ends to see what it looks like. i have to go buy a curling iron tho lol

braids would be interesting. i always thought it would be really cool to do a vintage style look and hair for a performance. it would be unique, you know? thanks for the tips!

Shanazel

Lord, I've lived and danced long enough that I've been in and out of fashion half a dozen times, and now I'm vintage. :lol:

maylynn

I've got long (dark) wavy and thick hair too! When I dance I also usually just wear it down, but for a change I put product in it to bring out the curl, and then pin random sections from the front up at the crown. I think it's a classy retro look, un peu Brigitte Bardot...

speckie

oh, i tried with headband a few weeks ago and I really looked different! So now I am pushing my tailor to make some more to change :rolleyes:
why don't you try and show us the "before/after" photos???!!!

eden eyes

i'm thinking about loosly curling my hair or braiding it really tightly for a night and then unbraiding it (for the mermaid look).

fawnmarie

You could also give it some stage drama and size by teasing in a "bump" at the crown. I do that when I want my long hair to look more dressy.

eden eyes

my hair is so weird. it's like thin against my scalp but then is really thick as it descends, so I can't tease it very well. i try and try, but it ends up just looking like a rat's nest lol

nightdancer

I have really long hair as well. (Pic for reference) I will usually hot-roll it, and then have a headband in to hold it off my face. If I am really pressed for time, I will take a cheap pony-tail holder, put a ponytail in on the top of my head, and I can roll it in about 8 rollers, setting that while doing my makeup, etc. If I have a fair amount of time, then I will roll the whole thing. Use big rollers for looser, bouncier curls, smaller for the tighter curl. I will usually mix the two for a more natural look. I will also do a half-ponytail after hot-rolling, or run the irons through to smooth it, and just curl the ends under. There is a super-cool braiding site, too.

Braiding Instructions from Dreamweaver Braiding

Hope this helps

Robynne

Mya

I used to have fairly long hair before (see avatar) until 2 weeks ago when my mother "inadvertently" cut off more than i told her to. Now it's right on my shoulders and i can't do a darn thing with it. It looks terrible, i look terrible and i don't know what to do with it to perform.
When i flat iron it it ads about 3 inches, but it's so humid here that it just frizzes right out and then i look ridiculous and still can't perform with it like that. A bun is too harsh and a ponytail looks more like a rabbit tail. :(