Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post
    Leyla Jevouna (sp?) calls the 3/4 shimmy a triplet, but then Jenna does it the way you are saying with a definite pause. But both have a definite weight shift to the other side which makes it easy to walk. I suppose as long as there's 3 moves and a weight change it's going to be the same move, though.
    Physically the move is the same but the look will be different with different timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post
    With the 4/4 shimmy walking, isn't it just the weight shift/step on 1 instead of a pause? grrr.. I wish I could be there and watch you do it and analyze it. Sometimes being here by myself is frustrating with things like this. I want to see you do it and then try to do it myself.
    Yes but the hip position will vary with each step. Step right, right hip (say) is up. Step left, left hip is down (because the right hip is up). With the 3/4 [Turish/up or whatever you call it] step right, right hip up; step left, left hip up.

I find if I think about what my hips are doing I lose it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Physically the move is the same but the look will be different with different timing.
    That does make sense to me, I'll have to do both of my DVD's (those parts) in one practice session this week. One of the things I dearly love about this dance is variation of movement that even slight changes make.

Yes but the hip position will vary with each step. Step right, right hip (say) is up. Step left, left hip is down (because the right hip is up). With the 3/4 [Turish/up or whatever you call it] step right, right hip up; step left, left hip up.
    Ahhhh.. okay, now I understand after trying it just like that!! I'll have to practice this a lot this week, walking with it.

I find if I think about what my hips are doing I lose it!
    I'm the same way. I'll be going along swimmingly and then lose it until I get it in muscle memory. Of course, I lose a lot of things. car keys, bills, my mind..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12