Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hottness

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hottness

so at my lesson it was plain to see that i, in tiffany's words, need to learn to own my hottness and just dance and not be so blah. but i've spent so many years trying to blend in and not be noticed that it's really hard to switch gears and project that 'look at me' that i need to project.

so how the heck do i do it?

what do you do to get yourself prepared to perform? how do you turn your brain off and stop thinking and just dance?

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are several factors here.

First there is a sense of being comfortable in one's skin, letting go and letting the dance 'happen'.

There is learning to project your emotion too, be that something achingly sad when you are dancing to a song about heartbreak or longing or jubiliant when it is a happy song. I think dancers have to be careful about projecting one emotion - like always having a certain smile for instance. A big smile just may not suit some music.

Also, there is loving your audience. You are there to entertain. Think of them, be charming as you dance, flirtatious with everyone - young, old, male, female. Not in an over the top stripper way, of course (cause I don't think you would do that.. lol) but in a 'hey, I'm dancing and I love life and I love being here, and aren't you having a good time!" way.

When you are dancing, you are the Queen of the World! You are the Star!

Sometimes when I dance I visualize or feel like I'm literally shining, like energy is coming out of all of my pores and I feel like I'm glowing. Take the joy you feel when you dance and show it to everyone. You are a gift!

My teacher used to talk of certain elements of dance being 'for the dancer' like when you do taquism or when something is more internal (that sad, slow piece for instance). She spoke of those moments as the dancer 'loving herself' the emotion was still there, still visible, but more about the dancer than her audience. Then there was the songs where it was all about the audience ( I love all of you!)

I hope that makes some sense.
    Last edited by Phoebedances; 02-01-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: thought of something else

Post Thanks / Like

For me it starts with a shower, then makeup and costume and tossing away my mundane name and putting on "Kashmir". Just before I perform I breathe and do a little meditation to feel the energy moving. Then I merge with the music. I enjoy it and take pleasure in my body's response. No additional "projection" the audience just takes in my dancing self.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was a breakthrough when I realised that people aren't really looking at me -they are looking at the dance.

When my mind interferes: I need to be hotter etc, I loose it. That's when I'm focusing on ME. If I focus on that I'm the tool or instrument the dance uses for exposing itself, I sparkle and dance like a queen :-) It is so much easier to merge with the music and the flow when your mind is not in control. This is for me the only way I can touch my audience's hearts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tina Rules View Post
    For me it was a breakthrough when I realised that people aren't really looking at me -they are looking at the dance.

When my mind interferes: I need to be hotter etc, I loose it. That's when I'm focusing on ME. If I focus on that I'm the tool or instrument the dance uses for exposing itself, I sparkle and dance like a queen :-) It is so much easier to merge with the music and the flow when your mind is not in control. This is for me the only way I can touch my audience's hearts.

Dear Tina,
    Huge REP to you for understanding that it is really our goal to get lost in the dance, become the dance, not make it all about MEEEE! I could just hug and kiss you to death!!!!!!!!!! I think the very best dancers move past the point where they have the need to make it so much about themselves and into a very different space where they see themselves as a vehicle for expression in the dance form instead of a separate ego that happens to be dancing right now. This does not mean that the individual person disappears all together, but is an integrated part of the dance process rather then THE star attraction.
    Off to give you much deserved REP now.
    With great respect,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    so at my lesson it was plain to see that i, in tiffany's words, need to learn to own my hottness and just dance and not be so blah. but i've spent so many years trying to blend in and not be noticed that it's really hard to switch gears and project that 'look at me' that i need to project.

so how the heck do i do it?

what do you do to get yourself prepared to perform? how do you turn your brain off and stop thinking and just dance?
    Phoebe, really said a lot of what I would have said too, and everybody who has already posted has added a lot too, I just wanted to add that throughout all of the lessons, performing, learning etc, just be true to yourself, don't try to fake being "hot" just be yourself with the music.

To me being hot is achieved by the combination of music, movement and integrity. For me the movement, combined with the music and the dancer generates some kind of magical energy that can be shared with the audience.

Getting to the point of turning off your brain takes some practice. I have also found that I cannot use choreography if I want to achieve that magical energy.

Also you don't need to project " Look at me" if you are alone on the stage the audience will look at you without you having to "ask" them to. For me with much respect for my audience I feel it is preferable to look at it as sharing something wonderful with them rather than asking for their attention.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

so at my lesson it was plain to see that i, in tiffany's words, need to learn to own my hottness and just dance and not be so blah. but i've spent so many years trying to blend in and not be noticed that it's
    What does hotness mean in the USA? Here is means sexy in a fairly superficial way and it surprises me that this seems to be central to the dance. A component, sometimes, sure, but it surprises me it would be the focus, so I'm wondering if it's a language thing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the rep, Aisha

Actually, I wrote a lot more but I keep getting thrown off this site.

.....project that 'look at me' that i need to project.
    The funny thing is, you think you need to do or be something when the mind is in control. When you let go, being an instrument, you are just as sweet, hot or whatever, as you can possibly be, no need to be anything else than you are at the moment. It comes so natural when you let go of the need, you are just what you "need" to be.

Another thing I have experienced: when being the instrument, you feel so humble and grateful for having the oppertunity to share your dance and passion -an attitude many of the great dancers have. When focusing on ME, it is all about wanting appriciation and applause, being better than the others, jealousy of other dancers...I can go on and on.

You don't loose yourself when letting go of the ego, as Aicha also said. You know deep down that you add something of your own uniqueness to the dance, that no one else can, like a piano and a violin have their own unique sound, and then you feel even more grateful and humble for having the chance to share this uniqueness. It becomes all about joy, passion, having fun, being in the flow and sharing, as Kashmir, Pheobedances and Marya said. And you can litteraly feel the energy spilling out of you like a fontaine. Sometimes it really make me cry with joy....

Post Thanks / Like

Marya and TinaRules added so much to what I was trying to say. It is Magic as Marya is saying and it is the connection between yourself and the music that makes a dancer more than just herself.. more than just a collection of moves.. more than a choreography.

TinaRules, the idea of being a fountain is so perfectly stated! Maybe that's why there is such a feeling of energy when it is working so well, cause it literally spills out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    What does hotness mean in the USA? Here is means sexy in a fairly superficial way and it surprises me that this seems to be central to the dance. A component, sometimes, sure, but it surprises me it would be the focus, so I'm wondering if it's a language thing
    basically, she was telling me to believe in myself, that i am worthy of being on stage, that i am worthy of being the center of attention. to put attitude into it, not just do the moves.

thank you so much to everyone! i love love LOVE the fountain visual! i really just need to stop thinking so much (not just in dance but in life too). i'll miss all of the good stuff if i over-think everything.

you all are just so very helpful. thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast