Teaching Senior citizens

Marya

Friends,

I have just agreed to teach a class at the senior center. the ladies who asked me are two terrific ladies who appear to be in their late 70's. One remarked about her trip to Turkey and Greece and how much she enjoyed the dancing she saw there. They are looking for a fun way to exercise. They are confident they can round up 10-12 ladies.

I have had ladies in their 60's and 70's in my class before, and I really didn't have to modify things too much, a little extra attention, a little more work on breaking things down. But I may have ladies in their 80's and the surface to dance on at the senior center is hard.

Any suggestions of things to avoid? things that will be easier? ideas for compensating for stiff joints?

Marya

Kashmir

Flexibility will often be less - but that is obvious. The other thing to take care with is the sens eof balance - so no fast direction changes.

People vary a lot though. In one of my senior citizen classes the best student was 92!!!!! She out-did a lot of the 70 year olds.

lizaj

Don't expect too little of us oldies. You'll be amazed.
Just as with youngsters some will be fitter and flexible than others.
Most of us oldies are aware of our frailties..you should see our record pack at the GPs! The health and medical forms you give out may need more than one page!;)
We oldies are less worried about making a fool of ourselves, we are making hay while the sun shines so you may have to deal with a lot of enthusiasm.
The hard floor is a worry so you may have modify the impact but that's the same for a 16 year old as a 60 year old.

Yeh we oldies love to show off our operation scars, illnesses ..we rarely keep 'em secret!Try getting us to shut up.
Hey go for it..we are often the keenest with the most stickability even if we have to zimmer off twighlight home for twinklies eventually.

FatimaS

Blessings to you Marya:clap: i am 57, have been dancing (hobbyist) for almost 2 years and i love it.

most "older" ladies dance for the sheer fun of it. we get to be silly, wear fancy clothes and makeup and we are old enough now that we don't care if we make a mistake or not (age has its advantages). my last class had 3 ladies over 40. we had a ball.

some moves--like turning fast--are dangerous, but hip drops, shimmies are the most fun you can do legally...:lol: it reminds us that yes, we are still HOT!!:lol:

again, bless you...

Shanazel

Balance and arthritis are the only actual problems I came across in teaching people 65 and older.

Kharmine

Given that we tend to lose the extra padding in our feet as we age, some of the ladies might feel more comfortable wearing a slip-on shoe that has a good tread (the better not to slip), rather than dance barefoot on a hard floor.

I'm trying to find something I've heard before -- that if one has some unsteadiness to start with, it's easy to lose one's balance if one is looking down. The body has a tendency to want to follow the direction of the eyes. Anyone heard that?

Marya

Given that we tend to lose the extra padding in our feet as we age, some of the ladies might feel more comfortable wearing a slip-on shoe that has a good tread (the better not to slip), rather than dance barefoot on a hard floor.

I'm trying to find something I've heard before -- that if one has some unsteadiness to start with, it's easy to lose one's balance if one is looking down. The body has a tendency to want to follow the direction of the eyes. Anyone heard that?

I saw that on a tv special on aging.

I think everyone will wear some kind of shoe, my self included.

Marya

Marya

Well,

today was the first class for the Senior center ladies. Some of them looked about my age (56) and some were obviously older.

one lady seemed to have a shoulder that was causing her pain. But other wise the issues were ones common to beginners at any age.

I could use some help with creative ways to drill movements for students who really just are looking for a fun way to exercise.

My usual technique of teaching seemed a little fast paced, even though I used slower music than I usually do. When I don't have mirrors I like to work in a circle and drill the movements while walking if appropriate, that seemed a bit of a challenge, but my goal is to make it fun and to have them feel like they are dancing.

I could also use some help with ideas of how to modify movements so they still look like BD movements but are easier to do.

Suggestions welcome.

Marya

Last edited:

FatimaS

Well,

today was the first class for the Senior center ladies. Some of them looked about my age (56) and some were obviously older.

one lady seemed to have a shoulder that was causing her pain. But other wise the issues were ones common to beginners at any age.

I could use some help with creative ways to drill movements for students who really just are looking for a fun way to exercise.

My usual technique of teaching seemed a little fast paced, even though I used slower music than I usually do. When I don't have mirrors I like to work in a circle and drill the movements while walking if appropriate, that seem a bit of a challenge, but my goal is to make it fun and to have them feel like they are dancing.

I could also use some help with ideas of how to modify movements so they still look like BD movements but are easier to do.

Suggestions welcome.

Marya

congrats, marya--(i'm your older sister, 57:)..i found that the smaller movements to be the easiest to do and it also allows the beginner (me, included) to connect with our bodies and the movements that we can make.

discovering "shimmies" (IMO) is the best because right away you "feel" the essence and the benefits of the dance.

core muscles (tummy) may be utilized for some the first time in a long time.

focusing on them goes a long way in understanding how "it all goes together".:dance:

hope this helps....

Marya

Don't forget to use veils -- gives those arms more to do and looks pretty.

I agree, but dang it, there isn't enough room! maybe if we move out into the senior meals room instead of the game room there will be space enough, I will have to wait and see.

Marya

Shanazel

I sometimes have my students hold veils while practicing other moves. It gves their hands something to do, gets them in the habit of holding their arms up, and makes them feel pretty all at the same time.

Marya

I sometimes have my students hold veils while practicing other moves. It gves their hands something to do, gets them in the habit of holding their arms up, and makes them feel pretty all at the same time.

How do you have them hold the veils? I have taken to using scarves for the same purpose.

We don't have enough room for veil work, but if they are just holding them that might work.

Everybody loved the hip scarves I provided, and a few wanted to know where to purchase them.

Marya

Balance and arthritis are the only actual problems I came across in teaching people 65 and older.

In addition, balance issues may come from previous surgeries of the knees or hips or even residual effect from a CVA(stroke). In no way does this stop anyone form learning or loving the dance. But as a teacher it's important to have such an awareness as most students aren't able to link past health ssues with some of the more rigorous movements in dance.
An example:
I once had a mother and daughter in my class. The Mother was joy to have in class, she loved to dance and was very enthusiastic. During a lesson in which they were learning the 3-step turn..she just could not get the sense of direction. So during hands-on guidance, I noticed her turn-pivot on the left foot was wobbly. After several attempts..her daughter said that she had a stroke years ago and that her left foot was numb. "Oh yeah" the Mother said" I had a small stroke but I recovered without therapy."
It became clear to me that she also had a bit of left-sided neglect, so her left side did not have a strong synaptic connection as her right.
The solution...
I suggested that she cast her eyes downward as she stepped toward the left.This helped her understand her position and body awareness(propriocetion) and prevented any falls.

Maybe instead of a generic health history, make sure you have check boxes for common ailments/surgeries. It will guide you as a teacher and provide a safer environment for students.
Yasmine

Shanazel

How do you have them hold the veils? I have taken to using scarves for the same purpose.

Marya

Students might begin with the veils held behind them with the top edge at shoulder level and arms softly outstretched. If the veil comes to rest on a student's shoulders, she knows she has dropped her arms. Other positions include a lowered veil with hands about hip level, and a raised veil with arms over the head and the veil framing the face, or with one arm lowered and the other raised to form a frame for the dancer. We also use the veil held in front of the body for a frame or shield. The only thing a small room keeps one from doing is floating the veil, which of course is the most fun.:(

I hope this makes sense. I am feeling a bit under the weather this morning and it seems to have affected my brain as well as my respiratory system.

Marya

Students might begin with the veils held behind them with the top edge at shoulder level and arms softly outstretched. If the veil comes to rest on a student's shoulders, she knows she has dropped her arms. Other positions include a lowered veil with hands about hip level, and a raised veil with arms over the head and the veil framing the face, or with one arm lowered and the other raised to form a frame for the dancer. We also use the veil held in front of the body for a frame or shield. The only thing a small room keeps one from doing is floating the veil, which of course is the most fun.:(

I hope this makes sense. I am feeling a bit under the weather this morning and it seems to have affected my brain as well as my respiratory system.

it makes sense, thanks,

Marya