Freedom

khanjar

I was just sitting here watching some of the videos posted on here, specificaly the male dancers and the feeling came that it just doesn't look right, males dancing, and then I stopped myself because of the thought that was leading to males should keep in the background, not be a spectacle, basically the way the majority of males are which is not the right thinking. So I asked myself what is it about males who wish to dance, what is it about myself wanting to do ME dance and why ME dance.

Then I remembered what it is and what it was, males dancing to me, having the self confidence to be free with their expression, to be human. My desire is about finding that freedom, freedom of self expression. Oh why ME, well that is purely because it pulls at something inside, the drums and the sometimes seemingly wild and complex music. The music is not just for the dance as the dancer pulls a thread out of the music to follow, the music is not about the dancer, nor for the dancer, but for the music, the dancer is just but part of the whole as are those playing and listening.

I wondered why ME and not This, as this is the folk dance native to Britain to at least the thirteenth century, but somehow, it is just not it, I hope you can see why, although I give it them, the dancers, they are brave and I suppose free, free to express themselves in dance.

So, my conclusions regarding men wanting to dance, especially a non native dance and a dance known by most as a dance performed by women is honestly and purely about freedom, freedom to be human.

Of other male dancers here, what is your take on why you seek me dance, your reasoning, or do you just do what you do because you like it and don't think any deeper than that ?

Kharis

I was just sitting here watching some of the videos posted on here, specificaly the male dancers and the feeling came that it just doesn't look right, males dancing, and then I stopped myself because of the thought that was leading to males should keep in the background, not be a spectacle, basically the way the majority of males are which is not the right thinking. So I asked myself what is it about males who wish to dance, what is it about myself wanting to do ME dance and why ME dance.

Then I remembered what it is and what it was, males dancing to me, having the self confidence to be free with their expression, to be human. My desire is about finding that freedom, freedom of self expression. Oh why ME, well that is purely because it pulls at something inside, the drums and the sometimes seemingly wild and complex music. The music is not just for the dance as the dancer pulls a thread out of the music to follow, the music is not about the dancer, nor for the dancer, but for the music, the dancer is just but part of the whole as are those playing and listening.

I wondered why ME and not This, as this is the folk dance native to Britain to at least the thirteenth century, but somehow, it is just not it, I hope you can see why, although I give it them, the dancers, they are brave and I suppose free, free to express themselves in dance.

So, my conclusions regarding men wanting to dance, especially a non native dance and a dance known by most as a dance performed by women is honestly and purely about freedom, freedom to be human.

Of other male dancers here, what is your take on why you seek me dance, your reasoning, or do you just do what you do because you like it and don't think any deeper than that ?

I think that the bottom line with all dance forms, is that it's about just enjoying it. If we gravitate towards a certain dance form, then who knows, perhaps it's in our genes, or cell memory. I do feel that we should all be allowed to do this regardless of gender. There are some in the UK who say that men should not be allowed into bellydance classes, that's its a woman's dance blah blah, but why shouldn't men do it, and do it well. A restaurant owner I used to work for, was really into the dance. He loved it, and said that he wanted to learn and perform it as a child but his father forbade it. he was Turkish. His eyes used to light up and he became really animated when I danced and loved to join in. Dance is such an inherent form of personal expression, and as humans, when we hear even the most simple and basic rhythm, we feel the need to tap our feet if not get up and actually dance.

Last edited: