What does it take to be a good belly dancer?

KEL

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but not to belly dancing. That's why I love it. Anyway, I hope to take it up seriously and some day become an instructor, and if good enough, a performer.

Anybody out there know what it takes to be such?

:)

Farasha Hanem

Hello, KEL, welcome to the forum! I'm not an instructor, nor am I a performer as such (I'm still a fairly new bellydance student), but I do believe that to be able to be either takes lots of dedication, practice, and study, not only of the dance moves, but also the history of bellydance, and the culture of the Middle East. This forum is a great place to gain a lot of knowledge, I've learned a lot since I joined back in late 2007. The members here are absolutely sweet, and can steer you in the right directions for any info you need. Finding a good instructor is very important---I started out with instructional tapes and DVD's, but nothing beats personal instruction. Are you taking classes now?

KEL

Hi Farasha!
I'm so happy to receive your reply. I havent' started pure belly dance classses yet, but I've attended a workshop and several such classes in gym studios. I find it kind of easy to pick up belly dance moves somehow. Thanks on the tips on instructional tapes. Classes here are expensive. By the way, is there a stigma for age? I'm 35 years old this year. I feel like I'm too old to enter this field... but it's my interest and I know I'll be sad if I just let it go.

jenc

I'm 60 this year have been dancing this year BUT there is no easy path. Even if you find dancing easy, you need hours of practice to train the muscles and get the stuff into muscle memory. You need to use a whole new set of muscles when you are doing it properly!!

Luckily it's adictive!!!

KEL

hi jenc & Farasha,
Wow, you two are an inspiration! Thanks :)
I shall not be discouraged by age then! Over here in Malaysia, the instructors are all very young ... below 30.

Farasha Hanem

My instructor, who is 23, is only a year older than my own daughter, but that doesn't bother me at all. :) I personally believe we can all learn from one another, even if the person you're learning from is younger than yourself. Our instructor is lots of fun, and very caring. She watches us like a hawk to make sure we don't do anything to hurt ourselves, and if she sees someone who looks exhausted or in pain, she adjusts what she is doing, or has us take a break altogether. She goes to workshops and constantly does research on bellydance, so she's continuing her own growth as a dancer, too (she takes classes once a week). I feel very blessed to have her as my teacher. :)

Farasha Hanem

:) As long as you're in good health, there's no reason why you can't bellydance. A lot of women don't start dancing until they're in their 40's or 50's, or even 60's. According to one source I've read, in most Middle Eastern countries, a dancer who's in her 30's or 40's is considered to finally "be in her own," so to speak. Dancers are lovely, no matter what the calendar says. :dance:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for information and answers:D

As for being too old, no way! 35 you are just a baby!:D I am 60, started dancing at in my 55th year. I won't ever be a professional, but maybe one day I will teach. But for the moment I perform at haflas, and other community events but mainly in a group.

One of my instructors is 48 the other is 32. The 48 year old started dancing when she was about 35, the other has been dancing since she was very young, both dance professionally and of course teach.

If you practice, practice, practice and dedicate yourself to the dance ( it tends to take you over:lol:)there is no reason why you couldn't become a teacher and performer, but to get to that point i do believe you need to have formal instruction, DVDs etc are good to reinforce, but a good instructor/s can correct any problems and it is really a lot easier to advance with hands on instruction.

Go for it and just enjoy - dance from the heart!
~Mosaic

KEL

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for information and answers:D

As for being too old, no way! 35 you are just a baby!:D I am 60, started dancing at in my 55th year. I won't ever be a professional, but maybe one day I will teach. But for the moment I perform at haflas, and other community events but mainly in a group.

One of my instructors is 48 the other is 32. The 48 year old started dancing when she was about 35, the other has been dancing since she was very young, both dance professionally and of course teach.

If you practice, practice, practice and dedicate yourself to the dance ( it tends to take you over:lol:)there is no reason why you couldn't become a teacher and performer, but to get to that point i do believe you need to have formal instruction, DVDs etc are good to reinforce, but a good instructor/s can correct any problems and it is really a lot easier to advance with hands on instruction.

Go for it and just enjoy - dance from the heart!
~Mosaic
hi MOSAIC, Thanks so much for the encouragement! Now I can be sure that there really is so much to look forward to.

KEL

:) As long as you're in good health, there's no reason why you can't bellydance. A lot of women don't start dancing until they're in their 40's or 50's, or even 60's. According to one source I've read, in most Middle Eastern countries, a dancer who's in her 30's or 40's is considered to finally "be in her own," so to speak. Dancers are lovely, no matter what the calendar says. :dance:
Thanks again Farasha, I'm so glad I discovered and joined this forum! Cheers to female empowerment!!! (hugs)