Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile What are the toughest moves?

Hi everybody... I'd like to know what moves are the toughest to carry out in belly dance. I'd love to hear from your experiences, as I intend to do belly seriously. ciao!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think it varies from person to person, since everyone's body and coordination level are different, as well as one's ability to pick up and learn new things easily. One student may have trouble with snake arms, another may find the 3/4 shimmy to be confusing, while another might have trouble layering a shimmy on top of a maya (my current trouble -_- ). As for potentially dangerous moves, such as backbends, it's best not to get over-enthusiastic and try to do something your body may not be prepared to do. Unless you've had previous experience, don't try any movement that can potentially hurt you without being under the instruction of a competent teacher who can work you up to the more difficult moves. Anywho, that's my two cents, hope others will join in with their opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

The hardest moves can be the simplest - as you progress you still need to practice basic moves and gain perfect control. It worries me when beginners start talking about difficult moves. you need to look as though the music is being channeled through you and you can do this with the simplest steps as well as more complicated.
    It's much better to dance doing what you can do beautifully, than to strive for things that you don't quite pull off.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thanks for all the advice :-)
    I shall bear this in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

It will depend on what you can "naturally" do. For me headslides, walking 4/4 shimmy and sideways undulations are "normal" - although I know other dancers who find each of these difficult - while it took me ages to get a walking 3/4 or a full body camel/undulation that didn't look spastic.

Difficulty will depend on your range of motion ie flexibility and the way your bones and joints are assembled, what neutral pathways you already have and the complexity of the layering. (That's assuming you mean "toughest" as in most difficult rather than most dangerous)

The hardest thing is to make it look like a walk in the park. A thrashing about dancer is not a good dancer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough moves

Dear Kel,
    I find that with beginners, the movements that tend to be the hardest to understand and execute are fundamental undulation and fundamental sway. For some reason these two consistently give trouble to at least a third of my beginners.
    Among continuing students, I find that maintaining a big blurbly shimmy while layering it with other pelvis generated stuff tends to be the biggest challenge for the longest time.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I think it varies from person to person, since everyone's body and coordination level are different, as well as one's ability to pick up and learn new things easily.
    I agree. And as many people who learn bellydancing have a background in another type of dance, you definitely see how an extensive experience in other forms of dance can both make moves a lot easier or a lot harder to learn.

It's funny because while most people move from ballet/modern/jazz, etc to bellydancing, I went from bellydancing to flamenco which I guess you can say is fundamentally closer to ballet. When I first started my teacher kept reminding me not to do "African" movements which was not an issue for students who were starting with a clean slate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Among continuing students, I find that maintaining a big blurbly shimmy while layering it with other pelvis generated stuff tends to be the biggest challenge for the longest time.
    ooh, that's ME! I don't feel so alone any more

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    ooh, that's ME! I don't feel so alone any more

Dear Aniseteph,
    In the over 30 years I have been teaching now, I have found that this is one of the most challenging elements for continuing students to learn and maintain. I have taught all over the States and in Canada and find that it's a pretty common thing to have trouble with big shimmies and layering. I wish I was there because I could show you a few things that might help.........oooohhhhh, it's SO frustrating not to be able to pop myself here and there to show somebody something, because I am not good with explaining movement without using the human body!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Dear Kel,
    I find that with beginners, the movements that tend to be the hardest to understand and execute are fundamental undulation and fundamental sway. For some reason these two consistently give trouble to at least a third of my beginners.
    Among continuing students, I find that maintaining a big blurbly shimmy while layering it with other pelvis generated stuff tends to be the biggest challenge for the longest time.Regards,
    A'isha
    Same here. In fact these were difficult moves for me as well. But once they were unlocked..I had a greater connection to my body.
    Yasmine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast