Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morocco View Post
    Thank you so much!

Will I see you at Majma or Celebrate Dance this year??

Aunt Rocky
    Sadly no. We have the AGM for our dance organisation on the weekend of Majma and I am committed to JoY,a fund-raising for Just because,probably Raqs B and summer workshops...2009 is a very crowded belly dance calendar!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to take everything that was going locally (not much, really), but this year I've made a conscious decision not to do the local, learn-a-choreography workshops. They can be great fun, and useful for dancers who haven't really started doing their own choreographies yet, but there are often other opportunities to learn the choreographies. I think that sort of workshop needs more than just racing through a choreo - a great teacher/dancer, cultural background, or exploring the creation of the movement vocabulary, perhaps with improvised sections.
    So, I'm going to Majma (yay!) and doing two workshops with Morocco, one of which is a choreography. I'm also debating going to the workshop in Glasbury the following week, but is it going to be the same choreography?
    I could happily have filled my time at Majma three times over, but then, I'm (still) at a stage where the more I learn, the more there seems to be to learn.
    I'd prefer not to have workshops shorter than travel time to get there, but living in the middle of nowhere makes that a bit difficult!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post

Teachers I have seen perform and liked [their style], or heard good things of.

More technique, less "learn a choreography to perform"... Can't remember them to save my life...

Taster sessions for styles/props I've not had much to do with.
    I agree with Aniseteph. Looking back at workshops I've attended, I've got nothing to show for any of the choreographic workshops I've attended - I think I'm going to remember it and use it, but I never do.

The workshops I remember are those where I've learned a new technique or a new skill - and I would include things like stagecraft and musical interpretation here, as well as more tangible skills like sword or veil.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234