Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How long to shimmy?

How long did it take you to learn a controlled shimmy?
    I've been working at it for 2 months and all I can do is shake my entire body in a haphazard fashion. Anyone have tips?

Post Thanks / Like

make sure to do it to music. that way you have a beat to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you are doing the correct movements slowly, in time with the music. Practice loads in double time to build up stamina and make sure you are moving rythmically before speeding up again.

Ensuring that your shimmy reaches the right bits is also very much down to posture. If you don't have a teacher - please don't learn to shimmy before lerning other moves properly.

Likewise, if you have just started with a teacher don't try to run on too fast at home before you are shown how to stand and move correctly

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you have the correct posture.
    make sure you have that pressure distributed correctly so that when it's released you get that shimmy.
    relax!!!!! enjoy!!!be liberated
    I once saw a performance once that ws entirely of shimmying..magic
    but it isn't everyone's favourite move to do..it comes easier to some than others. Leyla Jouvana has a very helpful DVD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BexterK View Post
    I've been working at it for 2 months and all I can do is shake my entire body in a haphazard fashion. Anyone have tips?

Try standing in a open doorway and put your hands up on the door jamb to help keep them quiet.

Or practice with a friend and hold each others hands to help each other.

this is common with beginners, and practice will help.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

How have you been practicing? Sometimes the method of practice makes a difference.

For me, I practiced every chance I got, under varying circumstances. Just standing there and trying to force myself to shimmy was completely unhelpful. Moving around, thinking of other things while trying (watching TV, vaccuming, etc), with shoes, without, etc helped a ton.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi BexterK,

Being mindful, articulate, and precise about how you're originating the shimmy can be very beneficial and eventually give you more variety in your arsenal of shimmy dance vocabulary.

For lower body shimmies you can focus a majority of the work on the obliques, glutes, legs, shift of weight in the feet, or a held contraction of various muscle groups for different effects.

Can you describe the shimmy that you are working with?

Best, ~Zanbaka

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TribalDancer View Post
    How have you been practicing? Sometimes the method of practice makes a difference.

For me, I practiced every chance I got, under varying circumstances. Just standing there and trying to force myself to shimmy was completely unhelpful. Moving around, thinking of other things while trying (watching TV, vaccuming, etc), with shoes, without, etc helped a ton.
    i find i practice a lot in the shower. no one there to bug me, and i'm relaxed. learned the hard way not to do moves in releve in the shower though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BexterK View Post
    Can you do the underlying movement correctly slowly? If not, work on that first. Then bring up the speed. A shimmy is in time to the music. With my students we start half time, then full time, then double time. If they lose it go back a level.

Also, to stop the rest of the body shaking you have to relax every thing except the muscles driving the shimmies - often the abs. So, legs soft, butt soft, chest lifted and soft.

Post Thanks / Like

I assumed we weren't talking about layered shimmies, but a standard up shimmy (timing is irrelevant if the whole body is shaking--timing is the next step after control in my book).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast