Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leyla Jouvana has a very helpful DVD.
    Heehee, I was watching this about a year ago with a friend. Somehow we couldn't help noticing that Leyla's feet are moving away from eachother as she shimmies, and she has to keep bringing them together. I wasn't able to concentrate on her shimmy after I noticed ...

Anyhow, the dvd is good though,. I think correct posture, strengthening certain muscle groups (upper legs, glutes, abs...) can help. Correct posture and alignment of the knees (keeping them facing forward) helps a LOT.
    Are we talking about knee driven shimmy or the one that uses the hips (like 3/4 shimmy)?

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to ask the same question - if your whole body is shaking, are you using the correct technique?

Often, when I see a dancer vibrating all over in the shimmy, it's because she's trying to shimmy with her hips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TribalDancer View Post
    I assumed we weren't talking about layered shimmies, but a standard up shimmy (timing is irrelevant if the whole body is shaking--timing is the next step after control in my book).
    Not in mine. A shimmy by definition is a relaxed, timed move - layering is a another issue altogether.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are working on lower body shimmy you can also give yourself a hug to help keep the upper body stationary.

Post Thanks / Like

After my teacher, Maria Aya, told me off about my “shimmying up to my boobs”
    I used to practice by tying my hip scarf on my chest and trying to make it stay silent, while doing the standing shimmy. That helped a lot.

The shimmy is the most challenging move for me (that and the omi).
    It takes tons of practice. I thought I would never get it, but I manage a decent shimmy now.

So don’t despair, if I were able to improve, anyone can!

Post Thanks / Like

Samira,

What a great idea! thank you I have the worst time with shimmies. I'm getting there, though.

Post Thanks / Like

My current teacher told us to "Just let it all go" which meant I was pretty much vibrating through my whole body uncontrollably. I'm going to start practicing with these techniques and tips though! It's still taking me more time than I was hoping, but I'm gonna try to stick it out. I'm trying to find a teacher that's NOT through a community center. Maybe that will help

Post Thanks / Like

It's more "just let some of it go".

Post Thanks / Like

Like said before, try to do it to music so you can follow the rythm. Don't try too much at once, keep them short at the beginning because -like i always say-: it is better to have a good short one, than a crappy, really long one. And also very important: try to relax! Many dancers are very tensed when they want to shimmy because in the beginning, you might think that this will keep your body still. In fact, it makes it even worse!
    I think my shimmy just got better along the way. That it probably what will happen to you, just don't give up yet ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sophia the sloth

I'm having issues with the shimmy, too. I can't seem to go fast enough without losing control of everything, hence the nickname I gave myself "Sophia the Sloth." I just watched Sadie's complete bellydance guide dvd and she explains it wonderfully and has already helped with this issue, but it's no miracle worker so I'm still not there yet. I'm gonna try the suggestion of tying the hip scarf around my chest to try and keep it quite. We'll see.
    Good luck to you. It seems you're in good hands when the girls on this forum make suggestions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast