Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaSzoli View Post
    I'm having issues with the shimmy, too. I can't seem to go fast enough without losing control of everything, hence the nickname I gave myself "Sophia the Sloth." I just watched Sadie's complete bellydance guide dvd and she explains it wonderfully and has already helped with this issue, but it's no miracle worker so I'm still not there yet. I'm gonna try the suggestion of tying the hip scarf around my chest to try and keep it quite. We'll see.
    Good luck to you. It seems you're in good hands when the girls on this forum make suggestions.
    Also check your posture and make sure you are relaxed - eg for my hip shimmy butt and thighs are very loose. Take it slowly, if you find you are spazzing and can't stop. Stop moving, start slow and bring it up again. If you are really having a bad day and can't get it - go do something else or you'll end up drilling bad habits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got it!!!!

Believe it or not, I got my shimmy! Still not perfect and I'll definitely need to work on my stamina, but I got it! Thanks everyone :-D I'm psyched

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm if your whole body is shaking, then I would recommend adding some stretches to your warm up that help isolate your upper body from your lower body
    like there is one when you put your arm over your head and stretch the oblique
    it really helps keep those 2 parts of the body separate

no. 2 practice all the time; brushing your teeth and washing dishes are prime time for it

no 3 dont try too hard, my problem when i couldn't shimmy is that i was putting too much oopmh into it if that makes sense
    when i finally learned I realized shimmying long term is not very hard;

no 4 patience, it takes a while to get the hang of it
    if you practice you get it

no 5, different explanations
    if you dont have the money to buy a bunch of shimmy, drum solo dvds, then go online to google and find all different types of explanations of it
    everyone explains it differently and has different methods of learning
    jillina explains it differently from sonia to leyla jouvana etc....
    if i didnt have all that different input i dont think i would have learned
    one explanation is going to strike you more than others
    there are also a bunch of different explanations online youtube etc
    different types of shimmies
    try different shimmies see how each one works for you

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BexterK View Post
    Believe it or not, I got my shimmy! Still not perfect and I'll definitely need to work on my stamina, but I got it! Thanks everyone :-D I'm psyched
    yay you got your shimmy epiphany!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123