Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    This is true. And every profession does have it's experts, who generally research and write about their subject to enable others to share this knowledge. The problem with bellydance is that even if you do write about it, as with Wendy Bounaventura, you still get slated for not getting your facts right. So, just who is an 'expert' in this dance? Is it possible to be an expert? Has anybody studied it for long enough and researched it thoroughly enough? Does anyone have a degree in it or some other academical qualification that justifies being expert?
    Wendy wrote a book, that does not make her an expert in all that is Belly dance.

I think also Serpent of the Nile was written at a time there was little else and no computers, so research was taken from books and travel.

By the way, the book has been updated and will be out soon.

People can be 'armchair buffs' too.... they are often the ones with the most fascinating snippets.

Post Thanks / Like

This is right. It's what makes people happy at the end of the day. So is there a need to dissect the dance and proclaim what is right and what is not right about it? Or should it just remain a dance that everybody can enjoy?
    I was meaning this in terms of how long people spent thinking about it.

Personally I always think there is a need to dissect, it is how we have come to understand things and how they work.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post

I think also Serpent of the Nile was written at a time there was little else and no computers, so research was taken from books and travel.

By the way, the book has been updated and will be out soon.
    I should think that books and travel are the best forms of research. Wikipedia for example, has just been exposed as being far from accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wikipedia for example, has just been exposed as being far from accurate.
    Just for curiosity's sake, why do you say, "...just been exposed"? Was there some recent incident?

From its inception, I've always figured Wikipedia was only as good as its contributors. There's no peer review, no real editor to challenge the contributors on the quality of their statements. Anyone with a pet theory, no matter how far off the lunatic fringe it is, can make it seem legitimate by sticking it in Wikipedia.

Hmmm, maybe I should go edit Wikipedia's belly dance entry to say that belly dancing was brought to earth by the same space aliens who created the civilization of Atlantis and built the pyramids at Giza....

Post Thanks / Like

I should think that books and travel are the best forms of research. Wikipedia for example, has just been exposed as being far from accurate.
    Wikipedia has always had the fatal flaw of being hijacked by misinformed zealots. I remember trying to correct some of the worst crap years back only to return later and find someone had reinstated their pet theory/myth/cult. And it isn't just belly dance, a friend working in a scientific field wrote some technical articles only to find people did a similar thing - ie replaced information based on 30 years research with urban myths.

Books are only useful if they actually reflect reality. Wendy's books tend to be generated from another space. Funniest thing was one of her later books actually had references - but when you checked them out she was referencing her own "Serpent of the Nile" - which has been slated by any one with any knowledge as pretty but vacuous.

Travel is good - providing you don't just do tourist.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the clip is just a small sample of her dancing, but purely on what she does in the clip, I found it a little.. silly? Running around veil on head, looking a bit like she's being chased in a market place by over zealous shopkeepers who want to sell her something a bit less nun-like? Anyway, that was the thought that popped into my head watching that little bit. Doesn't make me want to search the net for more.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'll take Fifi or Dina or Orit any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I understand the motives of the likes of Soraya Hilal and Wendy in that they wanted to bring a beautiful dance into a different light and onto a different stage. Of course by doing so they may be seen as automatically condemning those practitioners who don't follow their mission. .
    I really dont care about what someone does, but I do care when he/she calls is "the only one that teach the authentic thing" special when its farrrrrrrrrrrrrr away from authentic.

The influence of these things spread and stay into peoples mind, i still have students that come and ask me with horror:
    But you are on the balls of your feet !!!! only loose women ethics dance this way !!!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post

Travel is good - providing you don't just do tourist.
    yes, I'm referring to the kind of travel Morocco has done regarding the dance.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Just for curiosity's sake, why do you say, "...just been exposed"? Was there some recent incident?

From its inception, I've always figured Wikipedia was only as good as its contributors. There's no peer review, no real editor to challenge the contributors on the quality of their statements. Anyone with a pet theory, no matter how far off the lunatic fringe it is, can make it seem legitimate by sticking it in Wikipedia.

Hmmm, maybe I should go edit Wikipedia's belly dance entry to say that belly dancing was brought to earth by the same space aliens who created the civilization of Atlantis and built the pyramids at Giza....

Yes there was. There was an article about it. Wiki is not something I generally ever use for reference, to be honest, as I know it's open to edit. But some folks may think it's 100 percent accurate and it has been used for reference on a thread or two, Bhuz I think. I'm sure it's generally pretty accurate but it's not something I'd take a gospel.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebedances View Post
    I know the clip is just a small sample of her dancing, but purely on what she does in the clip, I found it a little.. silly? Running around veil on head, looking a bit like she's being chased in a market place by over zealous shopkeepers who want to sell her something a bit less nun-like? Anyway, that was the thought that popped into my head watching that little bit. Doesn't make me want to search the net for more.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'll take Fifi or Dina or Orit any day.
    Me too, but as Caroline pointed out "how can we judge what is too much or too little and what constitutes 'a life'." Obviously, this is Suraya Hilal's passion/obsession and who are we to criticise her? We may watch her and think, For God's sake...get it right!" But to her, it is right. That's her perspective, I guess. Each to their own, etc, etc...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast