Hi From Trinidad

TriniDancer

Hi Everybody,

So I've been lurking around here for several weeks and visited the site off and on for the past 2 months and finally decided to join. I'm from the lovely Caribbean island of Trinidad and have only been dancing for six months and I just love it. The joy I feel after going to dance class can only be described one way, it's "better than chocolate!!". The only time I feel that same intense euphoric feeling is when I run and yeah my family can't understand why I would do such a dance [they also don't undertsand why I'd wake up at 5am to run] but hey it's what makes me so me you know?

I found MED by accident in Aug 2008 when I went looking for a latin dance class and I just couldn't find a single class close enough to home with classes on a Saturday. I found an ad in the papers offering arabian dance and decided heck why not although I was scared and really intimidated. Ok I admit I had the whole thought that MED was kinda like stripping so I thought I was going to some seedy place where questionable women would be gyrating to some weird music. Boy I had such a death grip on my cellphone when I went to the dance studio which is in a gym I didn't even dare step entirely through the door, I sorta just peeked in and imagine to my surprise in the waiting area were everyday type women just moms with their daughters, younger women, older women and not a seedy looking one among the bunch :lol:. Then I started to get intimidated thinking maybe the teacher is gonna be some stick like woman with rippling abs of steel and how the heck am I ever gonna fit in with my thick waist,belly and stretch marks? Then the teacher walked in and started teaching and I was surprised she wasn't skinny, had fat on her belly and have stretch marks in the exact place I do :shok: But when she danced and did all kinds of shimmies and stuff I saw the fat ripple in a way I thought was amazingly sexy. Yeah I went home after that first class telling the bf that I want to learn to jiggle my belly fat and make it look sexy too :lol::lol:.

Well six months later and forget jiggling to look sexy, I just love learning to dance and being able to embracce my femininity which was something I had been ignoring. And that latin dance class? Ha I never looked for another one, I think me and MED are in a love affair for life. Wheew I was kinda long winded but I'm really glad to be here.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
LOL! Loved your story ... glad you decided to un-lurk! Welcome to the forum and to the dance!
~Mosaic

Maria_Aya

Heyyy you just got hooked to bellydance like all of us !!!
Enjoyyyyyyy it, its part of your life now;)

Maria Aya, Greece