Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    I dance on my bike! Getting the speed and floaty feeling of arabesques is perfect (you even get wind in your hair that makes you feel like a diva), upper body work is fine, simple hip accents and shimmies are ok, elaborate arm work is trickier and veil is out of the question . Choregraphy-planning is great while cycling.
    Oh, but think about the wind you could get under your veil!!! Keeping it out the the spokes would be akin to keeping it out of the soup in a restaurant! And how one could glide without the effort of a choo-choo . . . I can just picure the staging. Oh the mental images are wonderful!

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    Oh, but think about the wind you could get under your veil!!! Keeping it out the the spokes would be akin to keeping it out of the soup in a restaurant! And how one could glide without the effort of a choo-choo . . . I can just picure the staging. Oh the mental images are wonderful!

Regards,

Anala
    Yes you are right with the wind in the veil. My concern is using the arms to swing it around. My kind of bike is one where I have keep at least one on the steering or else it will start to wobble. I could of course tuck one end of the veil in the waistline and just wave around with the other end.
    or... dare I say it...Unicycle-bellydance! uh oh we'll see it on youtube in a week or so...
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    or... dare I say it...Unicycle-bellydance! uh oh we'll see it on youtube in a week or so...
    hee, hee! you read my mind!

Post Thanks / Like

While driving a lot, the kitchen, the shower, pretty much the same places as you all.

Just out of curiousity, and I promise that I'm not hijacking, its (sorta) related-- A lot of us are moms, employees and students with insane schedules. So when do you practice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    Just out of curiousity, and I promise that I'm not hijacking, its (sorta) related-- A lot of us are moms, employees and students with insane schedules. So when do you practice?
    The official answer is in troupe on Mondays, in class on Thursdays, and in my "studio" (converted spare bedroom) in between. Problem is, the five year old daughter wants to "play" in the studio with me, and, the cat (who will have ignored me for hours) will suddenly want to be in there swatting things. Veils, fringe, you name -- it's all tempting to felinity. Maybe there is just THAT much positive energy in the room that everybody wants to join in.

So, unofficially, I practice in less than ideal ways. By that, I mean whenever I can; however I can. Visualization has been helpful: if I have music playing and I can't wiggle around (like at work), I mentally picture myself dancing. I "command" the muscles with my brain, but I go just up to the point of engaging them so that I can "feel" the moves internally but they just don't show. Sounds a little nutty, but visualization can actually help you talk to the muscles more and enhance isolation. It is NOT the same as practice -- traveling steps, for example, require moving and feeling your weight shift.

I, too, practice while brushing teeth (great time to shimmy!) or in the shower (good way to unlock a tense back with shoulder rolls). My most unorthodox thing though has got to be body waves: my teacher told us to pretend we were sitting down, so I practiced every time I went to the toilet! I figured I was alone, I had several times a day to work on the move, and I could take my time to get it right. she never forgave me for actually TELLING her that's where I practiced it.

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

That is verging on too much information Anala...
    But I've practiced the occasional shimmy in the ladies' at work, and tried out step patterns in the chemical store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    That is verging on too much information Anala...
    But I've practiced the occasional shimmy in the ladies' at work, and tried out step patterns in the chemical store.
    sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    sorry!
    see, this is what happens when I try to do a post without peppering it with smilies. Nothing to be about - if you think I'm not going to be trying out the odd undulation myself....

Post Thanks / Like

I have to confess that I stopped doing all this stuff years ago, but I still have friends who will be making me a cup of tea and chatting about something totally unrelated to dance whilst doing Egyptian walks or fig 8's..

I usually ask if they need the loo.

Post Thanks / Like

See, I am not the only one with the bathroom humor!

(extra smilies for Aniseteph)

regards,

Anala

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast