Weird Places you Practice?

TriniDancer

So right now I'm at work and since it's Fantastic Friday (Carnival is 23 & 24 Feb) I'm at my desk with some of my MED music playing while i do belly rolls, some chest cirlces to the music while I sit behind my desk. Shhh hopefully my boss doesn't pass by and wonder what I'm doing :lol: Anyhoo any starnge or weird places you find yourself unconsciously shimmiying or practicing?

Mya

in any queue; bank, vegetable mart, you name it and i'm doin it. And like you, once i'm at my desk i'm doin somethin'. :)

Sita

Bus stops, train stations -same as Mya any queue or place where I've nothing to keep me occupied.

Sita

TriniDancer

I was at a wedding reception on the 14th and I had been struggling to get the walking shimmy without having to think about every movement and somehow in the middle of some East Indian music there I am dancing up a storm and it just pops out :dance: I don't know what it was maybe I was feeling the music instead of thinking about a move but I felt so happy to have done it. Maybe my psch teacher was right she constantly tells me I overanalyze things:rolleyes::lol:

kayshier

So right now I'm at work and since it's Fantastic Friday (Carnival is 23 & 24 Feb) I'm at my desk with some of my MED music playing while i do belly rolls, some chest cirlces to the music while I sit behind my desk. Shhh hopefully my boss doesn't pass by and wonder what I'm doing :lol: Anyhoo any starnge or weird places you find yourself unconsciously shimmiying or practicing?

you sound like me...i do this all the time when i'm at my desk
if i am on site and i am alone i do some hip drops, hip circles, camels and a shimmy
but it does not matter where i am really.

kayshier

I expect on carnival monday when i am listening to a rhythm section or tassa group i might just start to do something.
i have noticed though that my wining has gotten a lot more fluid and my movements more diverse when even dancing to soca...:lol:

Azrael

In the car! :) Since I'm not legally allowed to drive yet, I do it all the time! :)
Even while in classes at school and doing 3/4 shimmies around the house, or while in the kitchen making lunch. :) pretty much all over the place!

TriniDancer

Girl I was dancing to Faye Ann's "Heavy T Bumper" after the three "offload the heavy t bumper gal" in the chorus you can totally throw in a nice big hip circle. I realise it's gonna be awhile before my teacher starts teaching us omis because of our wining culture. yeah I was learning it from a dvd at home and really had to remember legs close together and not to stick the booty out :lol::lol:

I expect on carnival monday when i am listening to a rhythm section or tassa group i might just start to do something.
i have noticed though that my wining has gotten a lot more fluid and my movements more diverse when even dancing to soca...:lol:

gisela

Super Moderator
I dance on my bike! Getting the speed and floaty feeling of arabesques is perfect (you even get wind in your hair that makes you feel like a diva), upper body work is fine, simple hip accents and shimmies are ok, elaborate arm work is trickier and veil is out of the question :D. Choregraphy-planning is great while cycling.

Last edited:

Oona

*In the car

*At work desk

*In the loo or if no one's around, just in the office space

*In a patch of grass and trees somewhat secluded just down the hill from my workplace

*In a camper van

*Standing in a field doing bat surveys, but I usually wait until it's too dark for people to see what I'm doing LOL :D

PracticalDancer

I dance on my bike! Getting the speed and floaty feeling of arabesques is perfect (you even get wind in your hair that makes you feel like a diva), upper body work is fine, simple hip accents and shimmies are ok, elaborate arm work is trickier and veil is out of the question :D. Choregraphy-planning is great while cycling.

Oh, but think about the wind you could get under your veil!!! Keeping it out the the spokes would be akin to keeping it out of the soup in a restaurant! And how one could glide without the effort of a choo-choo . . . I can just picure the staging. Oh the mental images are wonderful! :)

Regards,

Anala

gisela

Super Moderator
Oh, but think about the wind you could get under your veil!!! Keeping it out the the spokes would be akin to keeping it out of the soup in a restaurant! And how one could glide without the effort of a choo-choo . . . I can just picure the staging. Oh the mental images are wonderful! :)

Regards,

Anala

Yes you are right with the wind in the veil. My concern is using the arms to swing it around. My kind of bike is one where I have keep at least one on the steering or else it will start to wobble. I could of course tuck one end of the veil in the waistline and just wave around with the other end.
or... dare I say it...Unicycle-bellydance! uh oh we'll see it on youtube in a week or so...

nightdancer

While driving a lot, the kitchen, the shower, pretty much the same places as you all.

Just out of curiousity, and I promise that I'm not hijacking, its (sorta) related-- A lot of us are moms, employees and students with insane schedules. So when do you practice?

PracticalDancer

Just out of curiousity, and I promise that I'm not hijacking, its (sorta) related-- A lot of us are moms, employees and students with insane schedules. So when do you practice?

The official answer is in troupe on Mondays, in class on Thursdays, and in my "studio" (converted spare bedroom) in between. Problem is, the five year old daughter wants to "play" in the studio with me, and, the cat (who will have ignored me for hours) will suddenly want to be in there swatting things. Veils, fringe, you name -- it's all tempting to felinity. Maybe there is just THAT much positive energy in the room that everybody wants to join in.

So, unofficially, I practice in less than ideal ways. By that, I mean whenever I can; however I can. Visualization has been helpful: if I have music playing and I can't wiggle around (like at work), I mentally picture myself dancing. I "command" the muscles with my brain, but I go just up to the point of engaging them so that I can "feel" the moves internally but they just don't show. Sounds a little nutty, but visualization can actually help you talk to the muscles more and enhance isolation. It is NOT the same as practice -- traveling steps, for example, require moving and feeling your weight shift.

I, too, practice while brushing teeth (great time to shimmy!) or in the shower (good way to unlock a tense back with shoulder rolls). My most unorthodox thing though has got to be body waves: my teacher told us to pretend we were sitting down, so I practiced every time I went to the toilet! I figured I was alone, I had several times a day to work on the move, and I could take my time to get it right. she never forgave me for actually TELLING her that's where I practiced it. :lol:

Regards,

Anala

Aniseteph

That is verging on too much information Anala...
But I've practiced the occasional shimmy in the ladies' at work, and tried out step patterns in the chemical store.

Caroline_afifi

I have to confess that I stopped doing all this stuff years ago, but I still have friends who will be making me a cup of tea and chatting about something totally unrelated to dance whilst doing Egyptian walks or fig 8's..

I usually ask if they need the loo.:think: :D