Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Badia Masabni article

    Jalilah writes about Badia Masabny for the Gilded Serpent

    I have just had a brief read through of this article on guilded Serpent about Badia Masabni.

    One of the interesting pieces of info was Badia was brought up in Argentina.. isnt that weird that I mentioned about Asmahan and Argentinian culture in the Egyptian dance code thread! well I thought it was strange...

    what do folks think of this biography? there is also an interesting little clip to watch which was an advertisment for her First Club called Casino Badia on Emad Edine St in Cairo.

    There are some Amazon 'pop ups' which made reading difficult and a stupid snake which appears at the top and makes reading impossible.. there is also some ink type error where it fades in places... who designs these things?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Marya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA USA
    Posts
    941
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Jalilah writes about Badia Masabny for the Gilded Serpent

    I have just had a brief read through of this article on guilded Serpent about Badia Masabni.

    One of the interesting pieces of info was Badia was brought up in Argentina.. isnt that weird that I mentioned about Asmahan and Argentinian culture in the Egyptian dance code thread! well I thought it was strange...

    what do folks think of this biography? there is also an interesting little clip to watch which was an advertisment for her First Club called Casino Badia on Emad Edine St in Cairo.

    There are some Amazon 'pop ups' which made reading difficult and a stupid snake which appears at the top and makes reading impossible.. there is also some ink type error where it fades in places... who designs these things?
    Thanks for posting the link. The problems you had (pop ups snakes etc) are probably due to Internet browser incompatibility, which means the web designer was lazy and didn't cross check the web site with other browsers.

    I have experienced stuff like this too on other web sites and it is very aggravating.

    Marya

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Caroline!

    Yes, thanks for posting. I don't like Gilded Serpent website design too much either but this article was worth reading and the video clip was interesting too--given that they were dancing, singing, and she was playing sagat too. Is this "awalim" like?

    In this story, she is raped in childhood by a cafe owner and then in a separate incident many years later, attacked by her brother to defend family honor (His reason is not quite spelled out --do we assume that it was because she was a dancer and/or ran a nightclub?) I may be misremembering but thought I read elsewhere a version of her life where there was actually just one incident of a rape/attack involving a friend of her brother. At any rate, it seems certain she never married.

    I just had a look at the book Jalilah mentions... Das Bauchtanz and as one would assume, it is in German. I wonder whether Jalilah reads German and was just summarizing the book for us in English in the article? I wish the book--but even more Masabni's memoirs--was available in English!

    P.S. I have been enjoying your posts on the local dance establishments of Cairo on Bhuz!

    Cathy

  4. #4
    Senior Member Marya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA USA
    Posts
    941
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cathy View Post
    Hi Caroline!

    I just had a look at the book Jalilah mentions... Das Bauchtanz and as one would assume, it is in German. I wonder whether Jalilah reads German and was just summarizing the book for us in English in the article? I wish the book--but even more Masabni's memoirs--was available in English!

    P.S. I have been enjoying your posts on the local dance establishments of Cairo on Bhuz!

    Cathy
    Jalilah lived in Germany for many years, I am sure she reads German. She is quite approachable and used to post on MEDlist quite a bit. She helped me understand some of the music on her CDs quite a few years ago.

    Marya

  5. #5
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Masabni

    Dear Caroline,
    Thanks for posting the article by Jalilah. I don't know if you have ever met her, but she is a Sweetheart of a person! It is interesting that she referred to the club version of the dance as "Dance of the Ladies". I have heard all of the other names, but not this one. Also, besides Badran and Graham-Brown, this is the first article that has mentioned that she had matinees for women only.... and that the women were Egyptians!!
    I do know that Jalilah loved in Germany, and the producers of her CDs (Pirhana) are located there.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  6. #6
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cathy View Post
    Hi Caroline!

    QUOTE]given that they were dancing, singing, and she was playing sagat too. Is this "awalim" like?
    I think the set up was 'Awalim like'. She certainly was staged at the ma'alima with the other dancers supporting her. As the aticles states, Raqs Beledi was undergoing many changes at this time and I think what we see is the hybrid of Raqs Sahrqi and Baladi together. Certainly the incorperation of the sagat added to the feeling of beledi combined with the costume.

    The other dancers were in the new two piece style associated today with only Raqs Sharqi (or in some cases Shaabi).


    In this story, she is raped in childhood by a cafe owner and then in a separate incident many years later, attacked by her brother to defend family honor (His reason is not quite spelled out --do we assume that it was because she was a dancer and/or ran a nightclub?)
    I really dont know.. rape does go on with no connection to the morals of the girl/woman in all corners of the world.

    I may be misremembering but thought I read elsewhere a version of her life where there was actually just one incident of a rape/attack involving a friend of her brother. At any rate, it seems certain she never married.
    Yes, it seems so although I did hear once she married for a very brief time.. I dont know hoe true this is.

    I just had a look at the book Jalilah mentions... Das Bauchtanz and as one would assume, it is in German. I wonder whether Jalilah reads German and was just summarizing the book for us in English in the article? I wish the book--but even more Masabni's memoirs--was available in English!
    what was the name of the publishing company you work for?


    P.S. I have been enjoying your posts on the local dance establishments of Cairo on Bhuz!
    Thanks! I mailed the link to add my experiences of this sort of venue. I am just beginning to navigate my way around Bhuz again. It is a very big site.

  7. #7
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Dear Caroline,
    Thanks for posting the article by Jalilah. I don't know if you have ever met her, but she is a Sweetheart of a person! It is interesting that she referred to the club version of the dance as "Dance of the Ladies". I have heard all of the other names, but not this one. Also, besides Badran and Graham-Brown, this is the first article that has mentioned that she had matinees for women only.... and that the women were Egyptians!!
    I do know that Jalilah loved in Germany, and the producers of her CDs (Pirhana) are located there.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    No I have never met her although I have heard lots of nice things about her through my friend Hossam Shaker who was involved with one of her CD's.. I dont have any so I have no idea which one.

    I thought the article was a fascinating read.

  8. #8
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    More Badiya gossip..

    In an Egyptian Tv series about Um Kulthoum there was an actress playing the part of Badiya Masabni.

    She was portrayed in the series as someone who hated Um Kulthoum and was very jealous of her sucess.

    Badiya apparently fell into a deep depression as Um Kulthoum rose to fame.

    This is TV gossip by the way... dont take my word for it!

    My husband and mum in law insist Badiya was married to Naguib El Rehany.

    He starred in films with Tahiya Carioca his most well known being 'L'abit Sit'
    (The Lady Game).

  9. #9
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Rep

    Dear Caroline,
    I would like to give REP to you for consistently starting threads of interest and intelligence to the forums. I also want to thank you for sharing your firsthand knowledge, though there are those who feel that such information has little value, since it is not easy to find substantiation in articles, books, etc. Personally. This kind of first hand info is priceless and it teaches us the true soul of the dance and people, as opposed to the academic resource. Unfortunately, I seem to have REPped you recently and can not give you any more. anyone willing to do it for me??
    Regards,
    A'isha

  10. #10
    V.I.P. Tarik Sultan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Jersey City, New Jersey
    Posts
    2,366
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Jalilah writes about Badia Masabny for the Gilded Serpent

    I have just had a brief read through of this article on guilded Serpent about Badia Masabni.

    One of the interesting pieces of info was Badia was brought up in Argentina.. isnt that weird that I mentioned about Asmahan and Argentinian culture in the Egyptian dance code thread! well I thought it was strange...
    Dear Caroline:

    Its not very strange at all. Practically every Caribbean island and South American nation has an Lebanese community. They came in the late 19th century mostly as traders and they were and still are mostly Christian. One of the former prime ministers of Jamaica was of Lebanese origin, Edward Seaga. My next door neighbor was also Lebanese descent, or as we call them Syrian. At the time they arrived, Lebanon was still a part of Greater Syria.

    There's also a very influential Lebanese in Trinidad. I had the pleasure of meeting a few of them while I was there both times. Nevertheless, it just illustrates what i've been saying for a long time, which is that the people of the region were well aware of the outside world because they were also a part of it in many ways.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •