Dieting anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon

Hi Maria Aya (nice new picture, I didn't recognise you for a minute, lol)
I didn't know you're from Crete, because you live in Athens now I guess?
I don't know exactly where I had all those milkshakes, but I've had quite a lot. (It's 12 years ago since I was there). I've had them at different restaurants in different cities. But not the ones they sell at McDonalds. Those are just typical McDonalds milkshakes and I like those, but they are nothing compared to the real greec ones ;)
However I'm not sure if milkshakes are really healthy when you're on a diet. Maybe they're a little too fat? But have one once in a while won't hurt I guess. Probably more healthy than coffee or wine ;)

Mariyam

Ah yes, dieting... gotta get back on track, it's more than needed now. But as it was said before by other posters, when your life is more stressful than you can handle, where can one find the energy to diet? Not to go into details, but the last year has been horrible and I just couldn't get back into it. I have lost about 25 kg already, I would need to lose at least the same amount!

Maria, I didn't know you were from Crete? I've been there once, more to the East actually (I stayed in Kokkini Chani) and I really loved it. Of course, the beaches are nice, but all the history... fascinating!

Attachments

• 2358.jpg
    2358.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Zurah

Uugghh... that most vile, indecent four-letter word... the moment I even think of it I get uncontrollable cravings to eat huge amounts of junk food. As a result, the closest thing to a diet plan I follow is to not diet... I definitely eat more sensibly if I'm not depriving myself. Now, I'm as much of a junk-food lover as the next girl, but I recently realized that from the time I decided to start dance classes, and made some important changes in my eating habits, I haven't even had a cold. I also find that new addictions, uh, hobbys, tend to keep the weight at bay... I'm sort of the opposite of an emotional eater, I guess - if I'm busy with a new project or whatever, or during stressful times, my appetite decreases.

Alaya

Hi all. I was on a diet last year and I have lost 30 pounds, but this year is difrent, I am stil realy chubby, and becaus mypersonal situation Iam not able to diet, a lot of stress is not helping. I am happy that it is hot, you do not want to eat whe it is so hot. I am trying to loos some weight well maby pizza from time to time,I am no angel.

gwinity

'human hoover mode"
LOL - I am so adopting that phrase! When I get PMSy I switch into that mode, too, particularly if I'm in the throes of a bad day at work. But I figure one or two days of "hoovering" and appallingly bad eating habits balanced by moderation the rest of the month is fine. :)

[edit] that was odd - I was replying to Viv's post below!

Last edited:

Viv

I don't believe in dieting. I'm not a slim person, but I believe that restricting food and labelling it "bad" is bad for you psychologically, and I'm sure is one of the reasons why so many women have such warped views of food.

I agree with you that labling food as "bad" gives you a warped view of how and what you eat. For me moderation is the key. If I'm craving cookies I can have a few cookies, just not the whole bag no matter how much I want it.
For my own diet hurtles I have several. I like the flavor of many fruits and a few vegatables but not the textures. I love things made with tomato sauces for example but I can't actually bring myself to eat a slice of tomato. My daily food intake is typically very heavy on starchy, sugary foods because those are what I really like. I also tend to bing eat just before my monthy cycle starts, what I call the 'human hoover mode", where I just can't seem to get full. My work/home scedual is so crazy that we often are eating out which makes eating healthy hard. The last nail in my eating coffin is that I tend to want to eat mainly late at night, especially in our 110+ degree summers when the heat of the day makes food unappealing. All that adds up to what amounts to a pretty awful diet.
What I found helped me keep my wieght under control was to try to limit my intake of food into smaller portions. If we order pizza for dinner I might have one or two slices. Then later on that evening I might have a third if I get the munchies instead of eating all three (or more) slices like I used to and then snacking on something like cookies a couple of hours later. I also found that weight watchers makes a double chocolate muffin that is wonderful. Just big enough to make you feel full, but not oversized, and it's rich enough to kill the craving for chocolate and sweets. I've found starting my day with one keeps me feeling full until around noon when I try to eat the biggest meal of the day. My craving for sweets tends to be less during the span of the day as well. The other thing that seemed to make a huge difference for me was drinking LOTS of water. I'll drink one to three 24 oz bottles of water a day.
I do allow myself binge moments such as holidays or when we are on vacation. During those times I won't worry so much about what or when I eat, just try to keep the portion sizes small so I can sample lots of goodies. I darn near ate my way through Disneyland this weekend...LOL. Although there I'm pretty certain with all the walking it evened itself out pretty well *grin*

Azeeza

Hi all. I was on a diet last year and I have lost 30 pounds, but this year is difrent, I am stil realy chubby, and becaus mypersonal situation Iam not able to diet, a lot of stress is not helping. I am happy that it is hot, you do not want to eat whe it is so hot. I am trying to loos some weight well maby pizza from time to time,I am no angel.

Hi Alaya:

I hope you aren't down on yourself for not losing more weight this year. My goodness, you've lost 30 POUNDS :eek: !!! You are 30 pounds lighter than you were a year ago! That is nothing to sneeze at either! CONGRATULATIONS on your success!!

Azeeza

Azeeza

OK, where was Nathan's Hotdog eating competition yesterday??? I could have downed 100 dogs in 12 minutes and look at Kobayashi's plate for more dogs after the 12 minute mark was up!!

I swear, every one day out of PMS I can eat everything in sight and not ever feel full! It's disgusting too!

Today is a new day though and I'm hoping my eating will finally subside!

Azeeza

Demelza

I sometimes wonder where I put my food. there are times when I can literally eat my way under the table. some of you may not agree with this but i find that downing 2 pints of water before my meal helps to stop me from over indulging.

Hey by the way, is it true that dandilion tea helps reduce fat? and is it true that eating celery (not a big fan, me) helps too, cos apparently you burn more calories just chomping on the stuff than is actually in it ???

Angela/Kalila

Hi again, my fellow dieters. Thanks for the kind words and advice, Demelza and starbirdfashion. I don't think I will ever be superslim either, but at my age (38) I am going for the curvy bellydancer look. I just would like those curves in the right places of course. I am quite happy with my chest which is a full C cup for the first time in my life (because I am heavier now than I have ever been) but I am unhappy about my midsection, that is really my worst area. When I lose weight it improves greatly, but unfortunately my chest gets smaller. Oh well, you can't have it all... Due to extreme stress in my personal life I just lost 5 pounds. If my stress is about medium-level I will eat the house, but if the stress is hard-core as it is at this moment I do lose my appetite. But I wouldn't recommend this method. It can't be healthy. I can identify with the PMS discussion too. The week before my period is awful. My mood is terrible and I crave all things either sweet and chocolate or salty and greasy. I never had PMS like this until after I had my son, (who is now 4). It is very difficult to diet during this week. Anybody have any good de-bloating tips?

Oh I had to add something. Yes, Demelza, I think celery is very good. I've heard it has negative calories because the body expends more calories to digest it than what little calories it has. When I have had a special occasion that I wanted to look good for I have eaten very lightly the day before (with celery) and it seems to have a diuretic effect. Does anybody else notice this? And yes, I think bellydance costumes are a great incentive for losing weight. Oftentimes, I go into my closet and look at my costumes hanging there, so beautiful and sparkly. They lift my spirits somehow...they are very happy things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viv

LOL!!!! From reading the last few posts I would say I'm not alone in "Human Hoover" mode around my monthly cycle. One thing I found that helps me get through that never feeling full phase is to stock up on things that can be grabbed in small handfulls throughout the day. Apple slices, grapes, chips, cookies, beef jerky (hubby makes the best beef jerky), popcorn, cheese slices, carrot sticks, hardboiled eggs, you get the idea. I find that if I have something I can grab a handful of and then walk away from it helps with the constant feeling of needing to eat because I am pretty much eating through the day in handful sized amounts of all sorts of things. Don't know if that will help anyone else, but in case it does, enjoy *grin*!

Azeeza

Celery, hmm...That's one of the foods that I really don't like. Isn't that strange? Celery is so harmless too.

I do like carrots though and brussel sprouts to a certain degree. I even like sugared beets, but celery. That's a problem for me.

Perhaps I should just keep celery in the fridge and see what happens. I'd lose weight like crazy!

Azeeza

PS My water intake has grown enormously. To the extent that I don't have time to drink coffee or tea any more.

miss_shimmy

me too

yep i started today,changing my eating habits,no more naughty junk food.
i find eating soups helps take down the craving for bad foods.
frozen banana is a great one.
its great that we can support each other :)

I have recently had allergies that have been caused by food,so I am taking this new way of eating pretty serious.i had an egg the other day and i was all swollen and was sick and couldnt breath,that was my wake up call.
I am food combining,I did this a while ago and it worked out realy well.

I used to not like celery,but today i had sliced carrot,cucumber and cellery and i didnt mind it!!

I think all ofd you here should be proud of yourselves for making such a powerful decision to treat yourselves better,those junk foods are made in a way that makes you addicted.

all the very best

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Last edited:

miss_shimmy

de bloating tip

a tip for de bloating is you can drink dnadelion tea,drink lots of water ,eat small but often.

i find for me what works is the food combining,stops me bloating,Its horrible being all bloated,(((hugs)))

another thing is peppermint oil in your bath-it aids digestion,I do a combination of these things,it sure is worth it

hugs

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

samira shuruk

Dandelion root is a diuretic and also invigorates a sluggish intestine. If your tea is made out of the root (not just the leaves) it seems it can help you lose water weight, but not fat. This article has more in depth information
Ahhhh....the celery question. I've heard it's nonsense, but not sure. Also- not sure it's really all that relevant- how much celery can you actually eat?
I tend to steer clear of "miracle cures" and fad diets- and just try to eat mostly healthy foods in moderation. I have sweets when I want, but with the exception of dark chocolate I don't keep desserts in the house.
Healthy eating in moderation combined with exercies is how people take the weight off AND keep it off. Fad diets and miracle cures usually result in the weight going back on.
There is a different mindset between "dieting" and "choosing a healthy lifestyle".

miss_shimmy

hi

I tend to steer clear of "miracle cures" and fad diets- and just try to eat mostly healthy foods in moderation

funny you should say that.as thats what i decided yesterday.
thankx for the reinforcement

:)

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is'adZahira

Southbeach

Hello girls!

I'm also doing diet and choosed the Southbeach diet, full of flavor, very healthy and flexible. The box teach you what to eat, what not to eat and why.

Lydia

dieting anyone

For this one i am lucky...i dont ever diet,i burn a lot working all day and usely i have to be carefull not looze to much weight,and start to look skinny...so i can eat what i want,and i think dieting is not so good anyway...eat what you like but watch the amount and the time you eat...use commen sence eat what you can burn...if you know you wil sit on the sofa all day ....dont,t stuf yourself that day....if you gonna work realy hard....yella go for it.eat ..dont eat before you sleep because you will not burn it ...!! you be fine like that....i know many people dont agree with me on this but what to do can not make everybody happy....bon apetite Lydia

Moon

Hm, somehow a reply I posted some time ago appeared as first post of this thread, so now it looks like I created this thread :confused:
Would be nice if someone can delete that post?

Status
Not open for further replies.