Hello...

SophiaSzoli

I'm brand new at belly dancing (studying tribal fusion and cabaret - I couldn't decide so I signed up for both) and I already hooked. Any pointers for awesomeness are always welcome. I'm looking for some good beginner's instructional dvds and some good cropped "workout" shirts for class.
I'm so glad I found this forum! :D

Aniseteph

Hiya, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new addiction!

Pointers, hmmm... :think: Have fun, practice, give yourself time to get new things because some will come easier than others and it isn't a competition, and listen to lots of the music.

I can't help on DVD recommendations, I never get round to doing them, but there are threads here about it I'm sure.

ooh, that's another pointer - hang out here and learn loads!

Farasha Hanem

Hi, SophiaSzoli, and welcome to the forum. I did a little bit of research and found these threads on the forum:

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/7669-why-do-we-use-dvds.html

Anisteph is right, don't worry about the little odds and ends stuff for now. :) If you have some workout pants, yoga pants, or even good old sweat pants, and some sports bras, those can do for now. They're functional, and let you see your movements. Save your money for good ME music CD's, and maybe a few beginner instructional DVD's. Invest in maybe one, or even two, DVD's for now, because sooner or later, you're going to "outgrow" them, and they'll probably end up just sitting on your shelf. When you are able to save up some money, it might be even more beneficial to buy some performance DVD's in the styles you are studying, so you can familiarize yourself with the subtle nuances of each style (as opposed to copying the dancers move-for-move). Unfortunately, I can't make recommendations for those, but there are a lot of lovely people on this forum who can probably help out.

Hope these help; best wishes to you on your new bellydance journey! :dance:

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum, I notice Farasha has pointed you to threads that may be of help.

Sharifwear ( google the name) had lots of tops/pants etc that you may like. Check out ebay as well, some good buys are often found on ebay.... good luck with your shopping.
~Mosaic

SophiaSzoli

Hello All!

I want to thank you all for your warm welcome and wonderful advice! I have just started my collection of belly dance paraphernalia and tools. Thanks to some of the advice that I've found here, this is what I've got so far:
DVDs -
Jenna's Belly Dance Basics and Beyond
Rachel Brice Tribal Fusion Yoga and Isolation Drills
Ariellah Contemporary Belly Dance and Yoga
Sadie's Complete BellyDance Guide

I know some of these are above my abilities right now, but at least I'll have something to grow into. Plus, I have my classes in dance and yoga to help get to those levels.

CDs-
Solace Rhythm of the Dance
Solace Moon Moth Mixes

Clothes -
so far I have my yoga workout outfits and a hip scarf. I'm making my own hip scarf out of yarn I bought a couple of years ago with no project in mind. What can I say? - it was too pretty to pass up. Now I have the theoretically perfect project for it.
I still need a top since I don't have any that actually show my mid section during workouts. I'd normally just go for the sports bra, but it's a rule in one of the buildings I have class in to have a shirt on at all times. It makes it kinda hard to see if you're doing the move right, ya know?

Anyway, thanks again for your words of wisdom. I'll keep reading and eventually have something to contribute!

alosha

if you have netflix, they have some good insructional videos, so you can 'try before you buy'

every vid i have from world dance new york is good. I really like Darshan's tribal fusion nyc. it has some amazing drills in it.

clothes-
wear a long tank top, and fold it up over the girls. shows the tummy well, and stays put. and they're super cheap.

and welcome to the forums!