I have a question

Cheshy

I haven't even started belly dancing yet but I will be taking classes in March.
I'm really excited and it's something I know I will love doing. A few years ago I had surgery for scoliosis (a curve of the spine) and I now I have to metal rods one on each side of my spine. My question is, Is this going to affect being able to dance?

-Alyx

da Sage

I haven't even started belly dancing yet but I will be taking classes in March.
I'm really excited and it's something I know I will love doing. A few years ago I had surgery for scoliosis (a curve of the spine) and I now I have to metal rods one on each side of my spine. My question is, Is this going to affect being able to dance?

-Alyx

You should ask your doctor and tell your teacher. You will definitely be able to do some dance moves, but others will be smaller (or maybe not possible at all). I think you should start conservatively, and listen to your body. If something feels "wrong", it probably is, and you should experiment (with your teacher's help) until you find an alternative that works better for you - like maybe belly rolls if undulations are uncomfortable/impossible.

The great thing is that because bellydancing is usually done solo, you can tailor those performances to the moves that work for you (just like all the other soloist do);):)

eden eyes

i have a back problem too, although mine is not as severe as yours. i have lordosis, or sway back, where my spine curves in a bit more near the butt than it should. or so my physical therapist says, maybe i just have a gigantic booty.

nonetheless, i have other back problems and i can belly dance just fine (excluding the Turkish drop and extreme back bends)

but as sage said, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. he knows best.