Strike A Pose

Mouse

At the end of a group piece I am currently learning, we are supposed to strike a dramatic pose (each girl different from any other) to finish. I tend to keep falling back on the old 'one arm up, the other hand at the hip' pose but I'd rather end with something a bit different. I was hoping you guys might be able to give me a few ideas (preferably with visuals) so I don't end up looking (and feeling) like a dork.

Many thanks!
Lisa

Moon

You could also find some pictures of bellydancers on the internet to get some inspiration (Salome's pictures to start with for example ;))

Rebecca_

You could always lift both of your arms above your head and press the palms of your hands together in the prayer position.
Okay guys, this is bad. I'm sitting in my electricity and magnetism class on my lap top reading the forum. Shame on me!

Rebecca_

I just thought of another cool one. I don't know if I can describe it, but I'm going to try. Stand up very straight, and roll your shoulders back. Extend your arms backwards, bent slightly at the elbows, palms flat and parallel with your body. This should frame your butt/hips nicely. This looks cool if you put one foot slightly in front of the other, front foot on the toe, with thighs together. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and thinks they can explain it better, please feel free to.

elle21

If you're comfy with the 'one arm up, other on hip', you can vary it a little by taking a bit step back (or a big step forward- back is better) so you are almost on bended knee, like you're about to propose, with one arm up, one on hip or front leg, and look up at hand that is up.

oh so much harder without being able to show someone in the flesh!:)

gwinity

If you're comfy with the 'one arm up, other on hip', you can vary it a little by taking a bit step back (or a big step forward- back is better) so you are almost on bended knee, like you're about to propose, with one arm up, one on hip or front leg, and look up at hand that is up.

Yes, if you're comfortable with one-arm-up, then this is the perfect way to exagggerate it! Head back, chest out, arms strong! We had a similar finale to a piece we were learning, too, and I kept striking that very same pose (of course with such a wide stance, my back foot did keep tripping the girl behing me, so be aware of the space around you) :D

Scimitar_Moon

Ok how's this one:

Left arm up to your chest, elbow bent, hand over the heart (but not touching). Right arm extended in front of you, like you're reaching out for something (but gracefully). Your body weight is on the left leg, right leg is forward, foot pointing.

If that's too confusing let me know and I'll try to draw it or find a picture.

Good luck!

~Elena

Rebecca_

Ok how's this one:

Left arm up to your chest, elbow bent, hand over the heart (but not touching). Right arm extended in front of you, like you're reaching out for something (but gracefully). Your body weight is on the left leg, right leg is forward, foot pointing.

If that's too confusing let me know and I'll try to draw it or find a picture.

Good luck!

~Elena

I like that one! I might use it myself.

Mouse

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I've been running through them over and over just trying them all out.

This one is a firm favourite so far though as I seem to be able to flow into it fairly well. The others will just take more practice I think - or hope!

Lisa

Yshka

I'm usually not into the one arm up one arm down thing but this one sounds good, will try (many times I end up in the one-up-one-down pose anyway lol).

I kind of like to put one arm up but leave the other somewhere halfway or streched to the side, or both arms up/down.
I do like the one-up-one-down thing while sitting down or kneeling (as some suggested here).

Been trying the others as well. Some came out pretty nice.

Lisa, please do show us what your pose looked like;)

Mouse

I still haven't finalized my idea on the pose yet. Well I thought I had, but my feet and balance had other ideas *lol* I think my biggest problems are the speed that I have to get into the pose and that and it follows a quick turn - my brain and balance don't get a chance to kick in :eek:

Its still a work in progress but will let you guys know how it ends up when I finally get it sorted.

nisha

We did a finale for a show few weeks ago and we all had to do diff poses! weird.

there were 4 of us, 2 stood straight and 2 went down on floor framing others,I looked away to my right eyes down and sad and other bent over in a lean. It looked gorge! feathers fell,it was magical! we had ferather fans in our hands.