Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's talk combinations

I just went to a Workshop on Combinations> I was expecting to learn some twiddly bits and fit things to music.

what i got was how to recognise Maksoum and then a couple of simple combos in the 4 of this 4 of that style and how you could fit them to any music with maksoum rythmn.

I then had to invent my own "combination" 4 of this 4 of that style to a steady drum beat track. I couldn't do it!! And I loathe counted routines with a passion.

Am i out of step?? What do combinations mean to you. do you find this a useful concept!!

PS I booked myself into a Level 2 workshop on the grounds that if level 4 is professional, I have a long way to go before that!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I just went to a Workshop on Combinations> I was expecting to learn some twiddly bits and fit things to music.

what i got was how to recognise Maksoum and then a couple of simple combos in the 4 of this 4 of that style and how you could fit them to any music with maksoum rythmn.

I then had to invent my own "combination" 4 of this 4 of that style to a steady drum beat track. I couldn't do it!! And I loathe counted routines with a passion.

Am i out of step?? What do combinations mean to you. do you find this a useful concept!!

PS I booked myself into a Level 2 workshop on the grounds that if level 4 is professional, I have a long way to go before that!!!!
    I have found combinations mean different things to different teachers. Aisha Azar calls combinations phrasing and teaches how different Egyptian dancers (Mona, Fifi etc) have used three or more steps or movements together and/or layered.

Other combination classes I have taken usually are just steps or movements strung together that the instructor had decided fit together really well. I concluded that they were kind of like a 30 second choreography.

Using Aisha's curriculum it is easy to create combinations between or within movement families. Out of the 10 fundamentals choose one movement or step from three different families or three variations of a movement from within the same movement group and you are on your way. Walking is always available for a transition.

Until recently I did this without really thinking about it but have played around with it and have had a lot of fun and success.

Of course fitting the movements to the music may require some adapting of which steps or movements are used.

four of this and four of that may just be a teaching technique, certainly you are not required to be symmetrical when you perform.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Well this was 4 in place, 4 travelling. 4 of either and 4 of transition step to get your other foot free.
    That was IT!!!
    That for me is baby beginner dancing - although, I know that a lot of people who rate themselves as Egyptian dancers dance like that I DO NOT!!!

Over half the workshop was put together your own random set of steps!

I see this sounds somewhat similar to A'isha but I don't think so

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I then had to invent my own "combination" 4 of this 4 of that style to a steady drum beat track. I couldn't do it!!
    Can I ask you why not? What was it about this that you couldn't do?

Post Thanks / Like

good question I have been asking myself if this is something I should be able to>

I did not have music - I did not have mood. It was just a question of putting together random movements with no reason to choose one over the other.

Now I am beginning to think that perhaps looking at choreo would help me in improv - but always with the view of what could I dance to this music

Post Thanks / Like

I think of combination workshops same as Marya:
    steps or movements strung together that the instructor had decided fit together really well. I concluded that they were kind of like a 30 second choreography.
    ...which isn't my thing cos I can't remember. I would go to A'isha's version like a shot though, that sounds intriguingly techniquey and a lot of fun.

The only point of that 4-4-4 exercise I can see is to reinforce the idea of getting your feet/weight in the right place for the next step. I know I don't think that hard if I'm improvising - I suppose I rely on muscle memory from class. And choreographing I just thrash it out till it works.

Now I am beginning to think that perhaps looking at choreo would help me in improv - but always with the view of what could I dance to this music
    Doing lots of class choreographies have helped me I'm sure. It has put movements in context with music and what comes next and I feel like I'm learning about the intent and flow and phrasing along with the plain ol' "moves", if that makes any sense. Doing my own choreography reinforces it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only taken one workshop so far which was specifically about combinations - it was with Aziza and concentrated on travilling steps. She taught little sets of two or three elements put together and I found it really helpful. It made me see how you can make your entrances/exits/travelling on the stage more varied. It doesn't have to be 32 beats of the same kind of elements, it can be a lot more fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's more what i was expecting. I didn't need to pay out to travel to London, plus workshop fees to be told to put my habitual moves together!!!!!!!!!!!!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

good question I have been asking myself if this is something I should be able to>

I did not have music - I did not have mood. It was just a question of putting together random movements with no reason to choose one over the other.

You didn't have music...what nothing? What were you doing the combos to, drum patterns? Or nothing at all?

Post Thanks / Like

A steady track of maksoum rythmn................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast