Opinions on video please...

kayshier

I didn't think this thread would have gotten the dance instructor involved but who could have asked for a better explanation of the videos!

thank you very much Ranya!

Mya

Thanks for chiming in Ranya :) I'm very excited about getting your baladi dvd and now i look forward to buying the others.

Nabila Nazem

Kudos to you, Kayshier, for being skeptical about the veracity of some claims; there are many self-proclaimed "experts" out there who make some pretty lofty assertions about what they know, without the research to back it up. More dancers should employ your healthy skepticism!

Ranya, however, is someone who is really impressive on the personal research front. I've been in workshops with her from time to time, and seen the kind of lengths she goes to when presenting information. She not only goes to the source (the teachers, the countries, the musicians, the language) and then brings back first-hand learning and observation, she often brings the source to us; we get to learn from the musicians themselves too in workshops where (for example) we get to dissect the various components of a piece of music and learn how to use it. We aren't just given information that we take at face value, we have a chance to ask the questions ourselves and have real dialogue.

The added bonus is that while Ranya is very serious about her scholarship and research, she's not sanctimonious or stuffy about it, remaining relaxed and down-to-earth.

I'm not one to lavish praise, but in this case, it's well-deserved!

Mya

Does anyone else think that the posture section of this dvd is absolutely wacky??

Not in a bad way, i thought it made it down to earth and nice in a way....but still wacky!!

Jane

I really liked the posture section. I thought it got the point across well and was a hoot! :lol: If it hadn't been as entertaining, it would have gotten a bit tedious. I just finished the first disk and I think these vids nicely fill a gap in my library collection.

nightdancer

I have the 2 disc set as well, and have pre-ordered another. They are great because she teaches like she's in a workshop, not like she is performing. I am looking forward to the new disc.

Oh, also, I love her hair. I have always wanted hair like that.

Mya

i've finished looking at disc one and have moved on to two (looking, not studying!) she is just a doll and finally my mother believes that you don't need to look like Didem to be an astoundingly beautiful bellydancer.

She's now on my list of instructors to work with (hey a girl can dream right?) :D

kayshier

i am going to purchase the dvds by the end of this month, with all the rave reviews i've been reading i cannot wait!

RanyaRenee

hahaha Maria.... The Baladi: The Sequel will be 10 hours long and will cost US$100 per copy. Order yours today! :dance:

Thanks everyone for your feedback, glad you are enjoying the dvds!

Hey, question: This is kind of off-topic, kind of..... I will soon record the rest of the Classical Oriental dvd (filming was delayed a bit by my apartment building fire and moving...but it is coming together), and I plan to work with improvisational skills and staging for "Golden Age" style dance. I'd like to hear feedback from those of you who have used my other dvds, in terms of what worked for you and what you'd like more of. Specifically, I'm thinking of creating some more loop drills like the ones on the Baladi, and some other flows and floor-pattern drills, along with movement linking for "old-school" movements, to aid in improvisation using a classic vocabulary.

We may be filming the dance instructional portion in a nicely-lit theater, instead of in the mirrored dance studio, depends on space availability and the concept as I'm finalizing that. Is a change of setting going to bug anyone, or would it inspire you in a different way?

I appreciate your feedback either here or to ranya@ranya.net.

Thanks and happy dancing!!!!

Marya

hahaha Maria.... The Baladi: The Sequel will be 10 hours long and will cost US$100 per copy. Order yours today! :dance:

We may be filming the dance instructional portion in a nicely-lit theater, instead of in the mirrored dance studio, depends on space availability and the concept as I'm finalizing that. Is a change of setting going to bug anyone, or would it inspire you in a different way?

I appreciate your feedback either here or to ranya@ranya.net.

Thanks and happy dancing!!!!

Ranya,

I really like the mirrored studio because the mirrors allow me to see front and back of the movement. It is much easier that way to learn the movement and to not get mixed up as to direction and right and left sides. Your other DVDs use the mirror very effectively and I think the way they are filmed is the best way. Not many instructional DVDs utilize mirrors at all and I much prefer the ones that do.

If you do use the theater, film from more than one direction: front, back, side etc.

Marya

Ariella

I also prefer the mirrored studio. It's more like taking an actual class in a studio where I can see both sides of the instructor. If you do end up filming in a theater, can film yourself from both sides?

To the forum: I ordered the Baladi DVD yesterday. I'm having a bunch of dance friends over to watch it, I'll report back!

Mya

i actually think that the theatre would inspire me differently and even if just in my imagination give me that old school vibe but i concur that i would like to see footage from behind as well in such a case.

Ranya

This isn't something I'm telling but wondering aloud... I've long heard that Reda style is really it's own 'thing'. It sounded like she was saying, sharqi was done in such a way in the past, and that Reda changed the face of how it is presently done, across the board. I had been under the impression that while his work has many followers and company members that carried it on and so forth it is really its own stylization. Can anyone add or subtract to that?

I absolutely agree on that. Although Reda has a big influence on many dancers, pure "Reda" is 100% a thing on its own. And alhtough many people claim now to be "Reda-inspired", there are many dancers who do not have traces of Reda's style at all, even here in Cairo.
I have trained with the Reda Troupe here in Cairo for 6 months, and the teachers there were very eager to stress the specificity of Reda's style when compared to others that exist at the dance scene nowadays.

Ariella

This DVD came in a couple of days ago. I've got to say, it's exceptional! I'm with Maria, I'd like a 10 hour long Ranya Renee DVD.