Zills

Alyssa

There is a definite consensus around where I dance, but I want to know if you all agree.

To be a professional belly dancer it is neccessary to play zills. If you don't use another prop (i.e. trays, candles, swords, snakes, etc) it is unnacceptable.

I am currently struggling on the zill front so what is your opinion?

Aisha Azar

Fnger cymbals, sagat, zill

There is a definite consensus around where I dance, but I want to know if you all agree.

To be a professional belly dancer it is neccessary to play zills. If you don't use another prop (i.e. trays, candles, swords, snakes, etc) it is unnacceptable.

Dear Alyssa,
In order to be a well rounded dancer, you should know how to play finger cymbals. Many dancers in countries of origin do not play them for belly dance necessarily, but they usually do know how to play them for a beledi segment in the music, or for other types of dance within the larger performance, such as a Saidi segment. Let's put it this way. Without knowing how to play at least a few simple rhythms on the cymbals, you will be a less skilled dancer as well, since beating out those rhythms on the cymbals can teach you a lot about how rhythm works in the dance. Frankly, many native dancers are not officianados the way some western dancers are, but most of them are expected to play cymbals during their dancer shows at some point.
they are hard to play at first, but practice every day for 10 minutes and I expect you will see some improvement. It took me about a week to begin to get it following this regimen every day when I first started dancing.
Regards,
A'isha

Alyssa

Thank you! This is almost the same thing my teacher, Kanina, says. I appreciate your encouragement.:D

ita that its really important to learn to zill.
you don't have to do it every time you perform, but certain venues and audiences will expect it so its important to have in your skill set.

also, it is an important part of the fundamentals imo.

Jane

The things that take the longest to master are usually what you end up liking the most! Keep up the zilling 'cause everyone you meet will ask you, "belly dancer! So do you play those little things?"
;):yay:

Kharis

I used to play them regularly but quite frankly, they bore me and the elastic hurt my fingers! I do not believe its a prerequisite to play zills in order to be a professional dancer, anymore than you must be young, slim and gorgeous. In fact, no prop in the world will make you a better dancer. I've used them all... veil, shamadan, stick, sword, zills, wings, veil fans, poi blah blah. They all add interest, but only in the way that a dazzling costume adds interest. After a couple of minutes, the novelty wears off, and if the dancing is not up to scratch, nothing will save it, no prop in the world no matter how adroitly used.

So, please don't fret about this. If you can't master them, drop them, it doesn't really matter.

Mya

I love zils. LOVE them. I still suck at them though. For me they're a bit different than other props because they let you play with the music and be a part of the music even while you dance.

I don't think it's a prerequisite, but i definitely think it adds something to your dance that for me is far more down to earth than a sword or veil or wings.

Alyssa

Thank you ladies for the input. Everyone seems to think zills are positive so I am practicing away.....and improving if I may say so myself.:D

Farasha Hanem

One of my problems is we live in an apartment, and my husband freaks if we "get too noisy." My other problem is that my daughter works overnights, so even with Hubby out of the house, I can't zill without waking up the daughter. And I want to become better myself so much. :(

Mya

Baby socks Farasha...make zil mufflers with wee little baby socks and you're zils get very muted - you can still hear them, but they won't disturb other people.

kayshier

i think learning how to play zills helps in understanding the music and rhythms better..in addition to strengthening the wrists and adding dexterity to the fingers.
i too struggled at first when i started learning, but i think what helped me to learn quickly was my musical ear..my problem is dancing while playing..

i can walk while playing, but when i start to dance i mess up. at least now i can do hip drops while playing. :lol:

considering that i don't have a live teacher anymore to teach me, becuase that was how i started to learn, i ended up having to purchase a dvd. what i found helpful in the dvd, was hitting out the rhythmic pattens with your hands on your belly so that your body gets a feel of the rhythm.

but just continue practicing and you will master it. I have definitely seen improvement since i started learning how to play zills. it's the only prop besides the cane that i really enjoy looking at.

Kashmir

If where you are this is a requirement - then you'll either have to move or knuckle down ;) A little practice often is best I think. Stop once you can no longer get it right. At the other end do push yourself out of your comfort zone - otherwise progress will be very slow.

Viv

Not that I've been around much lately but here's my two cents worth.
I have known a few dancers that play lovely zills when they dance, pros and hobbiests alike. I don't think you have to play to be a pro but you should at least understand the basics.
I've also known a few that are amazing zill players so long as they aren't moving. Ask them to move and play? Bad idea. I think everyone should learn the basics of zills, but keep in mind some of us are wired to play in the orchestra, not the marching band. Either way, if you want to learn to play, practice, practice, practice.

Bellydeluxe

This question is very interesting because in the USA, there's always been a tradition of dancer-musician...if you don't play the drums and the zills, you're not a dancer. It seems to be different in Europe where zills are not that popular and when you reach Cairo, I've been told that zills are linked with Ghawazy = unrespectful women so dancers like Randa or Dina would never play them because it would mean that they would be looked down...

I'm based in France but often travel in England and so far the excuses for not playing zills I have heard are :
-it's not fashionable
-it's not class
-it's too noisy
-it's annoying

Personnaly I love them and try to encourage people to play them.

Now Tribal is getting bigger over here so people are more interested but the problem is the teaching...most teachers who dare teaching them have no method and the result is pretty disastrous.:rolleyes:

Caroline_afifi

This question is very interesting because in the USA, there's always been a tradition of dancer-musician...if you don't play the drums and the zills, you're not a dancer. It seems to be different in Europe where zills are not that popular and when you reach Cairo, I've been told that zills are linked with Ghawazy = unrespectful women so dancers like Randa or Dina would never play them because it would mean that they would be looked down...

I'm based in France but often travel in England and so far the excuses for not playing zills I have heard are :
-it's not fashionable
-it's not class
-it's too noisy
-it's annoying

Personnaly I love them and try to encourage people to play them.

Now Tribal is getting bigger over here so people are more interested but the problem is the teaching...most teachers who dare teaching them have no method and the result is pretty disastrous.:rolleyes:

well I do personally find them noisy and annoying! :lol:
A zill class is my idea of hell..

I leaned in the early years and drove myself nuts with the clanking.

I used them once or twice in performance with a live band before I realised nobody could hear them anyway.

I stage manage events and have to go over this time and time again with dancers who want to use them as a feature. Whilst they may annoy your neighbours at home, they mean nothing on a big stage with music, it is like talking with no microphone, just your lips moving.

I saw Camelia use them once in a Shamadan section on a boat and that was OK but I have never seen them used in Cairo otherwise in Raqs Sharqi pieces.
It certainly isnt as popular in live performance as it used to be.

I think it is more en vogue in Turkey? :think:

Kharis

well I do personally find them noisy and annoying! :lol:
A zill class is my idea of hell..

I leaned in the early years and drove myself nuts with the clanking.

I used them once or twice in performance with a live band before I realised nobody could hear them anyway.

I stage manage events and have to go over this time and time again with dancers who want to use them as a feature. Whilst they may annoy your neighbours at home, they mean nothing on a big stage with music, it is like talking with no microphone, just your lips moving.

I saw Camelia use them once in a Shamadan section on a boat and that was OK but I have never seen them used in Cairo otherwise in Raqs Sharqi pieces.
It certainly isnt as popular in live performance as it used to be.

I think it is more en vogue in Turkey? :think:

Thank God it's not only me who finds them annoying, and boring too. I saw a dancer use them in Cairo many years ago, but you couldn't hear them at all, so she could have been playing anything, and she only used them very briefly. Turkish dancers use them nearly all the time, and I've been travelling to Turkey for nearly 20 years, and all the dancers I saw used them. They tend to use the great big heavy ones which are the only ones you can actually hear, especially outside.

Farasha Hanem

I love zils. LOVE them. I still suck at them though. For me they're a bit different than other props because they let you play with the music and be a part of the music even while you dance.

I don't think it's a prerequisite, but i definitely think it adds something to your dance that for me is far more down to earth than a sword or veil or wings.

Thank you so much for the tip, Mya! I'll buy a pair of baby socks and try it! :D *hugs you!*

I just hope I don't get any funny looks from Hubby when I come home with a pair of baby socks... Oo;;