Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 600% with Shira on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

omg..chill people..

most of the dancers were in a different class to us and had practiced for weeks beforehand and had performed before on many an occasion....they were very very good imo....although the tv man didnt want us to do the set routine, we all still managed to do it in the evening.. the tv time we had was to tell people we were going to be in town and to come and see us all and to give us money for comic relief..
    in the evening we all went round the pubs dancing the set routine.

our class joined in with them and did a slightly different dance at the back..

it was said that we were all students from the college,,,,,not professionals. we never ever claimed to be professional belly dancers.

and i dont care if anyone runs what we did down...i enjoyed it, the rest of the gang enjoyed it and the people that gave us money enjoyed it. and most importantly......we raised money for comic relief

Post Thanks / Like

siany, the Comic Relief program isn't something that people in the US are familiar with so it isn't likely that the context of your performance would be understood. Think of it as a cultural lapse. On the other hand if you know of any place online where a video of your performance can be seen I would love a link to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siany711 View Post
    omg..chill people..

most of the dancers were in a different class to us and had practiced for weeks beforehand and had performed before on many an occasion....they were very very good imo....although the tv man didnt want us to do the set routine, we all still managed to do it in the evening.. the tv time we had was to tell people we were going to be in town and to come and see us all and to give us money for comic relief..
    in the evening we all went round the pubs dancing the set routine.

our class joined in with them and did a slightly different dance at the back..

it was said that we were all students from the college,,,,,not professionals. we never ever claimed to be professional belly dancers.

and i dont care if anyone runs what we did down...i enjoyed it, the rest of the gang enjoyed it and the people that gave us money enjoyed it. and most importantly......we raised money for comic relief

Post Thanks / Like

I just moved this from costumes to performance. Carry on the discussion. Shanazel

Post Thanks / Like

I have one question? what the heck is 'slave jewellery"?

Post Thanks / Like

Rings and a bracelet connected by chains.

I've never decided whether I think it is sorta pretty, pretty tacky, or suited mainly to fetishism, but I hate the term "slave jewelery" so much that I'd never wear a piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Rings and a bracelet connected by chains.

I've never decided whether I think it is sorta pretty, pretty tacky, or suited mainly to fetishism, but I hate the term "slave jewelery" so much that I'd never wear a piece.
    I don't mind the stuff but I too object to the term with its' connotations and I always thought it to be Indian rather than Middle Eastern. But I assume that the Indian gals who adorn themselves with expensive gold versions don't think of themselves as either tacky or slavish
    Last edited by lizaj; 03-20-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: in case irony didn't translate!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it called slave jewelry in India, or something else?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lovely, low-key one.

I've heard they are called "slave bracelets" because the ring is a "slave" to the bracelet (after all, it's chained to it!). I have no idea if that's true or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast