Shimmies in high heels?

eden eyes

I normally dance barefoot, but i was curious:

when wearing high heels (2-3" not the giant ones), is executing certain moves easier than barefoot? i know for a fact that some moves are easier barefoot. in particular, i finally learned to do the choochoo shimmy without pounding the floor and shaking my shoulders, but would it be easier to choochoo with professional dance shoes (like ballroom shoes with the soft sole) on a dance floor considering you can slide easier? in this case, would it be better to dance with heels on a dance floor rather than barefoot?

just an epiphany that i'm sure you ladies can answer. i think i will bring my heels with me to my class so i can practice with them before my students get there :)

Kharis

I normally dance barefoot, but i was curious:

when wearing high heels (2-3" not the giant ones), is executing certain moves easier than barefoot? i know for a fact that some moves are easier barefoot. in particular, i finally learned to do the choochoo shimmy without pounding the floor and shaking my shoulders, but would it be easier to choochoo with professional dance shoes (like ballroom shoes with the soft sole) on a dance floor considering you can slide easier? in this case, would it be better to dance with heels on a dance floor rather than barefoot?

just an epiphany that i'm sure you ladies can answer. i think i will bring my heels with me to my class so i can practice with them before my students get there :)

Wearing heels alters your centre of gravity. This causes the body to try and adjust, so it brings certain muscles into play to compensate for that... I do feel you'd need to rehearse in heels before you actually performed, to enable your body to adjust to this difference in stance and posture. Also, heels can limit your dancing to some extent, and you are obviously not so grounded. I've danced in heels but prefer flat feet. I found heels inhibiting and too precarious for my liking, even low heels interfered with my ability to 'feel' the movements. Sounds odd, but this was how it felt to me. Always make sure you purchase dance shoes because not only do they have a soft sole option, but the shanks are generally reinforced.

eden eyes

i used to work at a dance studio, so i have pro dance shoes, which i looove.

and i just tried dancing in heels yesterday and i loved it! and you're right, it was different anatomically. my calves got the better workout. also, i found that some moves were easier, like spins and choochoo (as i predicted) but i felt like some of my movements were limited. i also found that slipping is a wee bit easier :shok:

any way, thanks for the heads up!

Kharis

i used to work at a dance studio, so i have pro dance shoes, which i looove.

and i just tried dancing in heels yesterday and i loved it! and you're right, it was different anatomically. my calves got the better workout. also, i found that some moves were easier, like spins and choochoo (as i predicted) but i felt like some of my movements were limited. i also found that slipping is a wee bit easier :shok:

any way, thanks for the heads up!

Slipping is a common problem specially when you don't know for sure what the surface of the floor is gonna be like. Powdered rosin is handy to keep in your dance bag, just in case, but it's most likely rare you'll have to use it in restaurants, judging from the sticky states of most restaurant flooring. Another anti skid tip used by dancers is Coke, the non diet type. The sugar helps keep the shoes from slipping...so i guess any sweet drink would do it.

eden eyes

wow i never heard of using coke. does it make the soles super sticky to where you can't slide easily or does it make it "just right"?

thanks for the tip

Kharis

wow i never heard of using coke. does it make the soles super sticky to where you can't slide easily or does it make it "just right"?

thanks for the tip

it's used as a last measure, when there's nothing else. I've had to use it twice, and found it either too sticky or not enough, so not ideal. Rosin is the best thing, though it won't stop you slipping on a banana skin or a bit of dropped hummus....:lol:

eden eyes

haha mmmmmm hummus!

what kind of jerk throws a banana peel on the dance floor ;)

thanks for all the tips and stuff Kharis

Tezirah

Much easier to shimmy in heels, can also go right down to the ground doing figure eights etc and not fall over (able to balance on heels). Unfortunately, I can't do much else in them without wobbling, so it's flats or barefoot for me.

nitewindz

I've tried dancing in heels, but I just feel soooo awkward!

My first teachers taught me to dance on my toes, the heel never touched the ground. I was surprised and thrilled the first time I studied Egyptian style where I could put my foot flat on the floor - it felt so natural and earthy!

But trying to dance in heels, well... I feel that I loose the flexibility of positioning my heel relative to the floor. When barefoot or in flats, my heel can be on the ground, or I can be all the way up on tip toe. In heels, the heel of my foot can only get as close to the ground as the heel of the shoe.. and it's harder to get higher on tippy toe.

When I was in Turkey the dancers wore PLATFORMS with heels!!

But when I swing dance with hubby, I wear character shoes with heels.