Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have been a dork, but I didn't feel like one. I learned fast, the vocabulary came very naturally to me, and I was so happy to be dancing that I didn't take time to examine myself for incipient dork tendencies. As a teacher, I keep an eye out for self-perceived (or do I mean self-deceived?) dorks and make sure to give them extra encouragement and something to concentrate on other than momentary dorkiness.

Get thee to a teacher, Meowymer. You wouldn't try to learn ballet from videos, would you?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I felt like a dork - but I was very insecure about my body and I thought I wouldn't be able to get the flexibility that belly dancing required. However, I've been dancing for some time, too: I had some lessons in ballroom and tap, and I pick up steps quickly. For belly dancing, I thought my body would - well, flounder.

I'm still getting frustrated with myself, though, sometimes, because I so want to dance some steps but my body doesn't. Well, it will take some more time and patience...

In the meantime, I'm practicing and still loving every minute of it!

Post Thanks / Like

I never did in class . I was just so wrapped up in trying to get something right and the music and the joy of it.
    Oh but oh I did when I saw myself on film and when I want to 2flagellate my back" and watch the early (and some later) outings again

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I did, I think I was too young to feel any self confidence worries, then again I cant really remember...

However, I do feel like a dork when I think I have got a move down and then my teacher pops over and tells me actually I need to shift my weight onto this leg and collect the feet and I'm not quite isolating the movement properly.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza Aradia View Post
    I dont think I did, I think I was too young to feel any self confidence worries, then again I cant really remember...

However, I do feel like a dork when I think I have got a move down and then my teacher pops over and tells me actually I need to shift my weight onto this leg and collect the feet and I'm not quite isolating the movement properly.....
    That is the *worst*! I mean, it's awesome, that's why I'm in class, but I always feel a bit embarrassed when that happens.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I never did in class . I was just so wrapped up in trying to get something right and the music and the joy of it.
    Oh but oh I did when I saw myself on film and when I want to 2flagellate my back" and watch the early (and some later) outings again
    hahahaaha.. who hasn't had that 'Bridget Jones sliding down the fireman's pole on video' moment?

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started, 12 weeks ago, I was so confused at what i was doing. Still am i confused sometimes, especially when doing choreography. Trying to go from doing one thing to another and how my feet are supposed to be. Sometimes I think I have 2 left feet. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm..

Yes, I did. I was testing the waters of dance again after years of being away from it. ( I took modern dance my sophmore year in highschool and then 4 years later took ballet in college)

I felt akward..i was very used to the more ..dare i say 'STIFF' or "STRICT" dances.

it was strange and I was not very good at first. Shimmies came natural to me but everything else was..'what?!'

and because of my up bringing i was too shy to go shaking things all over the place!

So yes i would think most peoples first belly dance class would feel dorky for one reason or another.

but Now its my favorite thing to do! and as you move to new stages in dance you feel akward all over again. happens with new stuff. lol

as for the sexiness in dance goes...
    I feel that practicing and and geting technic down gives you more confidance in your dancing and confedance is a good kinda sexy! you dont need to try to be sexy it will come with time!

Ruby~<3

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza Aradia View Post

I certainly felt like a dork in class last week when my teacher came over to correct my moves, and found out that the reason why I was dancing "funny" was because I was trying to hide my falsie that had fallen out of my bra onto the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to go to poledance classes and remeber very well the Bridget-Jones-down-the-fireman's-pole feeling. Gah, but isn't that the name for it!!

I've been trying to teach myself via YouTube lessons. I realise that a teacher is going to be able to give far better advice as it's tailored to the individual(s), but I'm a bit short at the moment. Aren't we all?

I'd like to go for classes, though. I've also been trying to save up the money to go to burlesque classes, but that's still a while off yet. I'm thinking, though, that surely I can learn a bit about moves from the YouTube talkthroughs, as I'm a slow learner with physical arts like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast