male Turkish Oriental

Caroline_afifi

I know the 'embers' of the other thread are still warm, but does anyone have info about professional male dancing in Turkey?

Do they have their own version of Tito?

How does the scene compare there to Egypt for men?

Zadiel

Hey Caroline.
Fortunately i was born and grow up in Germany :) but i have some contacts to turkish male bellydancer in turkey and normaly i fly every year to turkey for holiday.

No, i think they dont have a compare to Tito in turkey. The male bellydancer dancing only in touristik places along the south coust.

... and in my opinion not really professional more for tourist entertainment.

In turkey they dont have professional eduction in oriental dance only in big citys like istanbul and anakara but by the way not compareable with germany or europe or other countrys.

Caroline_afifi

Hey Caroline.
Fortunately i was born and grow up in Germany :) but i have some contacts to turkish male bellydancer in turkey and normaly i fly every year to turkey for holiday.

No, i think they dont have a compare to Tito in turkey. The male bellydancer dancing only in touristik places along the south coust.

... and in my opinion not really professional more for tourist entertainment.

In turkey they dont have professional eduction in oriental dance only in big citys like istanbul and anakara but by the way not compareable with germany or europe or other countrys.

Thanks for that!

So are there no male 'stars' to speak of within Turkey?

I am just wondering if Tito is a first in the entire Middle East?

So is mens belly dancing a tradition in Turkey in general as in social dance?

and do men perform as belly dancers in tourist areas?

I also saw a clip of Ozgen on Turkish TV as a backing dancer for a singer.

YouTube - Male dancer - Ozgen on Turkish TV

I guess this is more traditional style than belly dancing.

Zadiel

So are there no male 'stars' to speak of within Turkey?

Hmm... not in turkey i guess. The male turkish bellydance "stars" live outside of turkey like in europe. The monay and the conditions are not compareable with our fee for dance and workshops...

One male Bellydancer from germany, his name is Prince Erkan Serce, live in cologne and work in the sumertime at the halikarnas club in bodrum.
Now he did'nt work there anymore and they ask me. But for that fee i'm not interested.

I am just wondering if Tito is a first in the entire Middle East?

Hm i dont know... in turkey nobody know tito i guess.

So is mens belly dancing a tradition in Turkey in general as in social dance?

Maybe im wrong, so i cant answer on that.

and do men perform as belly dancers in tourist areas?

Yes o course a lot!!! :)

I also saw a clip of Ozgen on Turkish TV as a backing dancer for a singer.

YouTube - Male dancer - Ozgen on Turkish TV

I guess this is more traditional style than belly dancing.

Hmm this is not really bellydance what Özgen there danced. Looks like more modern, jazz mixed with folk dances / roman, gypsy ...

Marya

Caroline,

there are a number of males who dance in Turkey but not Oriental dance. I am thinking of Sultans of the Dance here.

Here in the US there is a huge folk dance community (with some native instructors from other countries, including Turkey). I love Turkish folk dances.

In the US there are a few Turkish (natives) folk dancers who organize trips to Turkey for dance camps, tours etc. They usually include some Turkish Oriental in the Dance camp as well as BD from other styles.

Then there are the Turkish Roma, both men and women dance but usually not professionally. I also would not call this BD.

Marya

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

Thanks everyone.. So I guess the answer is No.

This does surprise me a little as Turkey seems a little more open (on the surface).

lizaj

Thanks everyone.. So I guess the answer is No.

This does surprise me a little as Turkey seems a little more open (on the surface).
Each time I have been to Turkey, I have seen male belly dancers but as had been said this is in tourist destintions. They were good dancers but to my eyes more Egyptian than Turkish in style!

Yes like zadiel says big names of Male Turkish Bellydancers not living in Turkey :(( Because of fee or other conditions...
There is some good tradational/gypsy male dancers in Turkey(Like Ahmet)But they don't dance Bellydance.
Yes in Turkey they don't know about Tito :((
I like both style!!! Egyptian and Turkish style.

Thats it for the moment.
if I can do something for you just let me know.OK?

Greetings.

Serkan.
serkan.be
dedanstent.com
Sultans of Raqs| Male Oriental Dance Group| Male Bellydance| Belly Dancer| Middle Eastern Dance Arts