Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello From The Middle Of Nowhere!

Hi, I`m Oresai. I live on a small Orkney island in the UK. I`ve been self teaching myself bellydancing for just over a year, and oh boy, still have a loooong way to go!
    There are no other dancers anywhere near me and even though I`ve tried to get a group going here on island, nobody is interested, so it`s just me..and I crave contact with other dancers!
    My main sources of learning have been dvd`s...I just got Blanca`s Sensual Dance and love it! and Youtube videos and online sites. I would love to study under a teacher but given my location it just isn`t possible.
    So I`m hoping to get to know folks here and learn as I go along too.
    Oh, I`m also 47 years old and pretty short for a dancer I guess, at five foot nothing tall.
    I`m fairly fit at the moment, but am really interested in any other mature ladies who dance and how they cope with things like the more frantic aspects of bellydance (without falling over, as I frequently do, hee )

Post Thanks / Like

welcome!

Oh my goodness... I cant believe Belly dance has reached the Orkney Islands!!

I have family originally from Shetland on my fathers side... it is a small place called Twatt.

I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Caroline! I`m actually Scots but have lived in Orkney for twenty years now. There`s a Twatt on mainland Orkney too...the signpost for it keeps getting stolen by tourists
    I haven`t heard of any other Orcadian bellydancers here, which is a bit sad, but hope to make some new friends here. Have been looking around the posts and already learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Convert other girls and also go for the occasional trip to the main (is)land to belly dance workshops and festivals in Scotland and why not even venture to England or Norway ??????? You have a great option there- they have a belly dancing scene too. See my other post
    Through NADA (Northern Arabic Dance Association) Welcome to NADA - Northern Arabic Dance Association you can make contact with dancers in our climes. There's a goodly few in the HIghlands.
    We have just had our AGM in Carlisle and the mauraders from Glasgow joined us
    Last edited by lizaj; 03-20-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

PS I don't do frantic!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for the welcome, info and links, Lisa I have a blog where I put out tentative feelers for any other women wanting to learn alongside me. Didn`t get anything back though, Maybe I should be persistent and keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    Hi Caroline! I`m actually Scots but have lived in Orkney for twenty years now. There`s a Twatt on mainland Orkney too...the signpost for it keeps getting stolen by tourists
    I haven`t heard of any other Orcadian bellydancers here, which is a bit sad, but hope to make some new friends here. Have been looking around the posts and already learning.
    So there are Twatt faces in many places! OOOH..

At my dad's funeral the vicar refused to say that my dad's family was from Twatt.

I was so mad, he was very proud of his Twatt roots.

Post Thanks / Like

There are pics of tourists on Flickr, I think, proudly posing beside the signpost
    Mind you, Twatt is more cheerful than some of this isle`s names....Hell, Purgatory and Gallowhill....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum and bellydance Keep trying to get some ladies to join you, don't give up, sometimes it takes a bit of persuading to 'convince' folk to give things a go!

As for the place names ... WOW! there must be some strange history behind those names
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    There are pics of tourists on Flickr, I think, proudly posing beside the signpost
    Mind you, Twatt is more cheerful than some of this isle`s names....Hell, Purgatory and Gallowhill....
    You mean there is a postal address called Hell???

Yes, like Mosaic said.. there has to be some interesting history around these names.

Is Orkney part of Scotland by any chance or is it independant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast