Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Hell exists and it`s on a wee island called Sanday, in the Orkney Isles
    But we also have many names from when the Norse viking settlers were here, like Odinshof, Warsettr and the like. There`s a huge viking legacy here. Politically, Orkney`s part of Scotland, but culturally it`s anything but and `belongs`, really, to Norway in so many ways. Many Orcadians actually get insulted if you equate Orkney as part of Scotland, others though don`t mind.
    Interesting placenames are par for the course in Orkney. My own home is called Over The Water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    Yup, Hell exists and it`s on a wee island called Sanday, in the Orkney Isles
    Probably was known as 'Hell on Sunday!'

But we also have many names from when the Norse viking settlers were here, like Odinshof, Warsettr and the like. There`s a huge viking legacy here. Politically, Orkney`s part of Scotland, but culturally it`s anything but and `belongs`, really, to Norway in so many ways. Many Orcadians actually get insulted if you equate Orkney as part of Scotland, others though don`t mind.
    Yes, Like Shetland. It used to be Zetland and our family name was Dalziel.
    my brother looks very Norwegian.. we are a right group of mongrels!

Interesting placenames are par for the course in Orkney. My own home is called Over The Water.
    In Liverpool we have a place called 'over the water' it is the Wirral which is across the river Mersey.

What made you move there? do you like sheep??
    Last edited by Caroline_afifi; 03-20-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Funny you should mention sheep....
    I`m self employed, I tan sheepskins for a living. Really!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oresai View Post
    Ha! Funny you should mention sheep....
    I`m self employed, I tan sheepskins for a living. Really!
    well without drawing on stereotypes.... what else would you do on those islands!!

Post Thanks / Like

True, I`m too girly to be a fisherman or farmer

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere I have a picture of a highway sign that says "Hell" and there are icicles on it. I understand there are places in Michigan and Norway called Hell, but I grew up in south Texas and suspect the entrance to the real place is somewhere in that vicinity. Heaven knows it is hot enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our web community! You can find a lot of continuing education here. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

You might want to take a look at this article on my web site: Learning To Belly Dance: If No Local Teacher, Or Wanting More Knowledge - its purpose is to provide some guidance to dancers in isolated areas.

For that matter, spend a few hours prowling through my site All About Belly Dancing! Exploring The Art of Middle Eastern Dance! Learn About Belly Dance! in general - there's a lot of info on belly dancing there, including reviews of tons of instructional videos.

There's also the "Belly Dance Videos" group on Yahoo - see bellydancevideos : Belly Dancing Videos . It's a group with a laser-sharp focus on discussing videos related to belly dancing. I'm the moderator. If you apply to join it, just say that you're Oresaid from Oriental Dancer, and I'll approve you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Shira, wow, there`s a wealth of good info there!
    Great stuff, there isn`t enough around to help dancers in isolated areas, so the net is so useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12