Instructors from Venezuela

Nym

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know any good schools or instructors in Venezuela? (Specifically Caracas).

Mya

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know any good schools or instructors in Venezuela? (Specifically Caracas).

I've been looking for ages - haven't found any unless you're interested in Tribal Fusion. I've seen a few venezuelan instructors and their cabaret stuff seems to be very fantasy and not my cup of tea.

Good luck!

Nym

I was looking at a belly dancer called Kahina. She is the only one I have been able to see dance (on You Tube). What do you all think? I am not computer savvy, so I cannot send a link. I find that it is frustrating finding a good instructor in Trinidad. My first teacher was from Argentina, and she kind of set the standard for me. Help!!!:pray:

Mya

I'll search her on YouTube when i get home - i can't access it from the office. I felt the same way when i left the company that i used to learn/perform/teach with, but i got some good advice from A'isha here which was that in situations such as these where we don't have the opportunity to learn the specific style that we aim for - in our case Egyptian the next best bet is to learn as much as you can in the generic style that we have access to and then when the opportunity presents itself you can fine tune into egyptian. That way you don't frustrate yourself by completely stagnating in the meantime.

You can try one of Nneka Matthews classes - out of us all in Trinidad hers are the closest to Egyptian that you'll get. She says it's egyptian, but i'll say Egyptian influenced. She wasn't trained in Trinidad and has done workshops with Tarik and Morocco, Bozenka and others that i can't remember offhand. The problem is though that she doesn't stick to it all of the time, she delves off into fantasy and does fan veil and tribal/tribaret and all sorts of things in between. She teaches in the same studio as i do, but i think her classes are all at night. let me know if you would like her contact information.

Yshka

HI ladies,

I heard about a lady named Maria Jesús (if I'm correct) teaching in Venezuela from a friend who used to live there. I don't know where she teaches however and neither do I know if she is a good dancer/teacher. Might be worth looking up though.

Edit: AND, I just found this on this site!
Belly Dance Classes in Venezuela
there are quite a few based in Caracas and the Jesus lady is among them.

Good luck!

Last edited:

kayshier

I like Kahina, though her moves are very large and ballet-tic at some points, she has a nice presence on stage
i think it depends on what you are looking for in a teacher.
for me personally although i liked what i saw, i wouldn't go to her because her moves look a bit too mechanical for me....but that is ME.

Nym

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I may check out Nneka Matthews Mya. Yshka, will definitely take a look at Maria Jesus. Kayshier, I don't think I have many options at this point. How are things going with you? Thanks folks.