Where are the good belly dancing instructors

BDN

After two years I just wnt to scream. Todays class was the limit we had a kid running and screaming thru class instructor and the mother did nothing to control it. Ever hear of babysitters? And another thing we practice in our class on a routine for months and then anything that crawls can come into class and join in our performance when they don't even know the basics. Our instructor never use to allow these things what going on with the industry in Vancouver? Don't people care about the art thats why I got into it. :(.

Marya

After two years I just wnt to scream. Todays class was the limit we had a kid running and screaming thru class instructor and the mother did nothing to control it. Ever hear of babysitters? And another thing we practice in our class on a routine for months and then anything that crawls can come into class and join in our performance when they don't even know the basics. Our instructor never use to allow these things what going on with the industry in Vancouver? Don't people care about the art thats why I got into it. :(.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, very frustrating. Where are you located? Vancouver WA or Vancouver BC? in either of those locations there are lots of good teachers. I am sure you can find one to suit you.

Perhaps the instructor needs the money so is allowing students to join the class regardless of the situation?

Children can be disruptive, but sometimes they are not, maybe it was an experiment to see how it would work.

good luck.

Marya

BDN

Thank you for the response

Sounds like you had a bad experience, very frustrating. Where are you located? Vancouver WA or Vancouver BC? in either of those locations there are lots of good teachers. I am sure you can find one to suit you.

Perhaps the instructor needs the money so is allowing students to join the class regardless of the situation?

Children can be disruptive, but sometimes they are not, maybe it was an experiment to see how it would work.

good luck.

Marya

I live in Vancouver BC and after last nights experence I am already looking else where. I do believe its all for the money I had another instructor put on a workshop for viel it was so crowded you couldn't use your viel I even got one in the eye and had toleave. She put out a table even to sell stuff that took up some of the dance floor.
Children thing don't think its a test you should have seen the pair that showed up last week short shorts I got an eye full of something I don't need to see.
Any recommendations in Vancouver BC for a new instructor someone that controls there class, some structure, willing to teach show some respect for the art.

shiradotnet

After two years I just wnt to scream.

My goodness, why on earth did you stay there for two years???? Leave that class! If she's not professional enough to provide an appropriate learning environment, she doesn't deserve your money!

My web site has a directory of teachers and performers here: Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers all Over the World! Belly Dancing Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers! . I don't know many of the dancers in Vancouver, but I am familiar with Rahma, Lynette Harper, and Venus, and would feel good about steering you to any of them. (Though I think I heard Venus was going to be moving away from BC, not sure whether that has happened yet.)

Salome

Administrator
Where are the good belly dancing instructors?

Kids running wild, and no care for student space and attention is definately poor class management. I would be really frustrated too.

Just general musing on the topic... Aside from the swell of under qualified teachers... Another aspect is that the majority of people who take classes are not particularly interested in becoming dancers. They are there to have fun, have 'me' time, exercise, or other intentions that don't have much to do with serious training. There is definately nothing wrong with that in and of itself. People who do get the bug often, at first, came for one of the reasons mentioned above. But if that's not you, finding a serious class, with good content and a capable teacher, isn't always the easiest.

maylynn

Yep, there are some good bellydance instructors in Vancouver - it just takes some finding because there are a LOT of bellydance classes offered. I lived there for 6 years and that's where I started my bd career and started teaching at UBC Rec.

Sarita at Studio 505 is my personal favourite - amazing teacher and supremely beautiful dancer.

Rahma is a Vancouver bd institution and you can't go wrong with her.

If you're into tribal check out belly belly hip, or Martina of Turquoise. Happy to give you more recommendations if you want, just pm me.

Marya

I am glad some other people were able to offer ideas. The folks I was going to recommend either moved away or actually don't live in Vancouver.

Marya

Kharis

I live in Vancouver BC and after last nights experence I am already looking else where. I do believe its all for the money I had another instructor put on a workshop for viel it was so crowded you couldn't use your viel I even got one in the eye and had toleave. She put out a table even to sell stuff that took up some of the dance floor.
Children thing don't think its a test you should have seen the pair that showed up last week short shorts I got an eye full of something I don't need to see.
Any recommendations in Vancouver BC for a new instructor someone that controls there class, some structure, willing to teach show some respect for the art.

i'm of the mind set that one child is okish if they sit like mice, but more than one is a creche. I did allow a mother to bring two of her brats to class one night - they were aged about 8 and 9. They proceeded to slope off to the kitchen area of the hall where I teach, whilst mumsy was dancing, and where the Lady Knitters were holding their monthly tea and cakes meeting, and ate all the effing buns and sarnies! The following week brought the wrath of the knitters down on my head. I was like... WTF! Needless to say, I don't allow kids in my class as spectators anymore.

Kharis

The other thing that gets my goat is when kids run amok whilst your trying to perform. I know there's all this talk regarding how ME folks take their kids to social do's etc, but that does not excuse them divebombing across the dance floor whilst the dancer is trying to dance. Not only dangerous, but downright rude and ignorant.
I actually slogged some child in the face one night when dancing with a veil and spinning. He got in my way and I knocked him flat. Needless to say, he steered well clear after that. I include idiot waiters in this bracket who insist on prancing around you when your dancing. I know they have to serve the food etc, but at least give me some time to see them first and dance away from them.:mad::mad:

Shanazel

No kids in my class unless they are enrolled with special permission- they are liability no-nos. Even the most persistent moms seem to grasp the concept of liabilty issues,

TribalDancer

I teach at a community center, so I allow kids so long as they are polite and quiet. I have never been burned yet! The Moms bring things for the kids to do. Some little ones sometimes jump up and try what we're doing, then go back to their coloring books or electronic game.

Shanazel

I teach through a community center, too, but have not been as fortunate in the matter of attendant children as you have been. The rec center powers that be promptly agreed to back up my no non-enrolled children in class rule.

TribalDancer

I should have clarified. I am not hired by the community center. I rent a room. SO my policies are my policies. And mine are that well behaved children are allowed.

I kind of have a reputation for being a really fun teacher, but also really no-nonsense when it comes to getting to business. My students are for the most part respectful on all fronts because I set that tone pretty clearly from the outset. So I think people with unruly kids probably got that memo and have never brought them...at least so far!

I wish I knew what I did or what students perceive to help keep them so respectful and focused, but whenever I have asked, they never know how to articulate it. Just that they feel like the atmosphere is somehow both really lighthearted and really serious at the same time. That we talk and laugh and connect, but that there is little tolerance for futzing around when it's time to work. I just send off a vibe I guess...?

Last edited:

TribalDancer

I would hand it to you, and anyone else who wanted it, if I could!!

Of course, I am sure I have no jinxed myself and will run back here in a few weeks to complain about just what I have happily so far been immune to! :) LOL!

Shanazel

:lol:

Maybe if you throw salt over your left shoulder while whistling the Barney song you can ward off bad luck?