Post Thanks / Like

Default Greetings from Inner Space!

(or maybe Texas . . . )

Hi,

I play electric violin and other instruments for belly dance troupes around central Texas. I'm also a certified hypnotist who specializes in helping dancers and musicians tap into their inner creativity, remember choreography and lyrics, and develop a commanding stage presence. (Yeah, I also help people quit smoking and lose weight.)

I recently created a hypnosis CD for bellydancers, but you'll need to go to the Market Place section to read more about it.

Thanks for making me welcome,

James "Cedric" Hazlerig

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, Welcome to the forum. Sounds interesting, I have tried hypnosis a couple of times for other things, and it was a waste of time, it just had no effect. I don't suppose everyone responds to it just like medications, what works for one is not always the best solution for another.

I sure need something so I can remember choreographies, written exams are easier than choreo's.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Mosaic,

Thanks for the welcome!

Hypnosis is a lot like dancing--it's both a talent and a skill. The hypnotist is a trance instructor, teaching you the steps to achieve a particular effect, much like a dance instructor. If you don't mesh with the teacher's personality, or the teacher's style, or the content of the lesson, it can get in the way. It's important to find the right hypnotist, just as it is to find the right dance teacher. You're right--the hypnosis technique that works for one person is not always the solution for the next person.

I'm curious, though. Have you ever zoned out while driving, only to discover that you made it where you're going without remembering the trip, or perhaps missed your turn because you were thinking about something else? That's what we call road hypnosis. You see, trance is a naturally occurring state.

Have you ever cried at a movie? (Or gotten scared, or had an adrenalin rush during a movie?) If you have, you've experienced hypnosis that had an effect, because hypnosis is a method for getting real results from imaginary events. You know the movie isn't real, but your emotions don't know that; so you react with real sadness and real tears.

Trance is a naturally occurring state--hypnosis is just a way of learning to get there on purpose and putting it to use when we do.

Anyway, I could go on and on about it, but that tends to make people zone out . . . :-)

Take care,

James

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly have done all those things you mentioned LOL! I never realised they were a hypnotic state. The driving one is very scary, I freaked myself out over that one!

Maybe i set up barriers with therapists before i start a session ... sounds like I am very good at sabotage
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Some folks do set up barriers because a part of them isn't ready to change. I can't say for sure what your situation was, but some clients (especially smokers) are partly afraid to change. That kind of internal conflict can make it tougher.

The nice thing about working on enhancing dance is that there's little risk of that internal conflict. People who use hypnosis to exercise more might dread the prospect of actually exercising, and smokers may dread the thought of a day without a cigarette--but every dancer wants to be better.

Thanks for the conversation! :-)