any recommendations for good shows in Cairo

Arcavia

Could anyone recommend some good bellydance shows in Cairo. I mean, not just the one for tourists, but the ones where locals would go too and where, ideally, you could also dance afterwards.

It does not need to be free but should not be extremely expensive either.

The location can be as wel high class as slum, as long as it is not dangerous. It for a male friend of mine who will be ik Cairo from 12 to 14 of april.

Thank you in advance

Salome

Administrator
Never been so not a personal recommend but I know a lot of people go to the nile maxim dinner cruise and there is social dancing as well as a show.

Caroline_afifi

Could anyone recommend some good bellydance shows in Cairo. I mean, not just the one for tourists, but the ones where locals would go too and where, ideally, you could also dance afterwards.

The location can be as wel high class as slum, as long as it is not dangerous. It for a male friend of mine who will be ik Cairo from 12 to 14 of april.

Thank you in advance

It depends who you are going with and if it is your first time or not.

I can suggest many places but I dont know if you could find them.

If you get into na taxi and ask for a place the driver will say Yes even if he does not have a clue!

Yasmina of cairo and Outi have very general info on their websites and they maybe what you are looking for.

Tarik Sultan

High to low brow

Thank you in advance

There are many things to see. First on my list, for REAL Egyptian folklore is the Tanura show across the street from Khan el Khalili in Isalmic Cairo. Its on the right hand side of Azhar bridge. Ask anyone, they will show you. I forgot the day of the week, but its a free show. The best Egyptian dervishes. Its a must see!

For Oriental dance, not much left, but my tops are Lucy at the Parisiana. Even if she's not in the mood to really dance, her band is phenomenal. The Nile MAxim always has a good show. Don't know who is dancing though. Dancers to check for, Randa Kamal, Asmahan, Soraya and of course Dina. These places will set you back a few hundred Egyptian pounds. Its best if you go with a large group and then you can negotiate on the price. Just a word of caution to him, any girls he sees getting up and dancing at the Parisiana.... let's just say, don't ask them for a dance......

There are also scores of baladi joints around. From the colorful to the down right seedy. The Queen boat, (yes the place with the scandal a few years back. Under new management) has singers and dancers, can't remember the times the dancers came. Lots of Gulf tourists and some local Egyptians. He'll want to go to the club upstairs, not the disco downstairs. Should set him back 100 Egyptian. WARNING: The music in all these places is LOUD! Bring ear plugs

For soaking up the local color, the best and most inexpensive hang out is across the street from the Nile Hilton on the river. This is where all the locals and their families go to hang out in the evenings. There are dozens of fishing boats rigged out with neon lights and blasting Shabbi music. Just sit back and watch the locals dance and party. Its only 2 Egyptian pounds to go for a spin on the river, so the thing to do is to go boat hopping all night. The fun part is to figure out which boat is going to have the most animated crowd and then jump on before it pulls out. Also in the same vein, the coffee house behind Hussain Mosque has music every Friday night. Can't guarantee that he'll see dancing, but for a few cups of coffee and a shisha he gets to hear some locals singing. Tips are encouraged and they help the musicians

The Makan on Sad Zaghloul Street has free music concerts of Saidi and Zar music. Once again, I don't remember the day.
If your friend plans on going to Sharam el Shiekh he should check out the Tito Show.

Outi

There are many things to see. First on my list, for REAL Egyptian folklore is the Tanura show across the street from Khan el Khalili in Isalmic Cairo. Its on the right hand side of Azhar bridge. Ask anyone, they will show you. I forgot the day of the week, but its a free show. The best Egyptian dervishes. Its a must see!
Two days a week / one of them Wednesday

The Makan on Sad Zaghloul Street has free music concerts of Saidi and Zar music. Once again, I don't remember the day.
Tuesday

Tarik Sultan

Two days a week / one of them Wednesday

Tuesday
Thanks sweetie. Hey, do you know where they have the Saidi music concert in Khan el Khalili. Its another free concert thing, but I don't know if its still going on or what night.

Here's a photo for you

Arcavia

Thank you very much indeed

Thank you very much indeed all of you for your valuable advice. I am sure it will help. It also really makes me feel like going myself. :D

Unfortunately the pushy mentality of many locals towards tourists (assuming people in Cairo are the same as in Marrakesh) tends to put me off. I wish I could blend in and enjoy myself in peace. Anyway, I can still enjoy myself dancing here in Holland.

Take care and keep enjoying yourself

Tarik Sultan

Thank you very much indeed all of you for your valuable advice. I am sure it will help. It also really makes me feel like going myself. :D

Unfortunately the pushy mentality of many locals towards tourists (assuming people in Cairo are the same as in Marrakesh) tends to put me off. I wish I could blend in and enjoy myself in peace. Anyway, I can still enjoy myself dancing here in Holland.

Take care and keep enjoying yourself

Cairo is no where near as hard sell as Marrakesh. Some parts of Upper Egypt can be, not Luxor or Aswan though. The people are also much more friendlier and warm than in Morocco. You should go, you'd have a blast!