Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who needs to hire a dancer for a wedding...

...when you can do it yourself?

snopes.com: Beaded Wedding Dress

Post Thanks / Like

This caused quite an uproar a few years ago and I was actually one of those people that went, "WTF??? Why would you wear that to a wedding???" This was of course, way before I started belly dancing or I would've recognized that as a bedlah!

Bridalwear

The website above was the one where I discovered those pictures and the author was clearly in a state of shock too heehee...
    Last edited by maria_harlequin; 03-28-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason it's not letting me edit my message...here's the link:

Bridalwear

**oops never mind. The edit button is working now**

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't she a peach? And talk about getting a dress you can wear again! I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not even that naked when I dance!!

Eman Zaki designed and made my wedding gown in Cairo... it was a real wedding dress not a 'bedlah type'.

She does however get a few requests for 'bedlah wedding dresses'

Post Thanks / Like

Umf.... seen somewhere pix of a Russian bride getting married in a bikini... lost the link though....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

For me just because there is a tradition (based on pretty outdated and patriarchal stuff) that you wear a certain thing to a wedding, doesn't mean you should. I find it pretty dodgy that people spend a lot of money and world's resources on a dress that it worn once. So getting a dress that reflects your passion and you can use again to me is bang on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    For me just because there is a tradition (based on pretty outdated and patriarchal stuff) that you wear a certain thing to a wedding, doesn't mean you should. I find it pretty dodgy that people spend a lot of money and world's resources on a dress that it worn once. So getting a dress that reflects your passion and you can use again to me is bang on.
    For my senior banquet, I wore a white medieval style gown with long flowing sleeves and a teacher of mine said, "You can just use that again for your wedding!"

I would but unfortunately the gown was torn a few years ago and couldn't be fixed (stupid me lending it to a theater production).

I wouldn't mind getting a dress for a wedding that I would only wear once though!!! I want my Lindsay Flemming or Kathleen Crowley wedding dress darn it - even if it's ridiculously expensive and I can never wear it anywhere else! I'll have an expensive dress and an economical wedding somewhere in the woods.

Actually I don't think most "traditional" wedding gowns are patriarchal. Like I don't see ball gowns which are probably the most popular style of wedding dresses today and almost a "tradition" as patriarchal. Unless by "traditional" you mean white. And the idea that a bride should wear white was actually made popular by a woman - Queen Victoria! Is there even a "traditional" wedding dress? Western wedding dresses seem to have changed so much throughout the centuries that I can't even think about what's traditional.

Unless traditional means no bedlah!

I agree with you about how you shouldn't just wear what "you should" though but what you really love. My dance teacher wore this gorgeous knee-length flapper style gown for her wedding with an open back with gold chains embellished with Swarovski crystals. Definitely not the norm but she was gorgeous!
    Last edited by maria_harlequin; 03-28-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post

Actually I don't think most "traditional" wedding gowns are patriarchal. Like I don't see ball gowns which are probably the most popular style of wedding dresses today and almost a "tradition" as patriarchal. Unless by "traditional" you mean white. And the idea that a bride should wear white was actually made popular by a woman - Queen Victoria! Is there even a "traditional" wedding dress? Western wedding dresses seem to have changed so much throughout the centuries that I can't even think about what's traditional.
    You don't have to be male to perpetuate patriarchy.

You don't see commonality in what brides traditionally wear to weddings?? I see nothing but.

If people want to wear that, it's great, but if people want to wear something else, that is great too.

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own wedding dress from a Vogue pattern and fabric I got on sale for 75% off. I think the whole thing cost me $50 in 1981. It was a traditional full skirted empire waisted long sleeved satin gown. Color: off white (like me). I've been using pieces of left over satin and lace in art projects for years.

If I was getting married today, I'd probably wear my best jeans and have a barbeque after the ceremony, but I don't regret wearing that dress at the age of 26.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast